Profile for JJ > Reviews

Content by JJ

JJ (Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting, informative and, at times, wittily written book, 10 May 2015
Though no doctor or research scientist, I enjoyed this very much. I've always been sceptical of the way statins are handed out so readily, especially after an acquaintance had really bad side effects when prescribed them.
The book is well written and quite amusing in parts (what Dr Kendrick would do with a wet kipper, if only he had one. Researchers, beware). It is informative and though you had to 'pay attention' on some parts, and other parts had some 'ok, I'll read that again' moments, on the whole he made it a fairly easy read.
We should all read this to realise how much the big pharmaceutical companies dictate our choices, fund so much researching by so-called unbiased doctors, professors and scientists, that the hype about cholesterol being the big killer is pushed so hard nothing else has had a look in for years. The amount of money spent on blood tests and giving out statins each year is phenomenal. The worry that people may be prescribed these when they have shown no symptoms of heart disease - the 'just in case' drug - is also scary.
Dr Kendrick does his best to show you a way through the fog. He freely admits he may be banging his head against the wall, his own father-in-law takes statins as prescribed by his own doctor. However, it will do you no harm to read this, you may learn something and it will help you make up your own mind one way or the other.
The Kindle version is a bit hard on the eyes re the graphs published and there are typing errors but it is ok.

The Eco Friendly Medium Beco Ball, Blue
The Eco Friendly Medium Beco Ball, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Play ball, 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Even my old dog enjoyed her play around with this. The ball is tough though hollow, it makes an appealing sound (to my my dog anyway) when chomped on.
It is slightly vanilla scented so perhaps that is the appeal. It has a hole and is hollow, but I don't think you are supposed to fill it like a Kong.
The ball is made of rubber and rice husk so sound eco friendly.
The main thing is, my dog likes it.

Santa Rita Bougainville Petite Sirah 2010 75 cl
Santa Rita Bougainville Petite Sirah 2010 75 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, full bodied, 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We had this wine on my birthday and both it and the day were enjoyable.
It has an aroma of cherries and dark berries. It is smooth in the mouth with a peppery robustness at the back of the throat giving you a good depth of flavour. Pouring into the glass it is a deep purple colour.
It will obviously go really well with roast meats but we were eating treacle glazed salmon and found it settled well with the slightly sweet oiliness. To each their own, I guess.
This is a fine wine and one to savour.

The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500ml - Icy Mint
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500ml - Icy Mint

3.0 out of 5 stars Too nippy for me, 28 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I made the mistake of using this right after cleaning my teeth, my god, I staggered round the bathroom holding my face thinking frostbite was the inevitable outcome. I knew it was alcohol free so thought it would be ok. I was very wrong.
So maybe don't use it after teeth cleaning.
I wonder if I would have been better off with Mild Mint??
Anyway, there is a recommended 1 minute swish around (I managed about 20 seconds) and then another capful for gargling to get rid of bacteria in the throat.
I'm not a huge fan of mouthwash and wouldn't buy this now I know it is on the nippy side. However, I will use it up avoiding the frostbite-in-the-mouth route.
If you can handle Listerene you'll find this a nicer one.

The Breath Co Fresh Breath Dry Mouth Lozenges - 72 Pieces - Mandarin Mint
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Dry Mouth Lozenges - 72 Pieces - Mandarin Mint

4.0 out of 5 stars Nippy sweeties, 25 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are definitely for a purpose. I would not pick one up if I just fancied a mint. The small square, individually wrapped lozenge is sugar free being sweetened with sorbitol. For this reason you only have one every 3-4 hours and no more than 7 a day.
They are flavoured with mandarin and mint and contain zinc and magnesium stearate. They have an odd minty taste, not sure I found mandarin and have a strangely nippy sensation on the tongue. Not an unpleasant taste but not that pleasant either (a friend disposed of his in the bin) but the rest of us did not.
I think it does help with the dry mouth feeling and I think having a few in your bag for times of eating out would be a good idea. They are said to be effective in eliminating bad breath caused by garlic, onions and smoking etc. I think they may also be handy for those odd times when you just seem to have a bad taste in your mouth.
4* with reservations as the taste is a bit odd.

Toy Story Battlesaurs Reptil
Toy Story Battlesaurs Reptil

5.0 out of 5 stars The new 'favourite', 24 April 2015
This review is from: Toy Story Battlesaurs Reptil (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Given to a six year old who loves playing with figures like this. Seems a solid well made toy so was happy to pass it on as a gift. So far it has provided hours of play and is the new 'best' toy. No doubt there will be clamouring for more of this series as the detail and the making of it look impressive. So we are all happy bunnies.

Simply Good News
Simply Good News
by Tom Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Simply....a bit of a misnomer., 24 April 2015
This review is from: Simply Good News (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I agree with the review by Steampunk, this book is verging on the scholarly. It looks deceptive especially if you take the title to mean the good News simplified for our understanding. It has a nice bright cover, the font is not too small, reading it looked a doddle, but it wasn't. I found I either forgot what he'd been rabbiting on about or I had to stop and think, right, what he was saying was.......go back, have a look at previous paragraphs, tell myself to concentrate more etc. So I found it hard going.
It was interesting what he was saying about how churches today and maybe your own minister still preach, you are all sinners so repent. The message of love, caring, respecting your neighbour is in there somewhere but often not to the fore. I know I have left a Sunday service feeling more down than lifted on occasion. But it is the message of love and joy that keeps you going back.
Coupled with watching Professor MacCulloch's interesting TV programme Sex and the Church, it makes you wonder at how much the message Jesus was spreading has been distorted through the ages to suit various fanatics.
I think a brighter brain than mine may find Tom Wright's thoughts interesting, challenging and thought provoking. For me, sitting on a pew at the back and singing lustily, it was hard going.

Maxwell Williams White Butter Holder Individual
Maxwell Williams White Butter Holder Individual
Offered by Colanders FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute butterdish, 15 April 2015
This is a nice way to present butter on the dining table. Small and neat and it goes in the dishwasher. Be careful how you pick the whole thing up though or the top may slip quickly from the bottom. I have seen chunkier more solid ones than this, this is quite delicate.

A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 15 April 2015
This review is from: A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD] (DVD)
This is possibly a Die Hard film too far but it whiles away a boring, nothing on TV evening.
Why do these films always start off with a wife in tow but somewhere along the line she will have disappeared? She was always a side line anyway but how much more interesting if the 'hero' actually managed to hold on to her. I mean the kids turn up on a regular basis, as they do here, but who knows where the mother/wife has got to in all their back stories.
Anyway, if you've watched any of the other Die Hards you will know they premise. Not as good as the first two.

Ingenico 5100 Credit Card Terminal Rolls 1 Box (20 Rolls)
Ingenico 5100 Credit Card Terminal Rolls 1 Box (20 Rolls)
Offered by K Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Till rolls, 15 April 2015
These fit the machine fine. Good price. You do get lots of them so they will last. Paper quality is a bit thin but that's ok.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20