Profile for Mr. M. Kay > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Cappella
A Cappella
Price: 9.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Kings College, Cambridge - fresh and immediate in their singing, 23 July 2014
This review is from: A Cappella (Audio CD)
When I first heard the Trinity Boys Choir, I thought immediately that they were better than Kings College Cambridge. Having heard this, I still do. There is a freshness and an immediacy to their singing which most other choirs lack. This is also a nice collection of different pieces, many of which I haven't heard before. Delightful and highly recommended!!

Hammond Hits Highway/High Wide
Hammond Hits Highway/High Wide

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have Mr Stoneham on CD!, 23 July 2014
There are very few Harry Stoneham CDs to choose from - few have made it to CD. These are as good as any that he has produced and fans of his or organ music generally, should have no hesitation in buying this. Two LPs now on CD.

Synology DS214Play DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
Synology DS214Play DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
Price: 270.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and easy to set up and use, 16 Jun 2014
I am well pleased with this product, it is easy to set up and easy to install the drives into. Good options in the control software for computers (a Mac in my case). I'd have no hesitation in recommending one of these.

WD 500GB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Elements Portable External Hard Drive - Black
WD 500GB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Elements Portable External Hard Drive - Black
Price: 35.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 16 Jun 2014
Works well and does what it should. Very small and light weight, so easily portable. Recommended. With USB 2 it is not fast, but I was backing up my entire hard drive!

WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
Offered by M.T.
Price: 92.04

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 16 Jun 2014
Easy to install and works just as it should. The price seemed perfectly reasonable and the product appears well made. Recommended.

Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Starter Kit
Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Starter Kit
Price: 49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will, 16 Jun 2014
Excellent product - perfectly happy with this. Highly Recommended. I like the control app too, so all in all worth buying.

Grieg: Piano Concerto in A Minor Op. 16 - Two Elegiac Melodies for String Orchestra Op. 34 (Remastered)
Price: 3.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Accepting the recording's age, 4 stars, 2 Mar 2014
My Dad used to own a reel to reel tape recording of this 1959 mono recording which I remember him playing on his old Grundig tape recorder. The performance from a well respected pianist and orchestra of the day, is excellent. I have heard many modern CD recordings of this which are very good, but as performances are less good than this, though there are of course exceptions to that.

Here the original 1959 mono recording has been remastered quite well. Pretty much all of any original tape hiss has gone without detriment to the treble. My criticism would be that the recording sounds rather thin during the louder parts, especially in the treble range, though that will in part be due to the mp3 compression. I compared this recording with a recording of this performance which someone has posted on YouTube and find that that version is less compressed, but has a fairly significant level of tape hiss. Both have strengths and weaknesses then. On balance, I would say this was preferred - just. It is also priced very fairly to reflect its age and origins.

One slightly irritating point is that the first note played by the piano at its entry after the short orchestral introduction to the second movement, is distorted which spoils this beautifully crafted entry by Grieg. That doesn't happen on the YouTube recording, so is not on the original master tape, and is a pity, because the pianists handling of the emotional aspect of this work, is spot on - not too much rubato, just a perfect level of emotion with well chosen tempi, etc.

Accepting the limitations of the original recording then, this is an excellent performance with an average quality 1950s mono recording. Old recordings, especially the ones from Decca's heyday, prove what could be achieved even then, and I have a recording from the early 50s which is so good it could have been made yesterday (that is of a different piece of course).

So 4 stars with these reservations from me.

Scare Me
Scare Me
by Richard Parker
Price: 7.11

3.0 out of 5 stars The premise sounds very promising, but ultimately I felt disappointed, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Scare Me (Paperback)
The excellent reviews and the synopsis had obviously raised my expectations too much. The premise sounded very intriguing but if you think about what it says on the back cover - 'Seven houses. Seven homicides. Seven chances to save his daughter's life' - you soon realise that all that happens is that one event is repeated six times. Little changes between them, so the book is really quite repetitive.

The author uses the age old technique of creating suspense by cutting away from one scene to another, in a different place. But 'cliffhanger' moments are nothing new and do add to the suspense. The problem is that the book has too many superfluous characters and it is to one of these that the action repeatedly cuts. Tam for instance, exists only so we can be kept aware of the state of the kidnap victim. He serves no other purpose, and the author does not develop his character or plot line at all. The two journalists, Pope and Weaver, serve no purpose either and their presence does not affect the progress of the story or change anything in any way. Like Tam, they are essentially padding and I found scenes featuring them fairly tedious, slowing down the pace of the real action.

As is usual in stories like this one, a lot of the things that happen would not happen like that in real life. It would be impossible to travel the world with a laptop and remain connected to a wireless internet service throughout, or to keep changing phones and remain in contact with the necessary people. Or to get to the required places in the time span given.

I kept asking myself what I would do if I were in Will's position. I know that I wouldn't have done as the kidnappers had wanted me to, and kept this to my family. To do so wouldn't really make sense. Neither was the chance meeting on the plane and the behaviour of the characters in that scene very likely.

There were times too when it wasn't clear from the narrative, who was actually speaking, which became annoying.

The killer is not as clever as they should have been either - I can think of several missed opportunities on their part, and in the end the resolution and explanation whilst adequate, also failed to be 'clever', in the way that some of these stories can be quite neat.

We also know little about several of the characters even by the end of the book and the story does not feel properly resolved to me.

It isn't a bad book and if I'd been more gripped by the plot development, I would have managed to read it more quickly - it took several sittings and about a week in total as I found it too repetitive as I've indicated. If you read it more quickly, you may enjoy it more than I did. Harlan Coban's 'Tell No One' is a much better example of this kind of story.

The Lord Is My Shepherd (Psalm 23) (Faber New Choral Works)
The Lord Is My Shepherd (Psalm 23) (Faber New Choral Works)
by Howard Goodall
Price: 2.67

5.0 out of 5 stars The full score!, 28 April 2013
This is actually the whole of the arrangement that we have heard so often - with nothing missing. Exactly what I wanted it to be. Good price too. Excellent!

Utopia [Blu-ray]
Utopia [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Alexandra Roach
Price: 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars On every level, this is a Masterpiece, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Utopia [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Utopia - Series 1 [Blu-ray] This is just brilliant in every way. The plot, the acting/directing/cinematography/soundtrack, are simply fantastic. Television hasn't been this good for ages - a masterpiece.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3