Profile for Longshot > Reviews

Tenn Mens Winter Weight II Cycling Race Jersey - Long Sleeve - Black/Red 2XL
Offered by Tenn Outdoors
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 24 Feb 2014
Yet another quality product from Tenn Outdoors. This is a warm and comfortable jacket. I've been wearing it every week since Xmas and, whilst it's not been tested in minus temperatures, it's proved to be just what I needed. It's warm enough to wear with just a base layer beneath but I've not felt myself getting too hot either.

It has two decent rear pockets and a zipped, smaller pocket. The grippers seem particularly good compared to other jerseys I've had.

Highly recommended.

Rayzor Professional Lightweight GunMetal Grey UV400 Sports Wrap Cycling Sunglasses, With a 1 Piece Blue Iridium Revo Anti-Glare Lens.
Offered by Sports Eyewear
Price: 49.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value but longevity a problem?, 24 Feb 2014
I bought these sunglasses about 9 months ago and they're my second pair of Rayzors. I like the style of them and they fit me comfortably with no issues at all. I've worn them regularly for cycling over the time that I've owned and, until this week, had nothing to complain about at all.

However, on getting them out of the case today, one of the arms fell off. On inspection, it appears that the hinge has rusted and it isn't repairable. I have no idea if this is the quality of the parts or something I've put them through that may have had a similar effect on more expensive models.

In reality, given the price, I'll probably just buy another pair of these rather than something far more expensive even if I have to replace them every year as it will probably still be better value.

The Martian
The Martian

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
A great concept for a book which was well executed. The story is believable and written well - it would have been very easy to make this either too detailed or overly light hearted. The author has hit a successful middle ground.

The characters are likeable, especially the 'hero', which is a good thing!

The story flows very well and it was difficult to put the book down at any point.

Highly recommended.

A Place Of Strangers
A Place Of Strangers
by Geoffrey Seed
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the ending, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Place Of Strangers (Paperback)
'A Place of Strangers' is an interesting book in terms of its concept. I'm really not sure how to define it. The main character is an English journalist called McCall who lost his parents at an early age and was brought up a couple - Francis and Bea. Francis worked for the British Government and was formerly an RAF pilot in WWII. His then comrade at arms was McCall's real father - he died sometime after the war.

The story revolves around a voyage of discovery, or several in fact. We discover more and more about the back stories to McCall's parents, Bea and Francis's life together (and in Bea's case before they met), lost children, affairs and the Holocaust.

It's an interesting idea. I think (perhaps wrongly) that the author was trying to look at the effect of the war and some of the atrocities carried out during that time on different people - how time changes (or not) perceptions of these sensitive issues and the concept of revenge or justice. Should these crimes be remembered but not held against those who were responsible? At what point do you stop looking backwards and blaming in order to start moving forward?

Whilst observed clearly and the subject matter was discussed rationally and sensitively, I'm not sure any answers were found. The ending was something of a disappointment and felt rushed to be honest. The closing scenes of various characters just didn't add up for me.

Great North Road
Great North Road
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars "Great" is not enough, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Great North Road (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved 'Great North Road'. I simply did not want to put it down at any point during the book. I was completely engrossed by the story and characters. I have read most of PFH's other work and enjoyed it but this has been my favourite book of his to date.

The characters were all accessible and believable, even those that were less obviously the good guys. The back stories were fed in slowly, piece by piece, building up the overall picture. Right up until the very end, I was still guessing at what was going to happen (and what HAD happened that led to that point). The story was wrapped up in a coherent and fitting manner.

I won't reiterate the plot line here suffice to say the story is set in a well created and thought out near future, partly on earth and partly on other worlds. I would say to non-sci fi readers that the book is accessible and not heavy going on that front - it's part sci fi and part detective novel.

I highly recommend this book.

The Seventh Angel
The Seventh Angel
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Seventh Angel (Kindle Edition)
Another great book by Jeff Edwards.

I've been looking for a Tom Clancy replacement for many years and this guy is as close as anyone. He's not quite as heavy as Clancy which is no bad thing but he really, really knows how to write a thriller that sucks you in and keeps you glued to the page.

This story revolves around a backstory of former USSR Republic going rogue and getting their hands on nuclear weapons then holding the world to ransom - cue the US Navy!

Very, very good.

Atlantis Bermuda Triangle
Atlantis Bermuda Triangle
Price: 4.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Ripping yarn, 16 Nov 2012
Picking up where the first book ended, Atlantis Bermuda Triangle continues the story of the efforts of various individuals and organisations to stop the attempted invasion of Earth by The Shadow - an unknown alien race who have been trying to gain dominance over the planet for millennia.

Another reviewer mentioned Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler and I agree with that - I am a fan of both authors and there are aspects of their writing in these books.

It's pretty un-put-down-able and I raced through it pretty quickly which is always a good sign. I'm looking forward to starting Devil's Sea next.

A ripping yarn - well recommended.

Imhotep
Imhotep
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Step back in time, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Imhotep (Kindle Edition)
This book tells a story of 3 modern day individuals who get thrown back in time to Ancient Egypt. They get sucked up into a world of politics and Gods, at times fighting for their lives and those they grow to care for.

The book deals not only with the historical setting but with the way in which each of the modern day people deal with the differences between our own world and that of ancient Egypt. The author obviously has some points he's trying to make about our modern world and lifestyle but it's not preachy, just observational.

The basic premise of the story is obviously fantastical but, in general, it's dealt with in a very grounded fashion. The author has done plenty of research and weaves a convincing backcloth for his characters. There are a few weak moments - the language issue is dealt with a little too easily - but they don't detract from what is overall a very good read.

Three Feet of Sky: Book One
Three Feet of Sky: Book One
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Good & bad, 5 Oct 2012
This book contained some great ideas - the viros, the resurrection, etc - nice concepts and well put together. However, it contained some really bizarre ideas as well - most notably the hind reading.

I have no real idea what the point of the story was but, at the end of it, I'd have to say I enjoyed it and would have been happy to keep reading on.

Playmobil 5135 Large Pirate Ship
Playmobil 5135 Large Pirate Ship
Price: 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 3 Oct 2012
We bought this for our son's 6th birthday. It took a couple of hours to put it together - nothing too complicated but you might need glasses for the instructions!

The ship itself is pretty well made but there are plenty of bits to break, snap or pull off it so I'm not sure I'd recommend it for much younger kids.

There's a lot of extra bits - pirates, cannons, swords, guns, etc, etc which to make it fun - it's definitely been very popular.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6