Profile for Sussex Mum > Reviews

And Sons
And Sons
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Upper West Side Story, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: And Sons (Kindle Edition)
This is a great combination of coming-of-age and going-out-in-a-box novel. It's about writing, success, failure, growing up and the long process of dying in that privileged Park Avenue world where making a living isn't really a prime concern. It's a 'masculine' novel, and I would say kind of an old fashioned read, reminding me of Philip Roth's style. That's not to say I didn't enjoy being immersed in the world the that Gilbert creates very masterfully. It's an interesting exploration of how the friendships we form or think we form in youth can influence who we are for the rest of our lives.

A Greedy Man in a Hungry World: How (almost) everything you thought you knew about food is wrong
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Greedy funny man, 3 July 2013
I thought this was a unique way of looking at the looming food crisis on our planet, as it was funny and informative, which is not a combination that I would have expected from the subject matter. I bought this book because I love reading Jay Rayner's restaurant reviews, but I had no idea that he is a 'proper' journalist as well. I like the way he presents both sides of the big issues from localism to GM crops, and he made me question my suppositions. I would definitely recommend this to anybody in the First World who really wants to get their head around how we're going to manage to feed ourselves and the rest of the world in the near future.

Davina - High Energy Five [DVD]
Davina - High Energy Five [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars beats expectations, 4 Mar 2009
I bought this not expecting much, as I've tried other exercise DVDs in the past, and they were either too easy or too boring. This one is really good, and even just after 3 weeks, about 3 times a week, I feel so much more toned. I still can't keep up with Davina all the way through, but I'm getting there. It never gets boring, and despite Davina's annoying hair colour commercials, I don't find her at all annoying this context. She's very encouraging and sweats along with me.

Beginners Cookbook (Usborne Cookbooks)
Beginners Cookbook (Usborne Cookbooks)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars great for kids who want to do it themselves, 26 Aug 2008
We have several kids' cookbooks, but this one is by far the best for my 10-year-old daughter. She finds it easy to use and has a lot of fun cooking with her friends without me having to interpret the directions. There are a lot of good diagrams showing how to do things, and you only need the minimum of kitchen equipment for these recipes.