ARRAY(0xb0e486a8)

Profile for orsharp > Reviews

Content by orsharp

orsharp (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Engineering Mathematics: A Modern Foundation for Electronic, Electrical and Control Engineers
by Tony Croft

3.0 out of 5 stars Maths textbook, what do you expect, 4 July 2013
Bought this to help me through my first year of engineering at uni. Standard textbook really, nothing that exciting but had everything I needed and was a decent enough help and gave me more problems to practise with.

Marathon Man (Bloomsbury Film Classics)
Marathon Man (Bloomsbury Film Classics)
by William Goldman
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes hands redundant., 4 July 2013
I know it is cliché but with this book the pages literally do turn themselves (thus the rather confusing review title). From start to finish the tension built up in the novel is absolutely brilliant it will have to reading right on the edge of your seat (yes, another lovely cliché there). The characters are very well presented are you are in constant need to know what will happen to them next. Twists and turns that are not confusing, they actually make the story make more sense in a very strange yet clever way. For any fan of crime or thriller novels this is a definite must read. Probably hands down the single greatest thing I've ever read, and probably ever will read. The kind of book that as soon as you have finished, you want to flick to the start and read it all over again!

The Gallery
The Gallery
Price: 8.93

5.0 out of 5 stars One of metal's greatest achievments, 4 July 2013
This review is from: The Gallery (Audio CD)
This is purely a fan opinion review I'm not really going into any great depth about the music or structure of the way the album is set out or anything so if you are interested in that kind of this please read another review! In my view this is simply one of the absolutely greatest metal albums of all time. From start to finish song after song of sheer metal brilliance. I would definitely say this is the best of the "melodic death metal" scene and probably the whole of the "death metal" scene, but it is so much more than that. Out of any genre or sub genre of metal in my books this comes up top end off all metal albums I own or have heard. Even if you are not a "death metal" fan this album is a definite brilliant purchase you will be listening to it from start to finish multiple times a day. Its the kind of album that if you forget about then find it again later you will wonder how you ever forgot about it. Top notch stuff. Must own.

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Current King of Prog, 7 Mar 2013
Steven Wilson is, in my opinion (and quite a lot of other peoples opinions it so seems) an absolute genius. An absolute master of progressive rock music and most definitely one of the best out there currently for the genre. Any fans of Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree of any Wilson side project will probably already have this but if not it is definitely well worth buying. Fans of prog in general if you haven't heard any of Wilson's stuff you should definitely get this and give some of his other stuff a go, as I say he is a King when it comes to the prog these days!

Wonky
Wonky
Price: 11.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Wonky (Audio CD)
Electronica and techno masters Orbital are keeping up with the times here and showing all these so called "dance" artists how electronic music is made. I've got to admit it has nothing on the likes of In Sides which for me is mind blowingly brilliant every second of the album, but Orbital still know what they are doing.

Deliverance
Deliverance
Price: 6.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers every time!, 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: Deliverance (Audio CD)
Upon first listen of this album my thoughts were, "Oh my god this is amazing!" and it just keeps getting better with every listen.

Track 1, Wreath, is a brilliant opening track and brutal as hell. The brutality continues into the title track, an epic 13 and a half minuter which has, in my opinion, the greatest Opeth riff ever written at the end of it. To be honest I would recommend this album for that riff alone it will keep you head banging for hours and hours.
Track 3, A Fair Judgement kills the brutality to fully show off Mikael Akerfeldt's brilliant singing voice and gives the growling (and the headbanging) a break. Well the head banging not so much as it still gets pretty heavy in places, the end of this track also having a brilliant riff. For Absent Friends, classic Opeth short instrumental filler, nice acoustic track to get you ready for the mind-blowingly heavy track Masters Apprentices. This is one of Opeth's finest tracks ever written, heavy as hell with a nice acoustic middle that shows no signs of turning heavy again, no progression back into the growling death vocals, and then boom goes straight from one to the other, smacking you square in the face in the progress.
The final track By The Pain I See in others is yet another brutal heavy epic Opeth song, complete with some of the best acoustic guitar work on the album in my view.

Overall, this album keeps getting better and better with every listen. I would fully recommend this (along with Blackwater Park) as the albums to get if you are starting to get into Opeth. No filler tracks at all on this album, even the filler is hardly a filler!

Feed My Soul
Feed My Soul
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars YES!!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Feed My Soul (MP3 Download)
Absolute good and proper hard rock how it should be done! Brilliant riffs, brilliant vocals, brilliant guitar solos, what more could you ask for? Instantly a classic in my eyes, God alone knows why this band is not a lot more famous, they definitely deserve to be that's for sure. An absolute must for any hard rock and heavy metal fan.

Area 52
Area 52
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, but good different., 25 Mar 2012
This review is from: Area 52 (MP3 Download)
As per usual, Rodrigo y Gabriela are amazing. In this album they are playing along side Cuban musicians and have made a very Latiny albums, doing some Latin versions of previous work. It is pretty different to just the two guitarists playing themselves, but in my eyes it is a very good kind of different. A very feel good album to get you up on your feet that you really cannot go wrong with if you're throwing a party! All the usual guitar is still there, so if your a fan of Rod y Gab you still get all the stuff you came for, with a nice Latin flair. For a fan of Latin and Cuban style music this is an absolute treat. If you are new to Rod y Gab I'd say get their self titled album first to hear what they are usually like, then get this for their songs turned into some great dancing tunes. Overall I think this is a fine album that belongs in the collection of lovers of guitar and Latin music alike.

System Of A Down
System Of A Down
Price: 3.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Best SOAD Album, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: System Of A Down (Audio CD)
I heard this album after hearing all the rest. And my god was I happy to hear this album. I was more a fan of Steal This Album and Toxicity, and didn't actually know they had an album prior to that, so when I found out about this I was excited. Whatever the opposite of a let down it, this album is exactly that. It's heavy, insane at points, full blown metal. My favourite System album by a mile. If your a fan of the stuff before Hypnotise/Mesmerise and haven't yet heard this, its a definite must have amazing album for the collection. In fact even if you do prefer the Hypnotise/Mesmerise stuff, buy it anyway, it's bloody amazing!
Top songs: Sugar and War? and Darts.

Quadrophenia
Quadrophenia
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 10.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant., 21 April 2011
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
This is by far (in my opinion, obviously) the greatest album of all time. Every single aspect of the album is sheer genius and John Entwhistle's bass playing on this album is out of this world. The only bad thing is after listening to this album, every other album by anyone doesn't sound so good any more! A must buy for any fan of anything really, just a must buy in general.

Page: 1 | 2