Profile for TAJG > Reviews

Aping Mankind: Neuromania, Darwinitis and the Misrepresentation of Humanity
Aping Mankind: Neuromania, Darwinitis and the Misrepresentation of Humanity
by Raymond Tallis
Price: 24.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I see it has already been said, but here is humanitis., 9 Feb 2012
I have not read Straw Dogs, nor am I really inclined to accept Tallis's judgement of it as fair, but it seems to me that this book is to Humanitis as Straw Dogs is to Neuromania.

If you decide to read this book you must be prepared to endure one of the more irritating styles I have ever encountered. Tallis wastes much time sneering at the idiocy of all the intellectuals caught up in the whirlwind of Neuromania. It is painful. When he does get around to academic argument, it can be rather good. Having said that, some of his philosophical arguments seem rather flawed to me but perhaps I was missing something as I was not much inclined to re-read any more of his writing than I felt I had to. I also wish he would leave out some of his clunkier metaphors; it's almost as if he is trying to persuade the reader of Humanitis purely by virtue of how flowery he, a scientist of all people, can make his language.

I think I might try and put this book to bed now, 50 pages to go. It is safe to say I have not enjoyed the book itself, but I have enjoyed the food for thought it has provided me with, especially seeing as I was probably a Neuromaniac, by RT's definition, when I began the book. I think this is probably an important book purely by virtue of its creation; perhaps it has paved the way for a better one of its kind.