Profile for Warwick > Reviews

Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Mia Wasikowska
Price: 4.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Film of Jane Eyre, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jane Eyre [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This is an excellent film. Visually stunning and with realistic lighting. ( candles and fires) Yet there have been many criticisms from other reviewers as to the character interpretations. e.g. " nothing like how I imagine Rochester or Jane" But surely this is the point; a film and a book are two entirely different genre. When you read a book your imagination takes over and you impress your own images on the characters. That is why novels are so great. With a film it is the directors'and the actors interpretations. Of course, if you have only seen the film do read the novel and involve and envelope yourself.Obviously a film is limited in time and to be fair some of the cuts would have been better left in., but as a film it is beautifully made.

The Jolson Story/Jolson Sings Again [DVD] [1946/1949 ] [2003]
The Jolson Story/Jolson Sings Again [DVD] [1946/1949 ] [2003]
Dvd ~ Larry Parks
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS entertainment!!, 10 Nov 2011
I first saw these two films as a youngster in the Fifties with my mother. No TV in our house then. One week I saw "The Jolson Story" and the following week " Jolson Sings again". I thought nothing strange in this, although I now know that the films were made three years apart. I remember enjoying them at a very young age and of course Jolson had regained his popularity by then as well. Over the years I have caught snatches of the films on TV. But this year I bought the DVD. They are still fantastic. OK the films have had the full Hollywood Biographical treatment , but as another reviewer mentions, " you can read between the lines." Even now to me he is still the Greatest entertainer ever,someone who gave his all to the audience.
I have watched the films several times and they bring back so many memories, call me very sentimental but the songs move me everytime. " Sonny boy" is a real tear -jerker. The "Blacking up " was not something I really thought about at the time, but in the film this comes in to being when, Jolson takes the place of a " minstrel playing artist" who is too drunk to go on stage, ( so it was a disguise for him in that instance. ( we had yet to have the " Black and White Minstrel Show" on the BBC.) It is a very insignificant part of the film, and the scene shows his first time as a solo act.* Larry Parks is brilliant, obviously actually singing his heart out, although it is Jolson''s voice we hear. Parks carreer faltered after he was called before the infamous House committee of Un-American Activities headed by Senator Joseph Macarthy. Like many other actors his career was blighted after this.
These films are truly professional and also boast on the cover " contains no sex, violence or bad language". Sit back and be entertained.

*Read Wikipedia for agood synopsis on Jolsen and see how he was an influence on so many top artists, now and then.

The Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles
The Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles
by Rosemary Sutcliff
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read., 7 Jun 2011
I must have read this book when I was about 12 years old. Reading the "Eagle of the Ninth." now I thought how adult it was. Do not be put off by the fact that it was written for children. Rosemary Sutcliff treated her readers as mature youngsters. There is plenty of violence, because the times are violent and the novels move at a pace and continuous interest.

Now that the Film "The Eagle" has been produced I will buy this even though it is not true to the book. But the book is special after all.

No Way Home: A Dancer's Journey from the Streets of Havana to the Stages of the World
by Carlos Acosta

5.0 out of 5 stars A candid and rivetting story, 7 Jun 2011
This was a great story, warts and all . An inspiring auto-biography that proves that you can reach the top no matter what your background. Considering Carlos kicked against the the routine and path that his father chose for him it is even more wonderful what he has eventually achieved. On the back of this I bought three DVD's of his ballet work. That is a first for me and they were all terrific in their way. The last paragraph will get you a lump in your throat though!

The Classic Arrangements of Paul Weston
The Classic Arrangements of Paul Weston
Price: 20.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable arrangements, 7 Jun 2011
I bought this for my father after having seen the John Wilson orchestra concert at the proms. We both enjoy this CD very much, no singing beautiful arrangements, stunning orchestra.

Jeff Wayne's The War of The Worlds 30th Anniversary Edition [DVD]
Jeff Wayne's The War of The Worlds 30th Anniversary Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeff Wayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Music and spectacle, 7 Jun 2011
I have always wondered why no film has ever been made true to the HG Wells original story. Why have the two films that I know of been based in the USA, when the story is set in Victorian England, where cannon are used against the Martians.

Thank goodness that Jeff Wayne's Epic is set in the right time. The Music was spectacular and so were the visual effects, but much of the solo singing was lost. A reprise by JUSTIN HAYWARD, was completely lost or his voice mike was not operating. However this is still a wonderful piece of work especially for a live concert. Very enjoyable. It was also great to re-read the book after so many years too.