Profile for Dr. Matthew C. Nicholls > Reviews

Content by Dr. Matthew C....

Dr. Matthew C. Nicholls

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Oskar & Ellen 1-2-3 Counting Fabric Book
Oskar & Ellen 1-2-3 Counting Fabric Book
Offered by nic nac noo

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely counting toy for babies, 3 Jun. 2015
This is a lovely well made thing. Our daughter loved it from an early age and we bought another for a friend's baby. The shapes, colours, and numbers make it very interesting for little people. The monkey on the first page looks a bit like Gordon Brown.

Genuine Renault Nissan Parcel Shelf String Clip x2
Genuine Renault Nissan Parcel Shelf String Clip x2
Offered by Auto-Accessorize

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in Nissan Note, 18 Nov. 2014
Worked well in our Nissan Note. Delighted to get these replaced - our garage quoted some silly price, so I was grateful to Amazon reviewers who said these would work in our car.

1 Pair LED Bicycle Light VERY BRIGHT BIKE LED LIGHT mount at fork handlebar seat post Red and White FROG LIGHT
Offered by WORLDTREE

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-replaceable batteries but very good for the price, 30 Jun. 2014
A reminder of how cheap containerised shipping from the far east must be - these things came from Hong Kong, I think, for a tiny price including shipping. They mount nicely round the front bar of my Taga trike for added visibility when taking my daughter to/from nursery. They're nice and bright. When the battery runs down (which is hasn't yet) I will have to throw them away because there is no way that I can see of opening the rubberised housing for replacement, but at this price they're practically disposable.

Topeak HeadLux Helmet Light - Black/Red/White
Topeak HeadLux Helmet Light - Black/Red/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 30 Jun. 2014
Mounts easily to my helmet (the velcro strap loops round one of the plastic 'bars' of the helmet). Good bright light with a couple of different settings. Not for illuminating the road, but good to let other drivers see you: and when I get home the constant torch setting allows me to open my bike shed, back door, etc because the torch is always pointing where I am looking. Gets through the batteries a bit, but that's fair enough given the brightness, and you can easily get cheap replacements.

Herbert: Five Stories
Herbert: Five Stories
by Ivor Cutler

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Herbert: Five Stories (Paperback)
This is a lovely book. It has both a chicken and a capybara in it, which is recommendation enough for any book. The illustrations are delightful and it has the music for a capybara song printed in it (twice). And when our copy arrived it turned out to be signed!

MOP & BROOM HOLDER HOLDS 10 BROOMS OR MOPS - TWIN PACK
MOP & BROOM HOLDER HOLDS 10 BROOMS OR MOPS - TWIN PACK
Offered by One Click Wonder

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 21 Nov. 2013
Much bigger than I expected - looks like it could hold tools in a workshop or garage. Mounted in our laundry room it does a good job of holding up mops, brooms, etc. the roller ball holders work as they're meant to and are easy to use. Pleased with this though for our needs a smaller, slimmer unit would have done the job.

Shackleton
Shackleton
by Roland Huntford

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent biography; needs to be read in context, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Shackleton (Paperback)
This is a terrific biography and should be on the shelf of anyone interested in the heroic age of Polar Exploration. It tackles a giant character in an era that was well stocked with extraordinary men attempting enormous feats of endurance. Huntford writes brilliantly, and sets Shackleton's expeditions into the context of his life and times very well indeed.
Other reviewers have said that H. doesn't indulge in hero worship and tells us about his subject's faults. That's true, and there were plenty of them. Shackleton's preparations, especially financial, were haphazard and irresponsible; he may have saved his men from disaster but he also precipitated them into it, and his terrible selection of personnel and lack of contingency planning were partly responsible for the sad fiasco of the other half of his Transantarctic expedition (the men that were laying depots, rather than waiting for rescue on Elephant Isle). That he rises above all this as a compelling, likeable, and admirable figure is testament to H's abilities as a biographer and to his affection for his subject. I do think this book should be read alongside the (equally good, even more clearly opinionated) dual biography of Scott and Amundsen, in which Huntford's caustic dislike of Scott is very apparent. That important book affected opinion of Scott in particular for a long time, and its views make sense of some of the lines taken this biography of Scott's one-time colleague, one-time rival.

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Penguin history)
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Penguin history)
by James M. McPherson

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding single volume history of the civil war, 1 Oct. 2013
This is a great book. Dense in detail but lucid and engaging; written with humanity and not without humour, and in total command of its subject from politics to battlefields to economic and demographic history. Not a light read, but a very rewarding one if you want an introduction to this fascinating era of American history.

Caselogic Small Hard Drive Case - Black
Caselogic Small Hard Drive Case - Black
Offered by freshegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little case, 1 Oct. 2013
I use this to carry my backup drive around in my bike panniers and it's done a great job so far - robust, rigid shell, an elastic strap to keep the drive in one place and stop it sliding, and a handy net inside to tuck the short USB cable into. Just the job.

BE.EZ LA Robe Sleeve for MacBook Air 11" 2010 or newer Marine/Azur
BE.EZ LA Robe Sleeve for MacBook Air 11" 2010 or newer Marine/Azur
Offered by KMS Kafitz Medienservice GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, lightweight - ideal, 1 Oct. 2013
I've had this for a while now and it's lasted very well.
The key thing about the MacBook Air, of course, is how light and slim it is, so you don't want a case that bulks it out. With this sleeve on I can still get it into a briefcase or backpack without it taking up too much space. It's padded enough to protect the computer but not so fat that it compromises its portability.
The only downside is that there's nowhere for accessories - fair enough, that's not what it's designed for - but I tend to carry my MDP to VGA adaptor round with the laptop so I can plug it into projectors. I just tuck it into the sleeve with the laptop, trying to remember to put it on the base side of the laptop to avoid it scratching that lovely aluminium lid, and that's been fine so far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3