Profile for Patrick Kavanagh > Reviews

Content by Patrick Kavanagh

Patrick Kavanagh "Patrick A Kavanagh "good music" (Liverpool, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Privateersman (A Poor Man at the Gate Series, Book 1)
The Privateersman (A Poor Man at the Gate Series, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Oct. 2014
An excellent currency converter that is easy to use providing good clear results.

Simple Currency Converter
Simple Currency Converter

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Simple Currency Converter (App)
A basic and easy to use currency converter.

Bronx Tale / O.S.T.
Bronx Tale / O.S.T.
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Days Are Here Again!, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Bronx Tale / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
Having watched the movie, I was enthralled to find songs that had long been in my memory and were also some of my great favorites. However, I'm a child of the 50's who grew up with the last vestiges of "Big Band," the advent of "Rock'n'Roll" and the explosion of "Pop Music" in the 60's & 70's. many of the tracks on the CD are from that Era and have the power to delight old and young alike. The musical quality, combined with the talent of the performers, their abilty to play their own instruments and the beautifully simplistic, yet clever, melodies, combine to please and entertain music lovers around the world. I would have bought this CD just for 3 of its 22 tracks, i.e., The Cleftones "Little Girl Of Mine," Aaron Neville "Tell It Like It Is" and The Flamingos & The Complexions "I Only Have Eyes For You" but, was thrilled when I played it and listened to the many other great classic tracks on this Sound Track Album. I'd certainly recommend this album to all music lovers!

Celsus CSCRM03 Replacement Aerial Mast
Celsus CSCRM03 Replacement Aerial Mast
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement Car Radio Aerial, 17 Jun. 2013
I wanted to change the car-radio aerial on my ford Focus but, soon realised buying from the Ford Dealership was not going to be inexpensive. I'm pleased to say that my online purchse was considerably less expensive, delivery was prompt and fitting was relatively easy. All in all, a happy conclusion.

Car Radio Release Keys
Car Radio Release Keys
Offered by MotorGuard

5.0 out of 5 stars In-car radio tools, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Car Radio Release Keys
My ford focust in-car radio/CD player had a problem, so I replaced it with another. My problem was getting the radio out the dash - thank god for the internet! A swift purchase of these release keys enabled me to efortlessly complete the change over quickly and with very little cost.

Duracell DL2032 - 3V Coin Cell (1 Pack)
Duracell DL2032 - 3V Coin Cell (1 Pack)
Offered by R & S Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product & excellent cost, 17 Jun. 2013
I bought these batteries to replace the one in my car remote control. The cost of the five batteries was still less than that of one battery from a supermarket.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People [DVD]
Darby O'Gill and the Little People [DVD]
Dvd ~ Albert Sharpe

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted Irish tale with plenty of humour., 12 May 2013
As with all Walt Disney productions, this film does not fail to live up to his reputation for first class family entertaiment. Being the son of an Irishman, having travelled Ireland extensively and knowing the Irish people and their ways, Albert Sharpe's portayable of Darby O'Gill was excellent and was fully complimented by Jimmy O'Dea who, himself, made the film come to life. The Irish Idioms were true to life and brought reality to this tale of Fairies, Magic, Banshee's and "The Little People." My only criticism would be the broad Scottish accent of Seán Connery and the unmistakable American accent of Kieron Moore. Many of the actors in this film were native Irish and, as with his appearance as Feeny in "The Quiet Man," Jack MacGowran, who played Phádraig Oge (King Brian's adjutant) in this tale, did not fail to please with his superb characterisation of the divilish Irish Leprachaun. The author of the original story "Darby O'Gill and the Good People" (ISBN 0-9666701-0-8 Published U.S.A. 1903) Herminie Templeton (Ní McGibney) was born in Aldershot, Hampshire, England 1861 and died in Chicago 1933. She married firstly John Templeton and secondly Marcus Kavanagh. Herminie Templeton Kavanagh travelled to Ireland to research material for her book and no doubt studied the Irish and their ways, For me, the film captures the essence of the Irish people with their playful nature, innocent and honest ways and, above all, their love of the family. If you want to watch a film full of fun, mischief and good humour, then I would strongly recommend "Darby O'Gill and The Little People."

The Battle of Aubers Ridge (Battleground Europe)
The Battle of Aubers Ridge (Battleground Europe)
by Edward Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars WW1 Forgotten Battle, 6 Nov. 2012
After a long search for information on the WW1 Battle at Aubers Ridge, I was so please to find this work. My great uncle, who was a Royal Munster Fusilier, was lost at Aubers Ridge and remains, as with thousands of others, in an un-marked resting place on this battlefield. Until I found this work by Edward Hancock, I had great difficulty obtaining information regarding Aubers Ridge and the battle that ensued that fateful day of May 9th,1915. If you, like I, had relatives who were involved in this action or, just want an informative and concise account of this WW1 Battle then, I recommend this work. The book is well laid out with clear and well printed photographs, illustrations and maps. It is easy to read with concise information and, as with all good works, it contains excellent Appendix, Bibliography and indexes. If you want to learn more of the tradgedy that took place at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915 then, I strongly recommend this book.

The Very Best Of Malcolm Vaughan
The Very Best Of Malcolm Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice to listen to, 6 Nov. 2012
Perhaps it's a generation thing but, I never tire of listening to singers who can hold a note, sing with pure tones in their voice and sing with such pleasing melody! Malcolm Vaughan, to my mind, is all of this and so much more. His rendition of St. Therese of the Roses, Mama, My Special Angel and More Than Ever, never cease to please and enthrall music lovers the world over. If you like good music and someone who can sing, then you will not be disapointed with this CD.

Deanna Durbin: Something in the Wind [DVD]
Deanna Durbin: Something in the Wind [DVD]
Dvd ~ Deanna Durbin
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars No gratuitous violence, sex or foul language - just the beauty, charisma, talent and Innocence of a bygone age!, 28 Sept. 2011
I'm old enough to recognise beauty, talent, charisma and innocence when I see it but, not old enough to have been around when this motion picture was first released. Had I been, then I would gladly have paid my sixpence (2.5 pence to the younger audience)to watch this delightful and enjoyable film of song and talent. It was only through distant memories passed down to me by my parents that I, came to know about and, appreciate the beautiful and multi-talented Deanna Durbin or, Edna Mae Durbin to be precise.
When I purchased this DVD, my choice was based solely on Deanna Durbin's beautiful operatic voice and therefore, I did not know what to expect of her acting ability or of the storyline in the film - I wasn't to be disappointed! The story has all the elements required to make this film entertaining - love, adversity, injustice, triumph, dancing, singing and a romantic twist at the end of the tale.
The acting skills of Deanna Durbin, combined with the purity of her voice (both when speaking and singing) make for an enthralling film. She is ably assisted with the fine acting skills of Donald O'Connor, John Dall, Charles Winninger and many more of the accomplished actors, singers and dancers that encapsulate this 1947 film. A special mention should also be given to a very young Danny Kaye, who expresses a tom-foolery in this film that was later to be his trade mark and establish him as one of the great all time giants of acting.
Whilst closely watching Deanna Durbin in this film and noticing her mannerisms and that innocent "girl next door look" that she portrays in this film, I was reminded very much of Doris Mary Ann Kapplehoff (Doris Day) whom in her own films exhibits similar mannerisms and acting traits and I,ve been left wondering whether or not her (Doris Day's) method of acting was an emulation of Deanna Durbin's?
The film sets and costumes are very lavish in their production and express a sense of dignity and respect that is all too often missing in modern times. The Black & White film medium also has the effect of focusing your attention on the detail of the sets, whilst also exposing the strengths and weaknesses of the actors and actresses in a more demanding way than colour. B&W also lends itself well for setting the different moods of the story, especially the more dramatic scenes and also gives a purity and freshness to the skin tones of those appearing in such films.

This is just one of 26 films that Deanna Durbin appeared in, besides the many songs she recorded in her own right as a singer of the finest operatic quality. If you've never heard or seen Deanna Durbin, then her magic and the purity of her voice await you.

I strongly recommend this film and Deanna Durbin's music to all those who love beauty, charisma and talent - you won't be disappointed!

Page: 1 | 2