Profile for Bonzo The Great > Reviews

Rick Stein's India
Rick Stein's India
by Rick Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome...., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
Beyond awesome. I am a bit of a foodie, and have been buying cookery books for 30 odd years. My first book on Indian food was from Madhur Jaffrey published by Marks & Spencer (which is a good book, but based in the early 1980s when ingredients were hard to find). One of my earlier books from the 1980s was written by Keith Floyd who made reference to a young chef in Cornwall who was doing fantastic things with fish, but who was too shy to appear on TV. That chef was Rick Stein.

Rick Stein's book is truly awesome as I work my way through it. I urge readers to try the vegetable recipes - and my reason for urging this is that I can find very few reviews of these vegetable recipes on the net and presume that most people are trying the meat recipes and reviewing them. After trying the meat and egg recipes, I tried some of the vegetable and dal recipes and they turned out to be something else - do try them.... I am not a vegetarian for the reason that I find them bland, but Rick's recipes for vegetables, eggs, and pulses are fantastic.

One of my favourite books.....

Samsung - SCX-4500 Multifunctional Printer
Samsung - SCX-4500 Multifunctional Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, not very good - packed up after 6 months, 11 Mar. 2014
I bought one of these about 6 months ago. After 4 months the print quality was terrible. I bought a new print cartridge for it (genuine, not aftermarket) and it worked for about 3 weeks and then the print quality declined again. Thinking that it must be a cleaning problem, I sought out instructions for cleaning it, but there aren't any online or anywhere (the only instructions are how to clean the outside, not the drum). Samsung don't want you to clean these internally, but want you to buy a new printer.

I took their inferred advice and bought a new laser printer. One from Hewlett Packard, who make decent printers....

Frank's RedHot Chile and Lime Sauce 354 ml (Pack of 3)
Frank's RedHot Chile and Lime Sauce 354 ml (Pack of 3)
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome, 23 Aug. 2013
Quite hard to find in the UK, but Amazon and some specialist suppliers stock it. At first, I didn't take to it, but after using it to make some 'wing sauce', I was smitten. It is now my favourite hot sauce.

Michel Thomas Method: Portuguese Foundation Course
Michel Thomas Method: Portuguese Foundation Course
by Virginia Catmur
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Painless And Addictive!, 21 Oct. 2009
My first experience of the Michel Thomas courses was the Spanish course which was simplicity itself (Spanish being very easy to learn as it is so regular).

Having a grasp of Spanish (and French) makes learning Portuguese VERY easy using this course. The vocab is of course extremely similar to Spanish, so anyone with a knowledge of Spanish is most of the way there already. The course enables one to work on the pronunciation and what initially seems quite complicated, very soon becomes clear, and obvious. Very quickly, one 'gets' the nasal sound of European Portuguese and understands what makes the language 'tick' - probably something that someone who has learned Spanish would get much faster.

Of course, the Michel Thomas courses only really give you the most common verbs, their conjugations, and tenses with a few pronouns and objects/subjects thrown in, and is very 'light' on nouns. As a result, you will not 'learn' the language with this course, but it will impart you with 'knowledge' of its construction, and an ability to take any one of some 2000+ words in English that are similar to the Portuguese equivalent (due to the Latin root) and immediately translate them knowing where to put the stress and how the pronunciation will work. This is Michel Thomas' strength, it points out the obvious to the point where you will curse your French teacher at school for making you learn it by rote instead of teaching you how to construct the language.

I didn't find the teacher on this course patronising as some have suggested. She is clear and precise on her pronunciation and I think she is clearer than Michel Thomas himself would have been (some complain that on the old MT recordings, one could hear his dentures move which was a bit off putting!)

Jamie's America
Jamie's America
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, A Mainstream American Cookbook..., 15 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Jamie's America (Hardcover)
Clearly, Jamie isn't going to cover the entire sphere of American cookery in one book, but to my knowledge, this is possibly the first mainstream high profile book on the subject, so well done Jamie.

I've had an interest in different American cuisines for quite some time, and as an immigrant country the cuisines are obviously as diverse as the origins of the population which makes American cuisines far more diverse than those of Europe.

The public and media perception of US cuisine is obviously skewed to what it is familiar with, deep pan pizza, mass produced tex mex, and the ubiquitous soggy hamburger and fries. These are the imports of high margin, aggressive multinationals. But there is so much more to American food....

The problem is finding out about it. The cuts of meat, the commercial sauces, the regional differences within the US, etc.

I was delighted to find that Jamie includes a recipe for Beer Can Chicken, something rarely seen this side of the pond, but now the ONLY way I roast chicken (but Jamie gets it slightly wrong, the rub should go under the skin, not on it - is this a transcription error?) - this can turn even the most boring mass produced chicken into something special.

I already cook a number of dishes that Jamie covers, and these are some of my favourites, so I think Jamie's selection of dishes is spot on.

As an introduction to the more exciting and tasty American foods, this is simply an excellent book and highly recommended. All I would say is that it still a bit of a starting point. There are plenty of internet resources for developing recipes, and seeing how other people do the same things, and some commercial products that would be used in the US aren't referred to in Jamie's book, but they CAN be obtained occasionally in the UK.

WEBER TUCK AWAY LID HOLDER SS 47/57CM
WEBER TUCK AWAY LID HOLDER SS 47/57CM

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, but effective device, 5 Aug. 2009
Far, far better than picking up a hot lid and trying to find somewhere to put it down safely. Its very simple and very effective.

Michel Thomas Foundation Course: German (2nd edition) (Michel Thomas Series)
Michel Thomas Foundation Course: German (2nd edition) (Michel Thomas Series)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished Methodology, 5 Aug. 2009
I have used Michel Thomas' Spanish course before and was able to attain, in his words', a functional standard of the language. That was 5 years ago, and I have retained the knowledge very well. An incident in Switzerland where I was trying to buy some food from some South Americans and had to converse in Spanish as our only common language prompted me to look out for this German course again.

Last year, out of interest, I bought this course, copied it to my iPod and started to listen to it on a car journey, but only got as far as CD1. One year later, I came back to it, and I had not forgotten a word of that first CD; the teaching method is really that powerful. I shall now continue with the course (not 'persevere', as I actually enjoy these, but was simply doing other things).

Where Michel Thomas wins is to point out the similarities of the language and derivations of words. English is an unusual language in that there are often two forms for each word, one Germanic and the other Norman French. Naturalised English speakers can subtley code-shift between these two forms without even knowing that they are doing it, just in order to add emphisis. So, it should be no surprise that as English is a cousin of German with often little more than a 16th century vowel shift to separate words, it should be actually pretty easy to pick up although it does appear daunting. The same also happens to apply to French.

Thomas picks up on this and points out the similarities, and encourages you to build on this and probably most importantly, in the privacy of your own home/car, you can undertake the course without sounding like a right plum while you hone the pronounciation and word order.

The method IS powerful. The vocab is of course short, but his method on teaching verbs and tenses first gives you a running start on being able to use it in real situations.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good., 1 July 2009
An excellent product.

There are a number of aluminium-based anti-perspirants on the market, and this is just one of them. However, the pump-spray action of this makes it more suitable than most which are either pastes or roll-ons.

I suffer horribly from facial and cranial sweating in the Summer: the slighest exertion brings out beads of sweat on my forehead and scalp (but nowhere else to be honest). I was considering surgery to cut the nerve that controls this, out of desperation, but in my online search for a surgical procedure, I came across this.

For me, it works. I spray it on my face (covering eyes) and comb it through my hair at night, and it basically stops me sweating for the next few days. I don't bother with it on my armpits because I use a similar product (Perspirex) from Boots.

It can sting a bit on application (but not much), but it is worth it. I can now cycle through London in 30 degree Summer heat, and still arrive at Waterloo Station hot, but not sweating. That's good as far as I am concerned, and I didn't need to submit to surgery. Even better!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 10:55 PM BST

Weber 'One Touch Gold' 57cm Bowl Black
Weber 'One Touch Gold' 57cm Bowl Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on anything else! It rocks..., 12 May 2009
Compared to Gas BBQs (which are actually grills if you want to be pedantic), this is so much more flexible.

It can grill (I'm not a fan of this, so you can keep your burgers, charred but uncooked chicken, and sausages which seem to form the basis of 'English BBQ'), but with one of these you can also slow roast, fast roast, and also smoke food.

The key to all this is incredibly simple, the lid! A lid turns a grill into an oven - put the coals on one side, and cook the food indirectly on the other side, perhaps with some fruit wood to get the correct BBQ flavour beloved of Southern US states where they have perfected BBQ.

The ash collection system on this is simple, but inspired. A few wiggles of the lever, and all the ash falls into the can for simple disposal - no need to turn it on its side to get the ash out.

The kettle will last for years because the coating is enamel and applied at a higher temperature than charcoal reaches, so it will last for years.

Yes, its expensive for a charcoal barbecue, but its a whole lot cheaper than a gas grill and ten times more flexible.

Remember, buying a £2000 gas barbecue doesn't make you a better grill master, it just means you have more money. This has everything a competent cook needs. Just don't be tempted by the 47cm version of this Weber, its just a bit too small.

The Moro Cookbook
The Moro Cookbook
by Samantha Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book That Actually Gets Under The Skin Of Spanish Cuisine!, 15 April 2009
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
This is definitely a book that should be a guidebook rather than an instruction book. As the restaurant changes its menu weekly, it soon becomes obvious that this is cooking 'on the hoof'.

In the restaurant (I have been), because the menu changes weekly, the presentation will never be well practised which focuses the attention on the taste rather than the appearance. Similarly, with the book, it should give you ideas, and not be set in stone.

There are some fantastic ideas for the marriage of spices and meats, and if, like the book, you get under the skin of the cuisine, you can develop your own dishes. This book leads you by the hand to discover the soul of a different cuisine rather than set recipes in stone.

My only regret? It doesn't have a recipe (or instructions) for Migas (Google "Sam Clark Migas BBC" for this fantastic recipe).

Page: 1 | 2