Profile for JJ > Reviews

Content by JJ

JJ (Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kandle by Ozeri II in Graphite -- Designed for the Amazon Kindle (fits latest generation Kindle and all models), and other eBook readers
Offered by Ozeri UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A bright idea, 26 Mar. 2015
Given as a present to someone who desperately needed a kindle light. He is very impressed with it.
It fits on well, the three lights give good illumination and it folds away neatly into a pouch (handy when off on holiday).
Seems sturdy but not a clumsy fit.
He was delighted to find he could even use it on a paperback book.
So I'm glad I bought this!

Persuasion
Persuasion

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed no persuasion to read this, 26 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Persuasion (Kindle Edition)
Super book. I know the story so well from many my watchings of the BBC drama starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. The book, of course is better and I am glad to have read it. Jane Austen wrote so well.

Easy Prey (Nathan Hawk Mystery)
Easy Prey (Nathan Hawk Mystery)

4.0 out of 5 stars Grown fond of Nathan, 26 Mar. 2015
I like these books. I like Nathan Hawk and his spread-throughout-the-world family and their constant emails. I like his grown up relationship with the sensible lady doctor.
He gets railroaded into investigating a crime and you just know things will end unhappily for some but he doggedly pursues it right to the end.
This is the 2nd book and I very much enjoyed the first one too.
Hawk is a good solid three dimensional character making lots of mistakes, presuming things when he shouldn't but there is always some kind soul to help him sort out his thoughts and get him back on track.
I know there is another book, and hope there are more after that.

Bond on Bond: The Ultimate Book on 50 Years of Bond Movies
Bond on Bond: The Ultimate Book on 50 Years of Bond Movies

3.0 out of 5 stars Bond on Bond for Bondies, 26 Mar. 2015
This book if for those who have a yearning to know not just about the films but about the cars in the films, the gadgets in the films, film locations, the tailoring of the star, the weapons of choice etc etc.
I don't think Roger Moore ever thinks terribly unkindly about anyone so there is not a lot of gossip about co-stars, nearly all of whom, with perhaps one exception, he got on with very well.
He liked the other Bond's, his favourite was Sean Connery but then he defined the role, and he was very supportive of Daniel Craig as the next (now incumbent) Bond.
This is for those with a real interest in the hows and the wherefores of the James Bond films and character.

The House of Hidden Mothers
The House of Hidden Mothers
by Meera Syal

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of yearning and forgiving, 26 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read Meera Syal's previous novels so I knew I would enjoy this one and I wasn't wrong (which is always comforting!)
There is a warmth to her writing and a feeling of inclusiveness so you feel you know these people already. Their wrong turnings, mistaken ideas, their disastrous choices and their yearnings for a better fuller life seem to be understood by you from the first few pages, you are part of the circle of friends, you are one of the family.
Syal's story is laced with humour, sadness and also with some horror.
If you enjoy this it is worth going back to her other two novels. If you have read the other two you definitely need to read this.

Death in a Scarlet Gown (Murray of Letho Book 1)
Death in a Scarlet Gown (Murray of Letho Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars stick with it the bodies will come....., 25 Mar. 2015
I was beginning to think that this was not a murder mystery and I had bought the wrong book when after reading over 43% of the book ne'ry a body had been stumbled on.
Charles Murray is an 18 year old student at St Andrews in the early 1800's. He is heir to the title and estate of Letho. His father does not want him to fill his head with book learning but to take his place in society and do his father proud.
Almost half the book gives us a view of Charles's life at university, his tutors, his friends and acquaintances and his younger brother who is more of a product of his social standing than his brother but is just as fearful of his father.
Of course death does come to Charles's circle, more than once and In one instance quite, quite sad.
He finds that he is going to have to look into what happened in the first death because the finger may point in a direction he does not want.
It ends up being an interesting tale and you look forward to seeing what life holds for young Charles. I'll read the next one.

Wacom Bamboo Stylus Pocket Replacement Nibs (Pack of 3) - ACK-20601
Wacom Bamboo Stylus Pocket Replacement Nibs (Pack of 3) - ACK-20601

5.0 out of 5 stars What you need for your Wacom stylus, 25 Mar. 2015
They fit fine on the bamboo stylus. These things always wear out so a pack of three spares is very handy.

The Statue of Three Lies
The Statue of Three Lies

3.0 out of 5 stars Send for The Prof, the Professor or just get Giles, 16 Mar. 2015
First the good bit, it was set in a place I know well. The story takes place sometime in the 1960's and we are taken to Lockerbie by train and it was such a pleasant surprise to remember the old cinema (the pictures) and the bridge over the railway up Lambhill and towards Bankshill. So that was a nice surprise.

Giles is a professor of history and specialises in the history of magic. He spent much of his childhood with the Ramsden family near Lockerbie. The father, Jack, who was besotted with magic and how the tricks worked built props for magicians. This inspired Giles' love of all things magical.

Fourteen years after Jack Ramsden's sudden, ruled as death by misadventure, Giles receives an urgent message asking him to please come back to Lockerbie by a member of the family who thinks there could be more to Jack's death and Giles is the man to get to the bottom of what really happened. He knows the household but wasn't there at the time of the death so perhaps he can bring fresh eyes to the situation.

The story is quite intriguing with its locked room scenario but I found the dialogue between characters could be a little stilted with people guffawing happily at retorts that just weren't funny. I also got annoyed at the many names Giles went under, he was Giles, he was Professor and he was the Prof. The last got on my nerves, 'The Prof went to pour himself a drink' .. 'The Prof headed for the stables'. No, please, make him friendly, make him accessible, call him Giles, the name the family would always have known him by.
Quite a few times the speaker in the story stopped midstream which in a book would be a line of ....... but in the Kindle edition was .? which really confused me for a while. 'More of that later' was also a device used to curtail further information. Giles, of course, has his love interest in the beautiful and spirited daughter, Laura. I don't know if it is an age thing but I am getting a little fed up of female leads being so lovely, super figure, gorgeous face, lovely long legs, eyes to melt into etc etc. as if the only women likely to engender any interest from a man is of model proportions. Heaven help women who are just averagely good looking, a little overweight and with ordinary eyes, they will just never find love.

The author's insight into magic and magicians of bygone days was interesting and the working in of some films, as stated by other reviewers, makes you want to dig them out (yes I have the Laurel and Hardy one) and to watch them again.
Just when you are thinking things are beginning to come together Giles takes himself off to Boston, but at least there we find out about the Statue of Three Lies.

The ending takes time to explain but it all comes together and wrongs are righted.

I've read Dickson Carr's The Hollow Man which I remember thinking was very clever and heartily recommended it to people but I found this story trudged along a little too slowly for my liking.

Still, not a bad read but not five star.

ByteStor Pro 16GB 40Mbps Class 10 High Speed Micro SDHC UHS-1 Card with SDHC Card Adapter

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't condemn this out of hand but didn't suit my needs, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You can start pressing the Unhelpful button now.
I had hoped to use this to put music on to listen to in my car. My 'radio' does not have a CD player but an SD card slot (someone would have thought this was a good idea). My laptop took the thing quite happily and I downloaded a few items. My system in the car did not recognise that anything was on the card despite me having played back the music on my laptop after downloading, so I knew it was there.
The card was then tried it in a WiiU, it didn't like it either.
I think, and this is just a think, that it was the small integrated chip that caused the problem, but what do I know.
So it will go in my camera.
I'm sure this is a fine thing, if this is what you are looking for, but I found that for my purposes it just didn't work. Will now try bog standard cheaper one. Fingers crossed.

Spontex Disposable Dusters (Pack of 12, total 84 Dusters)
Spontex Disposable Dusters (Pack of 12, total 84 Dusters)

4.0 out of 5 stars A must to bust that dust.......I trust!!!, 26 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you sometimes feel, when dusting, that all you are really doing is moving the dust to other areas or,if you use a household polish, that streaks seem to be left on your furniture, then I think these may be a handy solution.
It certainly picks up dust and holds it as it shows all too well on the white cloth.
I agree with other reviewers who have said to keep a pack in every room and in the car too for those times you suddenly see that dust building up. (Don't use it on glass tops or mirrors.)
A handy disposable product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20