Profile for JJ > Reviews

Content by JJ

JJ (Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips GC6611/30 SpeedCare Iron Steam Generator with 120 g Steam Boost and 1.2 Litre Water Tank, 1200 ml, 2400 Watt, 4.2 Bar, Purple
Price: 118.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Too much ironing too little time, 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I often do an awful lot of ironing, which is never a good thing but comes with the job. I do not think they can invent something that will make ironing a joy but this makes it a bit easier.
Other reviewers have given all the necessary dimensions and general ins and outs so I would not like to re-state things but I probably will. So briefly, it is lighter and smaller than I expected. You pour water in the front of the large tank (there is a maximum level) and switch it on at the back. Two minutes later it is ready to go.
The iron itself feels small and light and it is certainly a powerful steam jet that instantly cuts through the creases. There is a small button on the underside of the handle that you keep depressed for the steam. You can set the temperature dial to deal with delicates like silk, in which case the steam will not work.
After a month or more it will beep to let you know you need to do the Calc-Clean process. This keeps your iron running smoothly. It wont let you skip this procedure but it sounds quite straightforward.
I am pleased with this.

Miele S6210 2000 Watt Power Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Sprint Blue
Miele S6210 2000 Watt Power Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Sprint Blue
Price: 149.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Vacuuming can be quite tiring, 27 July 2014
This certainly has a lot of suction but one thing it cannot handle is dog hair. Having a labrador, there is always some dog hair about but the Miele prefers to roll it about on the carpet but not necessarily suck it up. I suppose I should have gone for one that actively mentioned being good at picking up dog hair.
Having previously had an upright I find that, though the motor part is on castors and not that heavy, dragging this and a long hose around is very wearing. Also the really good suction does not make for something that slips easily over the carpet. It obviously takes up more storage space due to to the hose and suction attachment, than an upright would.
There is a bag to change and two different filtration things (you are recommended to change fairly frequently). The bag is covered so you don't have to deal with too much dust and the new one slips in quite easily.
You do not see on the picture that there is a large plastic holding that fits where the hose meets the metal of the handle. This holds the two attachments and looks large though is not exactly in the way. Some have said the attachments can still easily fall from here if you knock it against some door or furniture. I cannot seem to remove it now it is on.
As stated suction is very good and my car looked amazingly clean when I used it on the flooring and upholstery recently.
However, on the whole, I miss my good upright.

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
Price: 4.63

4.0 out of 5 stars All you ever wanted to know, and more, about digestion., 27 July 2014
Gulp tells you all, and much much more than you needed to know about the act of eating, tasting, digesting and excreting all that we take into our mouths.
Mary Roach not only follows the food we eat through our digestive tract but recounts past medical oddities, digestion habits of various animals and what Elvis really died of.
It is a fascinating if sometimes slightly repulsive look into our inner workings.
Roach makes information quite accessible to those who have not considered digestion (except when it pains us) and is quite amusing and light-hearted about her research.
I did, at one stage sit down to eat lunch while reading this but found this was not a good idea at all.
An interesting book.

Town & Country Medium Comfort Fit Premium Gardening Gloves for Ladies
Town & Country Medium Comfort Fit Premium Gardening Gloves for Ladies
Price: 11.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking gloves, 27 July 2014
Nice gloves with a snug fit making them good for picking out finer, smaller bulbs or weeds, whatever. You get pretty good protection from thorns etc from the leathery palms while the material on the back stops hands getting too sweaty.
A good buy.

Ultrasport Coolmax Sport Socks - multi-coloured, 2.5-5
Ultrasport Coolmax Sport Socks - multi-coloured, 2.5-5
Price: 5.72

5.0 out of 5 stars They are clearly labelled, 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These socks are really soft and comfortable and I don't find any rubbing at seams or anything untoward like that. Really good to wear with your walking shoes, I would say. These go up to a size 5 and when they arrived I thought they looked a tad small but they felt great on.

They have the added bonus of being clearly labelling which sock goes on which foot. This is both extremely handy and a bit frustrating, as I went and put the sock marked L on the R foot and so had to take it off and sort things. This can make sock putting on, if you are not vigilant, a bit time consuming.
Why are more socks not labelled this way? Why is it left up to us to work out which goes on which foot? More clear labelling for socks, I say.

nature pure Potent Raspberry Ketone
nature pure Potent Raspberry Ketone
Price: 11.45

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stick with it, 10 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried these for over a week but then gave up. The main reason was they gave me a feeling of heartburn and when I looked up info on Raspberry Ketones I find that their has been no study (on humans) done for these tablets, so that was not very reassuring. My friend also tried them and felt (after only doing it for a couple of days) quite flatulent (to be polite!!!).
The other problem was when you take them. I have to get up pretty early for my job but it is recommended you take these 20 minutes before eating breakfast and 20 minutes before tea. This was a bind and I forgot once or twice and took them 10 minutes before (that was as long as I could wait). Who knows what difference, if any, that made.
Whether these work for you or not (and I notice some helpful, if negative reviews have come in for the popular Unhelpful button) it is surely worrying that there has been no study into side effects.
You pays your money and you takes your choice. Some people seem to have found them helpful. But be aware of stated side effects from some of the other reviewers.

Haggard Hawk (Nathan Hawk Mystery)
Haggard Hawk (Nathan Hawk Mystery)
Price: 2.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 22 Jun 2014
I think I was surprised how much I enjoyed this, I don't know why.
I thought the characters were very well-drawn and I took I great liking to the hero and the smart (intelligent) woman who takes his fancy.
He is an ex policeman and reluctantly gets involved in trying to find the perpetrator of a nasty murder in his adopted village, where all is not quite as it seems (but is it ever?)
I will definitely get the next.

Pegasus Health Salmon Oil for dogs 1 Litre
Pegasus Health Salmon Oil for dogs 1 Litre
Price: 18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Bonnie thinks its tasty, 22 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My old chocolate Labrador has stiff and aching joints but has other problems with her legs too. So though she enjoys the taste and I'm happy to give it to her (as I feel it must do some good) I think her problems are more than just arthritic joints.
So we gave it four stars as she feels it gives her dry food a better taste and maybe it is helping with the old heart and the coat seems a bit better. It is easy to dispense and you can easily see how much would suit your dog and it certainly lasts, which is good considering the price.
You do what you can for your old pals, stiff of leg and grey of face cos, after all, they are still your best buddy.

Scholl New Massage Fitness Sandal Navy Blue Size 5
Scholl New Massage Fitness Sandal Navy Blue Size 5

4.0 out of 5 stars So far with socks!, 6 Jun 2014
I suffer from plantar fasciitis and sometimes my foot is painful and my heal can feel numb, so I bought these as they were supposed to help with the condition and massage your feet as you walk.
You are of course walking on little rubber/plastic nodules and I have not yet managed to walk for long without the aid of a safety net - in the form of a pair of socks. However, I do find they bring some relief and are not too bad for going about in, around the house.
If you suffer from foot pain these may help even if you break yourself in gently.

KJV Study Bible Handy Size pink (King James Bible)
KJV Study Bible Handy Size pink (King James Bible)
by Barbour Publishing Inc
Edition: Imitation Leather
Price: 13.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyecatching, 6 Jun 2014
This is a lovely edition of the KJV Bible. Nice cover with a soft leather feel to it. The pages are of a thinner material just like old Bibles used to be. Some may find this too delicate but I love it. It also means that the Bible is kept compact in size. The pages are gilt-edged and there is an integral page marker. There are old maps at the back and a place for a dedication at the front. In fact just like my old school Bible.
The study notes at the bottom of pages are a welcome help and the English language in the KJV makes for quite poetic reading at times.
It would fit into a handbag and would make a lovely present.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20