Profile for Mr. S W. vanOs > Reviews

Content by Mr. S W. vanOs

Mr. S W. vanOs "Revd. Stephan van Os" (Winchester, Hampshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Clint Eastwood Westerns Collection (3 Discs) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Clint Eastwood Westerns Collection (3 Discs) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

5.0 out of 5 stars Three great Clint Eastwood movies in one box, 24 Sept. 2015
Three great Clint Eastwood movies in one box. set. The BluRay worked well and I will certainly be giving them all a repeat viewing.

Loake Shoe Polish (Tan)
Loake Shoe Polish (Tan)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good shoe polish designed to work with my Loake brogues, 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Loake Shoe Polish (Shoes)
A good shoe polish designed to work with my Loake brogues. It works well and to quote: it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Loake 202DS, Men's Brogue Shoes - Brown, 42 EU
Loake 202DS, Men's Brogue Shoes - Brown, 42 EU
Offered by Blunts Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine pair of shoes, 21 Jun. 2015
A fine pair of shoes. The more I wear them the more comfortable they become. Just what I would expect from the Loake brand.

Mens Classic Sand Suede Desert Boots UK 8
Mens Classic Sand Suede Desert Boots UK 8
Offered by GMDC Global Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars One Slight Problem, 30 April 2014
I am a standard Size 8G shoe size according to Clarks and by this criteria my feet were too large for a size 8 in this particular make and model. So sadly I had to return them. However, the colour was true to what was pictured on Amazon and in every other respect they were a good shoe for the price paid.

Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy 1944
Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy 1944

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Compelling, 15 Mar. 2014
This book is classic Hastings. Very well written with an ability to dig down into the details of the campaign looking at both sides of the conflict but without losing a sense of the big picture. I'm about half way through it and need to make sure that I allow time to do other things in my life right now! Yes, it is that good.

What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Summary, 14 Sept. 2013
This is a fresh new approach to the doctrines of grace, otherwise known as the Five Points of Calvinism. The approach is a combination of Biblical and pastoral and I thoroughly appreciated the emphasis. A very worthwhile piece of work.

Fountain of Life CD
Fountain of Life CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Fountain of Life CD (Audio CD)
There are many things that could be said about this Margaret Rizza CD and all of them would be superlatives. I have a number of her CDs which have been released over the years but I always come back to this one because it is my favourite. At a particularly difficult time in my ministry when I was overworked and under strain, when prayer was difficult the tone and content of this CD provided me with the stability I needed and helped to pull me through. For this I will be eternally grateful. Even today I find that it is an excellent tool to bring one into a prayerful and worshipping spirit. All of the tracks are exquisite but we all have our favourites and mine are the Magnificat, Kyrie Elieson and the deeply moving arrangement of Psalm 131. The only remaining thing I can say is "taste and see". You won't be disappointed.

Moleskine Soft Extra Large Plain Notebook
Moleskine Soft Extra Large Plain Notebook

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 15 Mar. 2013
I was looking for a large plain notebook which I could use as a journal. Having seen previous reviews for this product I decided to take a chance on the reputation that Moleskine has. In brief, this notebook will serve the purpose but is nothing to write home about. The paper is not particularly high quality which was a surprise for an item like this. I prefer to write with a fountain pen and sadly the ink does bleed through the page so this is a big disappointment. I am decidedly underwhelmed and when I have filled this book will probably look in a different direction for its replacement.

Lazarus Rising
Lazarus Rising

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Lazarus Rising (Kindle Edition)
I've always been fascinated by political biographies and have an entire bookshelf dedicated to the genre. Autobiographies can be particularly difficult because they run the risk of being either self-justifying or exercises in name dropping. But that cannot be said of this autobiography. Even before encountering this book I was possessed of a high opinion of John Howard which sky rocketed even further as I made my way through the text. It has been a long time since I last read a political autobiography where the author is possessed of a clear vision of what he/she was wanting to achieve in office but also demonstrates a depth of humility concerning his own character and his relationships with others. This makes John Howard a profoundly attractive character and the sheer quality of the writing held my interest from the first page all the way to the last.

Though Australia is a long way from the UK (where this review is being written) our politicians, especially so-called Conservative politicians would learn a great deal about what a principled conservative position looks like. Australia is in a vastly better position in the world today because of the policies put in place by the Howard Government. I agree with a previous reviewer that it is probably still too soon for a fully dispassionate account of the Howard years to be written, but I suspect history will be very kind to him and he will go down as one of Australia's greatest Prime Ministers and a flag bearer for all that is good about fiscal and social conservatism.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Concurring, 8 Feb. 2012
My previous self-assembled wine rack fell apart after some 15 years of service and numerous attempts to put it back ogether again. I was definitely in the hmarket for a wine rack and I wanted something solid and ready made. This particular wine rack fulfils that role admirably. The delivery was prompt and came exactly as described. Within a short time of arriving it was filled with wine bottles and sitting in the place under the stairs which I had marked out for it. It will hold all standard 750ml wine bottles easily. However, I have had to put my champagne bottles along the top rack because the normal spaces were just too tight. I guess a propos a previous reviewer that it probably depends on what sort of sparkling wine bottles you purchase. However, I am very pleased with this purchase and looks like it will give faithful service over many years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4