Profile for Mr. D. J. Waddell > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. J. Waddell

Mr. D. J. Waddell (London)

The Good Honeymoon Guide: And Where to Get Married Abroad
The Good Honeymoon Guide: And Where to Get Married Abroad
by Lucy Hone
Price: 10.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Broad and detailed, 7 Oct 2007
This book is fairly heavy on text, but hence strong on information and that information is quite broad ranging. Each location has a general review along with a factbox with useful telephone numbers, typical temperatures, plug type, etc. Really helpful for the planning stages. Certainly suitable for considering adventures beyond only honeymoons.

The Ultimate Guide to the World's Best Wedding and Honeymoon Destinations
The Ultimate Guide to the World's Best Wedding and Honeymoon Destinations
by Elizabeth Lluch
Price: 11.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures, but lacking something..., 7 Oct 2007
This book has been helpful to me in the initial stages to planning my honeymoon. The pictures are great, and a lot of great locations are highlighted to inspire. But I've found it hard to critically assess those locations. Why it sings the praises of so many destinations around the world, it falls shy of the balance that might be helpful to someone in my position. I don't doubt the truths outlined in the book, but some more depth would have been helpful, beyond what appeared to be more of a sales pitch. A great dal of detail about specific hotels. But that wasn't quite what I was looking for. I was keen to choose a world location first and then think later about which hotel.

A Voyage For Madmen
A Voyage For Madmen
by Peter Nichols

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent gripping story, 24 Dec 2004
This review is from: A Voyage For Madmen (Paperback)
I read this book with a little trepidation some time ago, but was instantly gripped by the storytelling. I am a sailor myself and took particular interest in the story, but eventually passed the book on to friends of mine (not sailors) who also enjoyed it. The story is true, although I supect the author takes some artistic licence in his telling of it. He does well to introduce us to nine very different characters (the race participants) who aim for the same goal, but with very separate adventures. The story bounces between each character in a way that seems to leave a series of intriguing cliffhangers throughout the book. A must read.