Profile for Sw Hogben > Reviews

Fun On Earth
Fun On Earth
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..., 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
I had high hopes for the album after hearing Sunny Day on the radio - but after a couple of listens, it is really quite disappointing with a couple of notable exceptions. The rockier tracks, which is what he was so good at in the early days of Queen, are turgid riffs with the most inane lyrics sang with no sense of melody whatsoever. This is from the guy who wrote Radio Gaga, Kind of Magic and These are the Days of our Lives so he knows how to write a killer song but seems to have given up around 1990.
Sunny Day is the stand out track along with Small - both mid tempo ballads, which is where he seems to be most comfortable and listenable.
When all is said and done, however, only fans will buy this and will take no notice of the reviews, just like I didn't, so it renders this as just a bit futile I suppose!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 8:27 AM GMT

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars The best lens in the world, 21 Oct. 2009
I haven't a bad word to say about this lens. I shoot festivals and concerts mainly and the lens really is a dream. It's a shame I don't get to use it more often. Razor sharp every time, Fast and as quiet as a mouse.

The build quality is amazing. I am in Australia at the moment and went to the Blue Mountains to shoot; I lifted my bag from a bench and heard a massive smash. I had forgotten to do the bag up and the lens had fallen to the ground. I feared for the worst - but what can I say? Only the UV filter had been damaged - not a scratch or a dent on the lens. Simply superb, built like a tank.

Yes it's pricey, but if you shoot portraits, weddings or events that demand the best picture quality it pays for itself. I love it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2010 8:38 PM BST

Canon EF 50 mm-f/1.4 USM Lens
Canon EF 50 mm-f/1.4 USM Lens
Offered by Pro-King

5.0 out of 5 stars great for concert photography, 16 Nov. 2008
I have recently bought this lens being a recent convert to Canon, and is already one of my favourites! I specialise in music photography, which means high ISO, no flash and low light conditions.

This lens comes up trumps in all departments and for small / midsize venues, Crisp, fast and solid, this really is the only lens you will need.

Free School Milk
Free School Milk
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to make you happy!, 6 July 2007
This review is from: Free School Milk (Audio CD)
I first saw Tiny Dancers support the Spinto Band in 2006. What instantly struck me was that they looked like no other band I have seen in the last ten or so years I have been going to see and playing in bands. They look fun, they have fun - they even sound fun! And that is so damn refreshing on a music scene that is overly cluttered with whiney indie boy feel my pain bands.

The album is excellent, they have taken their influences from the sixties and seventies, digested them and regurgitated something that sounds sublime. country twinged pop with guitars.

I love them.

It was a brave move I think for Parlophone to whip them up, but it may also be TD's downfall.

We all know the majors are money making corporations. They can't afford to invest in bands that make little return, so don't in general do different. And TD's are very different. Different is difficult to market, and I really hope that this isn't the last we hear of them. I really hope that Parlophone have a long term plan for the band, because they have worked so hard, and are too good to be consigned to the trash heap so early into their career.

Support them, buy a copy for everyone you know - guaranteed they will love the album as much as I do!

Songs For Silverman
Songs For Silverman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 18 May 2007
This review is from: Songs For Silverman (Audio CD)
It's easy to see with these reviews the ones that are written by fans - glowing 5 star reviews that, once the hype of the album has died down, and the songs aren't any longer fresh are worthy only of three stars at the most - I've done it - so two and a half years after it's release, It's time to re evaluate.

In short - I still love this album. Not only is it, in my opinion the best thing Ben Folds has ever recorded, it's also probably my favourite album ever.

Although I loved Ben Folds Five, as I have grown a little older, some of the earlier stuff, the more flippant, humourous songs have started to grate on me - which is why I love SFS. It's an earnest record. Yeah, it's wry, but not in an out and out frat boy kind of way - it's (and it's been said time and time again) mature.

There are still one or two tracks that I skip - Give Judy My Notice sounds much better without a band on his internet demo's - but still, it's not a bad song, it's just I prefer the other version...

Nearly every track on this album is great, and is the album I give to people to try and convert them - and not one person hasn't liked it.

Ben Folds skill is in his ability to write refreshingly honest lyrics, to write a ballad without sounding trite, and to absolutely rock the foundations of anywhere he plays with just a piano.

If you are just getting into The Folds, start with this album, and if you alreday love The Folds, then you already know what I'm talking about.

The only album I own that I would whole heartedly give five stars.

The Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers
The Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers
by Scott Kelby

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book now!, 5 May 2007
I'll keep it short and sweet -

It's AMAZING! I'm by no means a pro, I've only just started using Elements, and within minutes of flicking through, I have already improved my photoshop skills 1000%!

In short, you NEED this book - no jargon, just straight in practical tips.

Wildflower
Wildflower
Offered by Todays Great Deal

2.0 out of 5 stars shiny but lacking, 3 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Wildflower (Audio CD)
What happened?!
Maybe its a grower - I really hope so, because on the first couple of listens, everything meshes into the same song!
The thing I LOVED about the first three albums is that they weren't over produced - they were fresh, and owed alot to the production vaalues of the likes of Neil Young, Dylan et al, the impression that there is a band in the studio doing a take, making it sound REAL.
That is what is lacking on this record, it sounds wrong. That sounds like a weird thing to write, it just feels as though every note has been pored over in the mix - the tone of the record is very, very flat and samey. Strings are fine on a few songs, but a whole album makes everything sound the same..Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of tracks I actually really like, but again, the shiny production ruins it for me.
I hate to be down on it, I love everything she has recorded up til now, but this....I don't know. Maybe I'll come back in a month and contradict myself!!

End of Love
End of Love

4.0 out of 5 stars my new favourite band!, 30 Jun. 2005
This review is from: End of Love (Audio CD)
Clem Snide is one of those bands who I've been aware of for years, but not actually listened to any of their stuff..
I saw singer Eef Barzelay support Ben Folds earlier this month, and after a perfectly executed, but totally unfunny heckle (What washing powder do you use) on account of his sparkly white suit (i know, I'm not proud) I really got into the music. He perfectly complemented Ben's style of music - that's probably the best compliment I can give describing his style.
As other reviewers have noted, they are hard to classify, with twinges of country, pop and folk mangled and compressed to produce one of the most beautiful albums this year.
Tiny European Cars is a definate highlight, and German Hip Hop is bizarre.
I love them and all their alt pop ways, and am so glad to have struck gold with a band who's play on words is clever without being too clever, funny without being comedy, and knowing without being smug.
BUY THIS ALBUM, You'll love it!

Blinking Lights And Other Revelations
Blinking Lights And Other Revelations

2.0 out of 5 stars Blinking lights and other disappointments, 15 Jun. 2005
I really hate to say it, but is E losing it?!
I generally love everything he does, but he seems intent on career suicide with this one. There are flashes of brilliance in Hey Man, but I think a whole CD's worth of filler could have been cut. Not only are many of these tracks pointless, but I recognised rehashed hooks and chord progressions and a general lack of ambition.
I'm all for artistic freedom and all that, and good luck to him, but I'm also allowed to say its crap! It's in the public domain, its fair game.
I still love Eels, and I expect E will bounce back next time, so I'm not going to hold a grudge this time. Electro Shock Blues is still the one to beat for me..