Profile for jody > Reviews

The Art of BioShock Infinite
The Art of BioShock Infinite
by Irrational Games

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment after the art of Bioshock 2, 13 May 2014
I dont write reviews on this, but I received this today and I have to say i'm disappointed in it. Not the packaging or anything, but the content itself. I felt that the incredibly Bioshock 2 book (which ive owned for years) had tons of genuinely amazing things they wanted to show us and they packed it in to amazing effect. This feels like more of a cash in. There's still some great stuff, but it's padded with filler. There's a lot of very unrefined, quick sketchy stuff in there. That would be fine if it was a footnote, but the thing that make me feel like they were filling space is that many of these underwhelming sketches receive single or sometimes double page spreads.

This is when it feels most like a cash in, it's like; OK, we need to make the art book now, we need to fill this many pages on this character, and this many pages on that character. There's so much rich and beautiful imagery in this game and this book really doesn't explore enough of it, it feels small. I even have a sneaking suspicion that some of the less impressive stuff was produced in a hurry only to fill space in this book.

I've seen the Bioshock 2 art book going very cheaply on here, it would recommend that much more highly and you'll save yourself a lot of money in the process.