Profile for msCX > Reviews

msCX (EU)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

5.0 out of 5 stars A no brainer - if you are Prime Member you should have one. period., 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
Excellent device offering excellent content. So pleased that the Spotify Connect app now works properly. A million times better - this side pf Apple's 9 march 2015 announcement! - than the Apple TV. I now have two of the devices, they are so good and so much used.

Merkur 39C Slant Bar DE Long Handled Safety Razor
Merkur 39C Slant Bar DE Long Handled Safety Razor
Offered by Shaving Shack

5.0 out of 5 stars superb razor!, 5 Mar. 2015
Very pleased with this safety razor. Not dangerously aggressive at all if you have been SR shaving for some time. Gives me a real good, close and clean shave. Closer and better than the non-slant version of this razor - the Merkur 38c Baberpole (which I also have). I prefer this razor to the Muhle Grand Closed Comb razor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006WO6VA6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage because it is heavier and I like the way you unscrew the head (both for this and the Barberpole) from the base of the razor. This seems safer and nicer to me. A word of warning: as you might expect, this Merkur 39c razor will not fit into the Muhle Deluxe Shaving Stand: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D4523BM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Anker® A7908 Portable Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker with Super-Sized 4W Driver & up to 20 Hours of Playtime - White
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little BT speaker, 28 Nov. 2014
Excellent little BT speaker. Of course the sound coming from it is constrained and not hifi BUT it is clear and has some depth and for the size of the speaker and the price it is absolutely great.

iZKA® - [NEW 2014] ECO-PRO DUO (5V / 2.1A) Micro USB UK Energy Saving {Fast} Mains Charger Power Supply For Amazon Kindle Fire HD 2013 Model, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HDX, Kindle Touch, Touch 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 3 / 3G, Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" - Extra USB Slot To Charge Other Devices
Offered by IZKA

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and good charger, 12 Sept. 2014
Very pleased so far with this charger. Charges quickly - haven't timed it against my Amazon HDX charger but it seems fast enough for me and much faster than other less powered chargers.

TeckNet® New Apple iPad 4 and iPad 3 (with Retina Display) Smart Case - Front & Back Full Protection Smart Cover With Magnetic Auto Wake & Sleep Function - Full Grade Leather (PU) with Micro Fibre Inner Cloth - Included Screen Protector and Stylus Pen - Black
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing I ever did to my iPad 2, 30 May 2014
This ultra-slim and stylish case is nothing less than wonderful ... at least a couple of weeks after receiving it. Long may this continue. It has transformed my enjoyment of my iPad by providing an ultra thin but smart and very easy to use case/cover. I can't think why I ever bothered with any of the previous three or four cases I have tried. It makes my iPad look very smart and is so light and thin that there is never any wish or need to remove it when you have the iPad in your hands. I only take the iPad out of the cover to put the iPad in a portrait mode charging dock. The auto wake/sleep function works exactly as it should as does the fold back support in the design of the cover for allowing the iPad to stand up in landscape mode.

Other cases have either been bulkier (and so lose all the smartness that comes from an ultra-slim case) or just a mistake when I tried some sub-£30 bluetooth keyboard cases. The bluetooth cases gave up working and added far too much bulk to compensate for the attraction - when they worked - of having a proper keyboard for the iPad.

The pen/stylus that came with the case is a very nice and smart addition and the other extras - screen protector, etc. - welcome (though I haven't tried them yet).

The Times Literary Supplement
The Times Literary Supplement

1.0 out of 5 stars An app worth trying - SADLY BUT NOT ON LOLLIPOP - to enjoy a fantastic journal, 17 Dec. 2013
LOLLIPOP UPDATE: Zero stars for the TLS with Lollipop (because it simply doesn't work with Lollipop). Four stars for the TLS with non-Lollipop OS (iOS or KitKat), see below. Obviously, content-wise the TLS rates at least five stars but it can't earn any of those if you can't read its content!

Unfortunately, the TLS are currently failing completely and miserably In dealing with their apps' total inability to operate with the new Android Lollipop system. Every time you open the app and then move from the introductory pages to the first article or select an article from the contents list, the app immediately throws you out and closes - it is impossible to read any review in the TLS on a device running Lollipop. My Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (first gen,) fortunately is still running KitKat 4.4 and so I can read the TLS without difficulty on that. My new Sony Xperia Z3 tablet runs Lollipop and so the TLS is unreadable on it. No problem with iOS 7 on my old iPad or iOS 8 on my iPhone.

This is a ridiculous problem for the TLS still not to have got resolved. I first encountered this with a new Lollipop device last Friday (24.04.15) and despite several emails to them requesting an update on what they are doing to sort this and thanks from them for bringing it to their attention there has been total silence since then. I had a different Lollipop problem with the Economist but they promptly dealt with it by telling me to trash the com.economoist file in my device when deleting and reinstalling the app. That option doesn't seem to be available here and no matter how often you uninstall and reinstall the app or reboot your device, you cannot read the TLS with Lollipop running as your OS. Why didn't the TLS think ahead and plan for Lollipop? There must be enough developer guidance and help out there for them and all other pre-Lollipop app developers. This problem seems to have been around - as you would expect - ever since Lollipop came out!

COMMENT ON NON-LOLLIPOP RUNNING OF THE APP (my now slightly edited previous review): I agree with Scott below that there are some issues with this app. However, after using the app for a few weeks I have now decided to increase my rating of this app from two stars to four stars (I might possibly have given it five stars for the great journal, very attractively presented by this app, that the TLS is). The app presents a great literary review and comment journal in a very attractive and very convenient format. If you already like reading the TLS (or have thought about it before but not wanted to commit to an annual paper subscription), you should, at the very least, seriously consider trying out this app with its offer of two free issues of the TLS (over the 14 days trial period).

I originally took out a Kindle subscription with a 14 day free trial. It seemed that I could read whatever I wanted of the current issue on my Kindle HDX, despite being invited to buy it or login as a subscriber, but if I tried to read the same issue on my iPad (having downloaded the iTunes TLS app to Newsstand and having the Kindle on my iPad too), I could not do this without logging in and there I ran up against the problem Scott identified - you need a subscriber number with which to do this but are never given one when you subscribe to the Kindle app. Also, the TLS (still but perhaps unsurprisingly) does not appear anywhere in my Kindle app on my iPad.

I rang up the help line given in the iTunes app - no number is offered in the Kindle app - and was given a digital subscriber number but that failed to work (both on the iPad and on my Kindle). I was then told they couldn't help with the problem, despite being the digital subscriptions "department", and given a telephone number that would help. When I rang that it turned out to be the website "department" and they are not responsible for dealing, or able to deal, with any app problems! They did, nevertheless, kindly offer to try and track down someone in their office who may be able to help. This is where my luck did change and as a result of a lot of dedicated and persistent hard work and chasing by someone at the TLS (who I don't think should have had to do this), I can now enjoy the TLS on both my Kindle Fire HDX and my iPad 2. Thank you, TLS!

My solution has been to take out a digital subscription directly from the TLS webpage, rather than via the Kindle app in Amazon, although to read the TLS on my HDX I obviously still need to download this free Kindle TLS app.

The TLS direct subscriptions work out a little cheaper than via Amazon but you have to sign up for a quarter/three months (as a minimum), rather than just a month with Amazon.

When I took out a direct TLS subscription, I was sent an email which included my (correct) subscriber number. This seems to be five 0s followed by a number of other numerals. This worked straight away on my iPad but there have been problems getting it to work on my HDX. However, by dropping four of the initial five 0s at the front of my number, it has now worked on my HDX.

Two (slight) drawback issues with the Kindle app having started to use it: (i) bizarrely, the contents column for it does not give you the title of the book under review or its author (you have to click to the review to see that). So, for example, looking at the downloadable contents list (in PDF form from the TLS website), I can see that Lucy Beckett a couple or so weeks ago was reviewing Miles Hollingworth's Saint Augustine of Hippo - An intellectual Biography and that David Martin was reviewing Nigel Biggar's In Defence of War. However, what you see in the Kindle app's contents column is simply: Lucy Beckett - Complicating Augustine and David Marshall - Somersaults! You have the same issue with the TLS iTunes app;(ii) while you can increase the text size from a very small size to a still quite small size - on the iPad the text size seems to be bigger and so this is less of a problem - there is no pinch and zoom. Also, even with KitKat/iOS the app will form time to time require you to log in again to download an issue.

So, it could be better but the TLS is still a fantastic and unrivalled journal and the convenience of being able to read it anytime, anywhere, via your Kindle Fire (or iPad) is just great. The photo images and cover in the journal display beautifully. I just don't understand those people who complain that the app only gives you the option to buy issues, rather than a free supply of issues. What did they expect for a free app? The description on Amazon about the app is very clear - it provides "a vibrant new way of reading the TLS" - it is a means to an end but not the end in itself (as is the case with most magazine and newspaper apps!).

So, after getting all my initial access problems sorted I can now enjoy reading (not via Lollipop) a wonderful journal in a much more convenient and elegant way than before. As more options and features are added to the app, things can only get better! I would encourage anyone who is interested in the TLS or who already enjoys reading it and isn't wedded to hard copy formats, IF THEY DON'T EXPECT TO READ IT ON A DEVICE RUNNING LOLLIPOP (at the moment)to give the app a go and, if you have an iOS device as well, to consider a direct TLS subscription, rather than a Kindle subscription (though, as mentioned above, you will still need to download this Kindle app to read the TLS on your Kindle Fire).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 3:33 PM GMT

EasyAcc Nexus 7 Case Smart Cover with Stand Auto sleep Wake up for GOOGLE Nexus 7 Tablet 8 / 16 / 32GB (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit too basic for my liking BUT the UltraSlim Cover is great! Read below, 19 Mar. 2013
I returned my cover after just a day or two's use, I am afraid, and Amazon were their usual goodselves in refunding etc. The problems I found with it have been mentioned by other reviewers. It has a very strong chemical smell that might have disappeared over time but just wasn't very nice to have to deal with in the hope that it would gradually disappear. Not great to be showing off your new Nexus 7 and having to apologise in advance for the nasty smell.

Secondly, it is quite bulky and has the appearance more of a canvas cover, than a leather-style cover. To be fair, I'm not sure it claims to be "leather-like" and I wasn't, of course, expecting real leather or anything like that. However, on the minus side, all the attraction of a slimline Nexus 7 is lost when you put it into such a thick heavy bulky cover. Of course, on the plus side, you can feel quite confident that the Nexus 7 will be well protected when wrapped up in the cover.

Third minus point for me was that the cover itself didn't lie flat over the screen. It was raised up just a little near the hinge and that added to appearance of bulk. I think I am not alone in noticing this.

If you want something very cheap and basic and the chemical smell isn't an issue for you, this cover may well be a good buy. However, if you want something that seems more in keeping with the attractive slimline style of the Nexus 7, I would consider the EasyAcc UltraSlim Google Nexus 7 Case Smart Cover with Multiple Stand / Auto Sleep Wake-up for Nexus 7 Tablet ASUS 8GB/16GB (PU Leather, Black) which is what I bought in place of this cover. The UltraSlim Cover has one drawback over this EasyAcc Nexus 7 Case Smart Cover and which is that the cover itself will not fold all the way back behind the Nexus 7 but that's not necessarily all bad news, as you may see in my review of the UltraSlim Cover. Otherwise, it wins in all other respects - genuinely slim looking (even if inevitably adding to the Nexus 7's bulk) and much better looking.

Bizarrely and very unsatisfactorily, I see that my preceding review for the EasyAcc Nexus 7 Case Smart Cover (currently £7.99) also is treated by Amazon as a review for the EasyAcc UltraSlim cover I have just mentioned as being a much better cover! Please check very carefully the product heading in any review you are reading. If the review has "This review is from ..." and the product then mentioned is in solid black type, the review should be of the actual product about which you are currently reading reviews. However, if the product name following those magic words "This review is from" are not in solid black type but are highlighted/hyperlinked, the review has probably been written in relation to another - the hyperlinked - product. All very unsatisfactory!

So, back to EasyAcc UltraSlim Google Nexus 7 Case Smart Cover with Multiple Stand / Auto Sleep Wake-up for Nexus 7 Tablet ASUS 8GB/16GB (PU Leather, Black). Yes it has the one drawback of you not being able to fold the actual cover 180 degrees back behind the Nexus but the plus side of this is that the Nexus will stand up (at a steep incline) in landscape mode if you turn the cover back and let the Nexus rest on the turned back cover. Obviously, you get a better standing incline if you use the standing function as you should but this "casual" mode of standing with the Nexus 7 is still useful.

Otherwise, it looks smart, doesn't have a smell and seems substantial enough without being bulky. Using the standing feature with the cover isn't such a hassle either - some people have complained about having to force out two corners of the cover to do this but it's not difficult or at all tedious to do that. You can stand the Nexus 7 in portrait mode (with this cover still on but obviously hanging open (like an open book)) by using one of these excellent little stands: Daffodil IPC410 Smart Phone and Tablet Stand - Foldable Vertical and Horizontal Mount for iPhone / iPad / Samsung Galaxy / HTC One and all Mobile Phones.

It does add some bulk to the Nexus 7 - making it more difficult, if not impossible, to slip in the inside pocket of your (man's) jacket - but I haven't come across any cover that seems to offer a slimmer less bulky fit, other than the Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet Navy Blue/Black(Final Version) which looks very nice indeed and seems to be ultra-ultra slim. However, not only is it half as more expensive again but, more worringly, there have been several reviews of it (incl. on Amazon US) that have said it looks great to begin with but fairly rapidly starts to look a bit tatty and doesn't wear well.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 21 Jan. 2013
Seems to work well as a simple way of getting photos on to an iPad into the omnibus camera album.

Time to Pray: (Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England)
Time to Pray: (Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England)

1.0 out of 5 stars Why on earth buy this?, 26 Oct. 2012
Why buy this eprayer book when you can get all of its contents plus so, so much more (like Morning and Evening Prayer, Night Prayer and a full Psalter and set of Canticles plus other prayers, etc. for starters!) for 41p LESS by buying the entire Common Worship Daily Prayer book in the Kindle edition? Common Worship: Daily Prayer (Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England)

It just doesn't make any sense at all. I can see why you might just want the convenience of a small office book such as this Time to Pray in hard copy, to carry around with you, rather than the much heavier Daily Prayer book, but when we are talking/praying ebooks, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

If you want an even better eprayer book bargain and are not committed to using Common Worship or have any problems with using the 1979 prayer book of ECUSA (obviously Anglican and not so dissimilar from the Common Worship updating of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer), why not consider this absolutely amazing bargain for only (currently) £2.68: THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER (Special Kindle Enabled Version): Authorized Edition | Authorised Edition OVER 500 PAGES OF CHRISTIAN PRAYERS (Prayers for Kindle / Prayer Books for Kindle) Check a sample of it which will show you enough of the extensively hyperlinked contents to show you what you get to see in the full copy. Not sure why one reviewer of it complains about how hopeless it is to use when it is so well hyperlinked.

However, this is supposed to be a review/comment on the Time to Pray Kindle edition so I'll say no more about other prayer books. No stars (or the obligatory one star) for the pricing of Time to Pray in Kindle format; probably three or four stars for the actual content of Time to Pray when considered not as an ebook but as a prayer book in its own right and with no consideration of pricing entering into that judgment. Since any review of a Kindle edition of a book that is available in hard copy should, IMHO, take account of its pros/cons as an ebook version (and one of those must fairly be its price), I make no apologies for giving this review the minimum star(s), rather than three or four stars.

Extra Long 3M Black USB Charger/Data/Sync Cable for Apple iPhone or iPod (iPad Sync Only)
Offered by Sinbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should - very well in deed!, 9 Sept. 2012
Well worth buying if you want a decent length to your iPad/iPod charging cable. With this I can use my iPad in bed comfortably while still charging. And it does carry the charge - obviously, for an iPad you need an appropriately powered charging plug. Nice to have it in black too and at a reasonable price, supplied promptly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3