Profile for Jacqueline > Reviews

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
by Jung Chang

5.0 out of 5 stars and only 100 pages in...., 14 Sept. 2006
normally reviews are written when a book is finished.. we make a judgement depending on the outcome and our feelings as the story closes.

In this review i wish to invite people who have not read this book to enjoy the same feelings as I AM feeling. I started it yesterday, and despite having very little time to read, I found myself rejecting the "must does", in favour of a quite moment on the sofa with these women who put me to shame.

In this book, or so far at any rate, we see women with a strength that western comfortable culture only allows women to imagine. It is simply written, but draws the reader into the events... and permits us to "see" what thousands of women and men lived during thelast century in china.

This book was recommended to me by various people who said that it was one of those books that we can be proud to have on our books shelves. I can only say that as I type this, I know that i am wasting precious reading time, because 'the women' are waiting for me... go and buy it... you will NOT be disappointed

My Best Friend's Girl
My Best Friend's Girl
by Dorothy Koomson

5.0 out of 5 stars unexpectedly good, 16 July 2006
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
this really isn't the type of book I normally go for, but thought it looked good for beach reading so went ahead and ordered it... I starting flicking through the first chapter on the day it arrived...

having children of my own gave me the possibility to identify with many of the confused emotions and difficulites that the characters come up against. It is sad, funny, and has a basic feeling of truth that runs through every page.

I really enjoyed it, and it never got anywhere near the beach as it was finished the day after it arrived on my doorstep.

March: A Love Story in a Time of War
March: A Love Story in a Time of War
by Geraldine Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 16 July 2006
this is a beautifully written book. It falls within the genre of a "classic", and brought me back to all the wonderful books that I read when studying literature..

Of course the "self rightuousness" is paramount... but isn't that exactly the point which the book is trying to make... it reveals the difference between those who "talk" about abolition as an ideal, and those who actually live it...

I was drawn into this book from the very first page, and would recommend that anyone who wants to "feel" the elements of the past should not hesitate to buy it.