Profile for MAL > Reviews

Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Bought the DVD for Mum and I have the Blu-Ray which is suberb.

If anything I enjoyed it even more watching at home than in the cinema. Something about Tom Hooper's love of close-ups that works even better on my TV.

It's a wonderful film that adds a new dimension to a show I have loved and seen many times over the years. Some superb performances and the whole thing just delivers. I think the live singing adds so much.

I haven't bought the soundtrack because if I'm just listening I prefer the powerful voices in the show recordings (especially the 25th tour with John Owen-Jones and Earl Carpenter). Some have criticized voices like Russell Crowe - and yes his singing isn't the usual Javert standard, but his performance more than makes up for it.

I was hoping for more extras and some deleted scenes. It's obvious from the film that cuts were made to scenes like Beggar at the Feast and others for timing - I understand that but deleted scenes or a director's cut would have been a nice extra to have.

Knowing Cameron, that will come in a separate release next year that we have to pay more for. He's not daft is he :)

Michael Ball - Heroes Live [DVD] [2011]
Michael Ball - Heroes Live [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Michael Ball
Offered by Champion Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as Always, 3 Jun 2013
Another great show from Michael, although I prefer his 25th Anniversary tour from the Albert Hall - just because of the setlist and his ensemble of backing singers on that one.

This is still great, and as always he's a total pro with wonderful production values. No such thing as a bad Michael Ball show.

Queen - Days of Our Lives [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Queen - Days of Our Lives [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any fan, 3 Jun 2013
I'd seen the documentaries on TV, but the huge amount of extras on the Blu-Ray make this a must have.

Some stuff I'd seen before on various releases over the years, but mostly new material.

Just a real shame they couldn't even tempt John Deacon out of hiding for an interview. It was great to see footage of him chatting in the early days but Queen was never just Brian & Roger, anything they've done since Freddie's death just isn't Queen for me and John's absence is a huge part of that.

On the subject of Freddie, the way his death is handled in the documentary is so moving and the story of those final recordings is so sad.

Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Royal Albert Hall Celebration [DVD] [1998]
Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Royal Albert Hall Celebration [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Tina Arena

5.0 out of 5 stars Mum's Favourite, 5 May 2011
My Mum has had this on VHS for years and was sad she could no longer watch it, so I bought her the DVD and when it arrived watched it with her!

A great collection of some of ALW's finest moments performed by an awesome cast.

Stand out moments would have to be Glenn Close as Norma Desmond bringing the house down with her numbers from Sunset Boulevard. Similarly Micheal Ball's Gethsemane from Superstar is just breathtaking. Also a bittersweet moment watching Stephen Gately from Boyzone so obviously thrilled to be on stage singing No Matter What. And no ALW tribute would be complete without Elaine Paige and Sarah Brightman.

A couple of performances that did nothing for me but that's pure personal taste. Good quality sound and video, all said a great purchase at an excellent price. Mum was thrilled :)

Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Matt Lucas

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame about Marius, 30 Nov 2010
Watched the Blu Ray all the way through last night. I've been looking forward to this as I couldn't make the concerts and all our local cinemas were sold out.

Sound and picture quality are excellent, nicely directed so you get to see everything that's going on. With so many old Les Mis faces making cameo appearances it's good to try and spot them all.

Alfie Boe is amazing as Jean Valjean (and I've seen a few), his Bring Him Home stops the show. Norm Lewis is very good as Javert although not my favourite. Lea Salonga is excellent as always and Ramin Karimloo has a superb voice. I really enjoyed Matt Lucas as Thenardier and Samantha Barks as Eponine too.

Which brings me to Nick Jonas. I'd read many reviews of the concerts so wasn't expecting too much, but I have to say what on EARTH was Cameron Mackintosh thinking? A totally wooden performance with one expression throughout and the weakest voice. He was totally outsung by even the most minor characters. You only have to listen to the ovation Michael Ball gets when he opens his mouth in the One More Day encore - almost like the audience were saying "that's how you sing it". Considering how many former Mariuses (is that a word?) were on the stage. Jon Lee, Anthony Hansen, Gareth Gates - all of whom I've seen - they must have been as perplexed as the audience at this casting. I can only presume it's to try and shift DVDs in the States?

Anyway, that aside it's an amazing concert with some outstanding performances and the sound of full orchestra and chorus makes for some spine-tingling moments. The 4 Valjeans encore and the original cast One More Day are truly special.

Would have been 5 stars....blame the Jonas brother.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2010 12:33 AM GMT