Profile for Barrie Potter > Reviews

Content by Barrie Potter

Barrie Potter

Neewer MB-D12 Replacement Vertical Battery Holder Grip for Nikon D800/D800E/D800S
Offered by Global_omouk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Dec. 2014
Does what it is supposed to a a fraction of the Nikon equivalent

LINDY 41214 - VGA Splitter Cable 2 Way
LINDY 41214 - VGA Splitter Cable 2 Way

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited, 19 Dec. 2014
Well, it worked, sort of, but would only mirror the desk top, not extend it. OK perhaps for use with a projector where you can monitor what the project or is showing, but if you want to extend the desktop, spend £15 more on a video card.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Never go without it, 20 Jan. 2014
Massive improvement on its variable f-stop predecessor. Distortion can be an issue, but easily sorted in Adobe RAW Converter or Lightroom.

Samsung SE-506AB External USB 2.0 Slimline  6x Blue-ray Writer and 8X DVD Writer - Black
Samsung SE-506AB External USB 2.0 Slimline 6x Blue-ray Writer and 8X DVD Writer - Black
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, 20 Jan. 2014
Much faster than the built-in DVD drive. Works well, and there's not much more I can say about it, and that's it.

ZT Amplification Lunchbox Acoustic Guitar Amplifier
ZT Amplification Lunchbox Acoustic Guitar Amplifier

3.0 out of 5 stars Good amp when not crackling, 20 Jan. 2014
Good sound quality, but occasionally starts crackling and hissing for no apparent reason - changing cables made no difference. Easy to carry.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not for professional results, 20 Jan. 2014
Good general purpose lens for travelling, but don't rely on it for critical quality and sharpness. It saves carrying several lenses around, but did get fogged up occasionally in wet, tropical conditions

Griffin Survivor Plus Catalyst Waterproof Case for iPhone 5
Griffin Survivor Plus Catalyst Waterproof Case for iPhone 5

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me., 20 Jan. 2014
When I received this I followed the instructions and tested it in the sink - no bubbles. So I used it when I went on holiday to Borneo where the rainforest lived up to its name. My iPhone was in this case in my pocket when I was caught in a tropical downpour and got soaked through. When I looked at my phone I could see water inside the case, so I was glad I didn't take it swimming as is claimed possible or this case. The phone survived the ordeal, which probably says more for the phone than the case. On other occasions there was water inside the case even though I made sure to keep the case dry from then onwards. I won't rule out doing something wrong - but I can't work out what.

Nikon FT-1 Mount Adapter
Nikon FT-1 Mount Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest way to turn a Nikon lenses into a monster telephoto! with no reduction in aperture, 20 Jan. 2014
Does exactly what it says on the tin. I was concerned about putting a heavy 'F' mount lens on the tiny Nikon 1AW1 camera, but my fears where unfounded.

Nikon 1 AW1 Interchangeable Lens Camera with 11-27.5mm Lens Kit - Black
Nikon 1 AW1 Interchangeable Lens Camera with 11-27.5mm Lens Kit - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars A good all rounder, 20 Jan. 2014
I bought this camera to take on a trip to Borneo. On the whole I am very pleased with it, especially when used with the adaptor for Nikon F mount lenses. I used it in a number of extreme situations, including fast flowing rivers, and it lived up to its claim of being water proof. The only problem was that in some situations both the lens and the viewing screen became foggy with condensation, making the resulting shots/video almost unusable. I did make sure that the 'O' ring was kept greased, and putting camera and lens in a container of dry rice did mitigate the problem, but not cure it completely. It could be that under those conditions it is best not to swap the waterproof lens for a standard 'F' mount lens, but the ability to do that was one of the reasons for buying this camera. If anyone from Nikon reads this I would be grateful for advice. This is the only reason for the 3-star rating.

When not fogged, the camera produced great results, and is easy to use although it is too easy to press the video button instead of the photo button - this would have given it a 4-star rating. For its chip-size it was remarkably good in low light, although within obvious limits.