Profile for Kirkus > Reviews

Content by Kirkus

Kirkus

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Ibanez AEW40CD Electro-Acoustic Guitar in Natural High Gloss (Cordia)
Ibanez AEW40CD Electro-Acoustic Guitar in Natural High Gloss (Cordia)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cordia wood, buy one while you can., 6 Oct. 2015
I am a long term fan of Ibanez guitars, yet purchased this after breaking one of my rules of always trying a guitar out before buying. Thank fully I have not been disappointed. Being a singer/songwriter who goes to many open mike nights, I wanted a guitar that was good amplefied, having grown tired of my other electro acoustics 'booming' too much whilst on stage, yet I also didn't have the money for such as a 'Taylor' or 'Martin', so fell back on good old Ibanez for a gamble purchase.
This guitar has a thinner body, leading itself to amplification without feedback and booming, plus an excellent Ibanez preamp to Fishman pickup. My main suprise has been in how well it also sounds unampliefied. It just 'rings' on a note for ages, and I can only put this down to the Cordia wood it is made from. Having done a little bit of exploring on the net about this wood, I found that it has mainly been used in the past for only expensive hand made luthier guitars, and to my mind I can see why, it just sings with a beautiful tone. Admittedly not too full, being a thinner body, but under no circumstances can it be called thin sounding, I just love the sound of it, and this comes from a guitarist who has mainly favoured bigger bodied jumbo acoustics in the past.
It's was set up fine for me straight out of the box, with a nice medium action for my fingers.
Catch one of these whilst you can, before they all go and you can no longer buy a Cordia wood guitar for this price and don't worry about the name on the head stock. I'm proud of mine.

Korg KR-MINI Rhythm Machine
Korg KR-MINI Rhythm Machine

2.0 out of 5 stars A need for more usability., 22 Sept. 2015
Before buying this as I read the instruction manual on line, which gives the impression that you can assign the two foot pedals that you can plug in to the unit, to any of the units features. This led me to assume that you could assign one pedal to say a bass/kick drum and another to a cymbal which for me would be a very useful tool to have for a single musician who plays alone. Unfortunately it won't allow this, and will only allow you to use the pedals to start/stop a sequence, and as a start/stop for a fill. I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt though, yet found that it offered nothing more than I can easily get (in fact less to be honest) with any one of my drum apps on my pad, so returned it for a refund. A chance missed by Korg I think, in as much a little more thought in what could be assigned to attached foot pedals could have made it a much more useful tool for the gigging musician.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2016 3:56 PM BST

JLL® S300 digital treadmill, Two man delivery included, 20 Auto incline, digital motor control technology with 4.5HP motor and 16 km/h max speed with 5 years guarantee, 2016 new generation Digital Motorised Treadmill with CE certification, High power speakers, USB audio interface, 15 professional running programmes, folding and wheels, Digital motor controller with unique 0.3 km/h (0.18 mph) smooth start speed, Lifetime frame guarantee and 2-year Parts & Labour warranty.
Offered by JLL Fitness Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great treadmill, great price, cheaper than a gym membership., 30 July 2015
I love this treadmill, Ive owned one for just over a week now, and bought it direct from the manufacturer.

I've used it most days since, and find more than adequate for my 5,10, 14.5 stone bulk, and that's using it for both running and jogging. For me its hell of a lot cheaper than a years gym membership especially as I only tend to go on the treadmills in gyms anyway, and more convenient with it being located at home staring at me in the conservatory after work saying "You need to use me, you know you do!". I find the length and width of the belt area more than I could ever need, and not much off what I've used in the past in gyms.

I cant really comment on its features such as speakers in built or programs as I just set it going and walk or run, with my own hi-fi blasting in the background, but I do use the incline up to 10%, and feel its very good and sturdy. On the first few uses I had to play with setting the adjustable feet up or down to get rid of rattles and squeaks, but now that's done all I can hear in use is the low sound of the motor and belt.

I've yet to read about the maintenance that I may need to do in future to keep it in working order, as I'm sure it will need some from the user as its a high end usage product getting a lot of stick, but if I continue using it as i do, Id be willing to have it properly serviced every year if it needed it. Will post updates if needed in future.

Samsung WB350F Smart Camera - Black (16.3MP, Optical Image Stabilisation) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality camera for street photography., 28 Nov. 2014
Received my new camera today, and on first day impressions it seems very well built and good for the tasks that it has been made for. As a keen hobby street photographer, who likes to send his time composing a good shot, rather than worrying about all the settings, I was looking for a camera small enough to be pocketed, yet good quality pics as well. Ive owned many cameras through the years for this purpose, and tend to upgrade when this size bracket has major improvements enough to justify it. This camera fills all my needs.

Usage on my first day has given me the impression that it may be better to get used to the cameras 'smart mode' settings, and choose one yourself, rather than let the camera choose it by leaving it in 'Auto' mode. To give an example, I tried taking a close up shot of a resting moth sat on a door in 'Auto' mode, and although the camera would keep going into 'Macro' mode, it would flick between this mode and others too quickly whilst composing the shot. This was too annoying for me, so I choose macro fully in 'smart mode'.

Ive seen some reviews complaining about the Aperture, Shutter and Manual modes being on the same slot on the selector dial, but with the touch screen I quite like this, I found it easy to use.

Much discussion has been had about the effectiveness of the smart camera app, but Ive found it to be very good, providing a simple, quick and easy way to transfer photos to my ipad. Something Ive not been able to do before. Its quick, and does all its meant to do as far as I can see.

I was pleased to see that it came bundled with a Samsung branded usb plug, leaving the option to plug it into the mains for charging rather than just a pc.

Dont feel I can really talk about the low light quality issue yet, as not tried this out enough, but will post an update when I have.

Too Much Information: Or: Can Everyone Just Shut Up for a Moment, Some of Us Are Trying to Think

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many question marks?, 15 Sept. 2014
I haven't been able to finish this book, which is strange given that I have liked Dave Gormans other books greatly. Yet this one just seemed to fall into the trap that its own title seems to be complaining about. Dave talks in his well known style, about the amount of useless information that is available everywhere, especially on the internet, but he just seems to repeat it all, whilst asking lots of questions of why it is need or there in the first place. I actually grew very tired of this type of humerus questioning and ended up counting the amount of question marks on each page, why do it? whats its purpose? where is his own conclusions? where is his own take on it? Hopefully you can see my ironic reasoning here.

Kindle Paperwhite (6th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the size and Vocabulary Builder especially. But the rest is great as well., 11 Sept. 2014
When I opened my new Kindle Paperwhite, I was admittedly surprised by how small it was, but this has proven to be one of the things that I like about it. I can carry it around in the same hand as a cup of tea, and it is actually easier to manipulate and hold than an actual book, especially when reading in places like bed.

One of the other aspects of the Paperwhite I really appreciate, is the Vocabulary Builder. Being a reader who looks at reading as a constant ongoing education, I find the builder useful as it keeps a record of every word you look up in the dictionary, and presents them when you want, as a collection of flashcards to improve your knowledge of words upon. I have learnt words such as animus, vituperative and folderol, in only the first few days that I've owned it.

My Ipad is getting guilty, the Paperwhite is now getting all of my attention.

Orange Micro crush CR3
Orange Micro crush CR3
Offered by Strings Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived today and just had to leave a review., 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Orange Micro crush CR3
I read and read again, all the other reviews on here about this mini amp, before buying one, and shouldn't have bothered reading them really, as for a £36 mini amp, I can only say that I think its ace.

As for the bad reviews,ok, so yes, it may distort a little if you push it, but its only a mini amp any how. I wasnt expecting a full size Orange amp sound. But I kind of actually like the fact that it will distort if I push my playing at certain volume levels, it has personality, and after only ten minutes of playing through it, I learned how to control and use this distortion to my advantage, by including it in my playing if wanted. Isnt this kind of individuality what we look for in more expensive, bigger amps? I suppose what Im trying to say is, take this little super amp for what it is, and enjoy it. It looks totally gorgeous, and sounds great. Just buy it, dont question.

My guitar I used by the way, is a 70s Yamaha SG, with humbuckers. Ive also tried it with two different electro acoustics with piezos, and it sounds fine on them as well.

Six
Six
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Prog... its prog.... yes it is., 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Six (Audio CD)
This is one of my fav albums from the 90s. A band that was so underrated. This album is up there with many of Pink Floyds for me, and that says exactly what Im saying, its prog rock, just take a look at the classic prog type cover, a term people are scared to use, but what does it matter now, sadly Mansun are no more. But its the type of prog I really like, a full album about lifes ups and downs, and no 20 minute keyboard solos, just plenty of deep and thoughtful melodic rock to get your ears around. Buy it if you dont already own it, please. If your a Floyd or Marillion fan, you wont be disappointed. Just wish I could get it on vinyl cheap enough.

Wreaking
Wreaking
by James Scudamore

3.0 out of 5 stars It lost me, or maybe I lost it., 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Wreaking (Hardcover)
I will admit from the start, that I have only read half of this book, but in a way that is my point. The story lost my interest as I couldn't really see a story, and it wasn't for trying on my half. I wanted to like it, I really did. I liked the idea about a story based around an old mental asylum on the south coast. Yet it flittered and flew all over the place, like a pigeon that may have been trapped in the aforementioned asylum. My problem lies with the fact that I think I could see what the author is trying to do with it, but it could use some strand that keeps it all moving, as well as the readers interest.

For all I know it could improve in the second half, and start to make some sense, but at that halfway point I needed to read something with more substance, not a collection of chapters around the different characters, who are obviously all linked, but I felt was going nowhere. I became frustrated with having to hold on to snippets of information that the earlier chapters had given, in the hope that they would all start to piece together at some stage, which Im sure they will do somewhere in the book, but unfortunately for me, way too far ahead.

The books saving grace that kept me going as far as I did, is its use of some beautiful prose, such as "waves break beyond the beach-house clapboard of the banister slats" and "he can smell the river - mineral mud, saline and kelpy". So very descriptive and in its way, poetical. Maybe this is what the author is looking to evoke with this book, feelings, memories, sights and sounds that relate more than just an A to B story, and in its way it achieves this, so don't let me put you off, you may get further than I did, I hope you do, as the book has left me feeling like I did when I failed my O level English, disappointed in myself for not trying harder. I have a feeling that at some stage in the future, I may return to have a go at the second half, as I did with the O level.

Hitchers
Hitchers
by Will McIntosh

4.0 out of 5 stars Sublime story of the desire to live, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Hitchers (Hardcover)
To be dead. What does that mean? This story winds interestingly around this idea, but its also about relationships. Its really a ghost story with a twist, involving our relationship with death and with loved ones. What happens to our dreams and desires when we die? Could they be so strong that they live on? I found it thought provoking. I have given the book 4 stars, purely because I feel that the writer could have made more of the emotions that his characters would have felt. I wont give too much away in order to spoil the story, but given what happened to his characters, this would have created a greater release of emotions then it did, so in a way I found that part of the writing unrealistic, but please don't let this put you off. I liked it, very much. It kept me wanting to go back for more, holding me rapt for what it was prepared to throw at me next. Not sure what genre, this book would fall into, I actually found it in the fantasty/sci-fi section of my local library, but it could also easily fall into horror I suppose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4