Profile for dlp > Reviews

The Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime
by Ian Whybrow
Edition: Flexibound

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment for three reasons, 12 Jan. 2009
This is not a bad book. There is lots going on on each page, though this is also a weakness: its a bit chaotic. I do like the book - and so does my one and a half year old - but as a parent I do not "get into" reading this book in the way I do with, say, the Poppy Cat series. I see three reasons that people might find this disappointing:

1. Product description. This is not a pop-up, as described. Pop-ups spring out from the pages when you open them (see Poppy Cat's Dream - excellent and creative in this sense). This is a lift-the-flap book with an assortment of flaps to lift up (a snake under a bush, a wombat in behind the shower curtain etc). Many of them are quirky for the sake of being quirky and don't really add anything to the "story" - in fact, there isn't really a story, just lots of random scenes strung together by the fact that a bear is on his way to bed.

2. Language and grammar. The language and grammar is quite poor and just wrong in places. "Mices eating ices" might sound creative and might rhyme but a one year old has enough quirks of language - endearing as they are - without encouraging such poor language use. Other bits are nonsensical:

"Now you're busy in the bathroom
Blowing bubbles with the soap.
Is anybody hiding?
(You can tell me that I hope)."

The last line just doesn't make any sense. What are we supposed to be hoping for? "Hope" just rhymes with "soap" but nothing more. On this page a bison - one of many totally random characters - pops up out of a basin. Clever use of words? Some might think so. I think its just plain silly.

3. Poor characterisation. There is no properly identified central character to relate to, though there is a bear that is on its way to bed. Whilst there might be lots of stuff going on, and lots of tabs for children to pull to make things jump out, there is little in the book beyond that. Its all random with no sense of any character to any of the animals in the book. They don't do anything or say anything; they don't seem to feel or think anything whatsoever. They are just like cardboard cut-outs.

Sorry if that seems hard. I do like the book, actually. But with all these 5 star reviews, it is about time someone was honest about its shortcomings.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2013 2:48 AM GMT

Poppy Cat's Dream
Poppy Cat's Dream
by Lara Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favourite, 12 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Poppy Cat's Dream (Hardcover)
My 14 month old insists on having me read him this book every night before he goes to sleep (as well as at other times during the day). The illustrations are colourful, the pop ups imaginative, the story simple and sweet, and the ending perfect for getting him into bed to sleep. I will buy more Poppy Cat books though it looks like this is the only pop up with so many pages. I bought this for a friend since its not my judgement that matters but my son's!