Profile for Greg Benedict > Reviews

Content by Greg Benedict

Greg Benedict (Reading)

Shadow of the Raven (The Reckoning Book 1)
Shadow of the Raven (The Reckoning Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different fantasy world, 9 Jan. 2014
As an avid bibliophage, I quite easily get through a novel per week, so I'm often looking through the kindle e-published only resources in the hopes of finding diamond in the rough as it were, and this title really delivers.

There are numerous titles available on the kindle store that range from clichéd and formulaic to engrossing and entertaining, and you know when you have the latter when you find yourself unable to put the reader/phone/tablet down until you fall asleep on it at 3am on a work night, as is the case here.

The characters are flawed enough to be believable, the politics corrupt enough to be familiar, and the magic unique enough to make you wonder. All of which comes together to attach you to their world enough that you have to know where, why and what next... You really will find yourself saying 'what the..?' or 'NOOOOOO, that's not fair' in equal measures with 'Oooooh' and grinning manically.

Many fantasy and sci-fi novels, while entertaining, manage to fall into the same old ruts, so the reader is never really surprised by a particular plot device or 'revelation'. So I was often pleasantly surprised by the fact that I was surprised at each twist and turn.

Nowhere else will you end up feeling a deep and abiding sympathy for a statue.

Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black
Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 5 July 2013
I got this when it was £18 new, it since went up to £32 then down to £25. It works perfectly with an iPhone, including activating SIRI. While bluetooth range is often bad, this seems amazing, I use it in the gym, while leaving my phone in my flat (10 metres plus wall) and have had it working over 20 metres through a wall as well.

The best part is that the headphones are separate, so when the cables get damaged (as headphones often do) you can replace them, ideally with some that come with a short cord + extension, like the Sony MDR-EX71.

Battery life is amazing, I use mine daily and it lasts nearly a week

Pioneer CD Tuner with iPod/iPhone Control, Bluetooth, 2x Rear USB, SD Card Slot and 3 Hi-Volt RCA Pre-outs

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 5 July 2013
Once I had it installed (at a mechanic, due to not having necessary tools for removing my old one). It sounded great, though having had 3 pioneer head units before I wasn't expecting anything less.

The reason for the upgrade from a 7600 was the ease and number of connections. I can now connect my iPhone via USB or bluetooth and control the stereo from the phone or vice versa. I can also connect my android tablet via bluetooth, USB or headphone socket into the 3.5mm aux port on the front if I want to watch movies in the car while waiting (parked up of course).

Oh and the SD card which means I don't have to burn/waste a new cd to play mp3s/aacs when I want a change, and yet STILL has a CD player for when I go retro and grab an old CD.

Setup and menus are a doddle, no different from any other interface really.

The only real downside, for me anyway, is that, as with previous pioneer units, track fast forward requires you to hold down a button, I would have much preferred some option whereby the rotary wheel allows you to select a position, or a toggle button that fast forwards until you press play or similar. If you have a long continuous mix of music, holding down a button can be difficult/inadvisable/dangerous while driving.

Philips LivingColors Aura Colour Changing Mood Light - Black (Integrated 1 x 8 Watts LED Bulb, Remote Control)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ambient or mood lighting, 5 July 2013
I got two of these for some ambient muted lighting for evening television watching, and they do the job admirably. Much better than typical uplighters. Shame the home-automation protocol used doesn't have an accessible API (unlike the wireless bulbs by Philips) though

What Price Honour: Merkiaari Wars Book 2
What Price Honour: Merkiaari Wars Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 5 July 2013
As per review for the first book, terrible grammar, great story! Oh, amazon requires 9 more words for a review...

Operation Oracle: Merkiaari Wars Book 3
Operation Oracle: Merkiaari Wars Book 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 July 2013

Hard Duty: Merkiaari Wars Book 1
Hard Duty: Merkiaari Wars Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep reading, 5 July 2013
Firstly, let me say that after reading book one, I went straight back to the kindle store and bought books two and three.

I'm an avid reader of Iain (m) Banks (RIP), Alastair Reynolds and the like, and I devour enthralling space opera at a rate that the current cumulative authors' works can't seem to keep up with.

The Merkiaari series of books don't add much that hasn't been seen in other sci-fi books, and indeed has some clichéd aspects to it, which may put some people off. However, by far the worst bit of these books is the grammar. Typically homonyms; past and passed seem to be used interchangeably, There are other examples, but essentially, in numerous places, it comes across as though speech recognition has been used, and spellings checked, but the wrong word has been chosen (e.g. scene and seen).

Now that that is out of the way, and the reason for the 5 stars, the story itself is fantastically engaging, it's very easy to feel an attachment with various characters, to the point where you'll sit-up in bed far past a decent hour, just to make sure your favourite Shan is still alive into the next chapter.

There's so much scope here, I really hope this series continues for many more books... With a proof reader :)