Profile for puddley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
first direct Banking on the go
first direct Banking on the go

5.0 out of 5 stars Tops!, 13 Dec. 2015
Installed this, having first checked with First Direct that they were able to confirm the authorised version was available via amazon.co.uk (There had been no customer reviews which I found curious, not to say suspicious.)
First Direct was able to confirm the app has only recently been available via amazon/kindle, thus probable reason for current state of er.. reviewlessness as I write (what a great new word!)
It downloaded within one minute and works perfectly. I first tested its authenticity by entering (slightly) incorrect information and it bounced me as I had hoped it would. I then used the 'secure key' method and all seems just fine.
Having satisfied myself that I have downloaded the real thing, I am able to recommend this app for use on a kindle (wish the kindle itself was as reliable; this is my fourth kindle fire.. and it keeps switching itself off!)
The First Direct app is absolutely tops: simple, logical and it has also worked beautifully on my smartphone for some months now. (I would, though, recommend you always access your account only via smartkey from all mobile devices and certainly while not utilising your own secured home wifi router.)

A Questionable Hero: He Was A Ruthless Yardie Gang Boss, So Why Did He Save The Life Of A  Policewoman? Book #1 in The Liston Pearce Thriller Series.
A Questionable Hero: He Was A Ruthless Yardie Gang Boss, So Why Did He Save The Life Of A Policewoman? Book #1 in The Liston Pearce Thriller Series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Questionable !, 7 Dec. 2015
Once in, was rambling and contentious after a promising start and so implausible as I saw it. (An habitually gun wielding hardened criminal can hardly be considered even a 'questionable hero,' I would suggest.) There are those that would disagree with that in the context presented in this story. The protagonist may well have taken the best action in the circumstances -don't worry, no spoiler advice necessary!- but heroic..? not questionable at all.
Having said that, it was an interesting read initially and, given that I abandoned it, my review can only be given so much credence. Have a go yourself and see if you like it?

Mystery: The Experiment N-32 ( science crime fiction Mystery Thriller Suspense Psychological) (Mystery Conspiracy Drama Scary Crime War  experiment  revolution  political)
Mystery: The Experiment N-32 ( science crime fiction Mystery Thriller Suspense Psychological) (Mystery Conspiracy Drama Scary Crime War experiment revolution political)

1.0 out of 5 stars A great training aid for apprentice proof readres, 6 Dec. 2015
Atrociously, carelessly written from the first page and not worthy of the 20% I have to give it. I invested no more time after reading that first page than it took to remove form my device. A great training aid for apprentice proof readres. Spot the deliberates?
Not if you liked this book and hate my review you won't!

The Child Taker & Slow Burn (Special Edition 'Unputdownable'): 2 Nail Biting Thrillers

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 6 Dec. 2015
Very well written, high~octane and uniquely stylised novels overall but with occasional, repetitive and unnecessary 'melodramatics' which, in my view, would not carry well even as a film script.
One particularly irritating example was in 'The Child Taker' with aggrieved mother Hayley repeatedly, tediously referring to her lost children as 'my babies.' The point had been made well enough, her panic and grief evident.
After a while of enduring this, I felt predisposed to give the poor woman a virtual slap for overdoing it. (This is one scene in particular and which I can not find just now, to reference it.
for you.) It ended up a distraction to the obvious trauma the character would have felt in that her children were missing.
Both stories ('The Child Taker' and 'Slow Burn' are fully loaded in the 'blood 'n gore' department which works rather well by way of a change, since such scenes are more often written less graphically and so with relative subtlety. The shock of that was engaging by its matter~of~factness. And if that isn't a phrase, it is now.
Again, though, the author should consider economising from time to time, rather than always and forever describing serious and fatal injuries in absolute, all-the-way full colour. This writer does not believe in the great 'unsaid' which writers of gravitas and experience utilise to masterful effect, one example among many being Thomas Hardy. At the risk of imposing terrible cliche... how about leaving at least something to the reader's imagination and crediting them with the intelligence and enthusiasm to do that? This 'tell it all, full colour, 3D approach' may present its own danger ultimately, in terms of the distraction of repeated high graphic drama or melodrama. It is potentially a tiring, tiresome and predictable style per se. To read a third book with similar descriptive style? I think I would be inclined to skim the text while thinking, "I've read all this before.'
On balance, both Jones' stories are to a high standard in the genre of modern and gory crime thrillers; they do engage and entertain and, as such, I would recommend both while congratulating the writer for two highly imaginative and, for the most part, believable pieces.
This is certainly one of the better (non classic) fictions I have come across, notwithstanding there is some utter rubbish out there, courtesy of the ease of self-publishing.

100 Property Investment Tips: Learn from the experts and accelerate your success
by Rob Dix

4.0 out of 5 stars There will likely be a gem in here for you, too !, 14 Aug. 2015
Started off telling me stuff I already (thought I) knew but, in such a book with 100 tips, I do think it worth buying, even if for just the one gem that strikes a note for your particular circumstances. As a result, my eyes were prised open that, rather than smugly luxuriating in the increased value of a rental bought some years back, I should actively grab some of that 'locked in growth' to finance at least the deposit on another property. It hadn't occurred to me that I could reap the rewards of capital growth without selling. And so, 'capital borrowing' (as opposed to the far more cynical, 'equity release') was a new concept for me and indeed, entirely financed the deposit for a new property, rather than having to use funds from my savings.
Thus, one house became two, while doubling the opportunity for ongoing growth. Property number three won't be too far away, hopefully. And all without dipping overmuch into my own savings.
It feels like stolen money as a result; just love it!
For that reason, this book is worth buying. I was not mad on all the links it offered -somewhat hard sell and mildly irritating, I thought- but, that said, you will likely find a titbit or two in here that plants a healthy seed and reboots your property portfolio as a result. For that reason, I would recommend.

Who Likes Short Shorts
Who Likes Short Shorts

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly, refreshingly brilliant. If you fancy modern, risque, cynical, dry comedy: it's all here!, 1 Jun. 2015
CAUTION: Tongue in cheek, adult review of an adult humour book. (Don't read it just to be offended; we all know you're out there: ..move on, that's it.. oh and don't lose the halo while you're about it!)...

...Have they gone..?

****************************

At last, I too am able to say I have read something that had me in fits of uncontrollable laughter. I have never believed it when others have said such; and what right did they ever have to be so bloody euphoric, anyway (the ba*tards).
Anyway, I have joined the club. I couldn't actually read on at times. But nor could I look away. The pregnancy test episode was one example; dialogue with Keith as to failure in dating was another..and as for the memo to the aliens for fear of futuristic anal probing......'My best friend Keith..' ..my ar*e!

The writer's style and content will be, I suppose, loved and dismissed in equal measure. Actually, I have no idea about measure, so I don't know why I even said that. I felt a warm glow as I wrote it, though and that's the main thing.

But, who cares, anyway! I am right. Very right. And, what's more, I am unanimous in that. Sortwell has touched a rather funny bone. And those that don't agree are so wrong ~yes, really, very wrong~ and, actually, so much so that they should at least consider shooting themselves (And be quiet about it and don't make a mess.)
Or, at the least, tidy up afterwards.

The world is a funnier place, thanks to Mr Sortwell and so, well done, Sire!

So funny, I could eat my socks. (Not, though, so bloody funny that I would even consider eating yours.)

Must try harder...

...Here's one that can't wait 'til Sortwell does just that.

In Car Dash Cam Camera DVR Dashboard Digital Driving Video Recorder 402G Professional Full 1080P HD
Offered by iZilla

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive in car cctv and would recommend, 23 May 2015
Very sharp imaging and, actually impressive at night, too. There are limits. An unlit road with an unlit number plate heading towards you under two typically glaringly bright headlights is not fair game for criticism in my book (previous review refers.) It is unlikely you will see the plate on playback. The camera (max price at £149 but findable new for around £116 and have seen it at £47 as a refurbished example) does not contain an 'industrial' quality lens; nor does it have a brain behind it to selectively concentrate on difficult to see darkspots among highlight areas. It is a keenly-priced and surprisingly high quality cctv in car system. It is not, though, the Hubble telescope.

Also worth bearing in mind -and here I think is a technical limitation which I hope the manufacturer will consider changing- the camera records in response to motion being detected in front of it and so, should you have an accident and the third party comes to your window to admit or deny liability... or more typically, perhaps, to try to punch you on the nose, the audio -presuming you have this set to 'on' which I would recommend- may well no longer be recording at this point, having switched off simultaneous with image recording. Unless that is, you happen upon a passing troupe of go~go dancers who are willing to put on a show in front of your crumpled bonnet; in that case, rest assured all will be recording very nicely.

But until such time...

Would be useful if, with the so called 'g' sensor detecting rapid deceleration/a collision, it caused the unit to continue to record regardless for, say, 15 minutes. The same feature could kick in should the user hit the 'protect' button. Finally, be aware that some cars do not offer continuous power to cigarette lighter/other power sockets; the unit is designed to only run under its own steam for a short time. With your engine turned off, you are on borrowed time..
..with or without the go~go dancers.

The camera is easy enough to remove from the car after it has loosened up a bit. 'Which? magazine' and others fuss over this unduly, in my view; the trick is learning how to remove it before you really need to and so master this simple procedure before it is in situ to save forcing it and getting impatient; it slides to the left, away from the driver (in a right hand drive vehicle) having crimped the securing mechanism.
If it slid off 'easily' it would likely vibrate while driving.

For those who continue to have trouble, consider a frugal smear of WD40 -applied from a cotton bud- on the section where the bracket slides on and off. Take great care if you do this since the lens could be damaged on contact. In essence, this idea would be last resort, not best practice. Whatever you do, don't squirt straight from the can!
If it all goes wrong, you didn't read it here.

On removing the camera to watch the footage (curiously compelling; I should get out more, if not to record more footage) the micro/SD card typically needs to be inserted into an adaptor which can then fit into the card reader of a computer, such as that on my Apple. The thumbnail images download to my computer desktop automatically. Selecting 'import images' allows you to view the clips. You have the option to delete from your camera card at this time. I see no point given that the camera overwrites perfectly well as a matter of course but that's a detail amongst detail.
And if it all works with an Apple computer.. it'll work with anything!

Tip: If you attempt to remove the (tiny) micro/SD card in the car, you stand a good chance of it springing out. Yes, of course you'll find it easily... Take the camera indoors!

My guess is you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of image and also of the audio. I was staggered, actually; car index numbers are typically crystal clear once you press pause to freeze the moving image and the vehicle looks just as if it were parked. Pin sharp: wheels and all (and with a typical closing speed of 120mph odd on a rural 'A' road, that is pretty cool!)

What isn't so cool is the realisation that you talk to yourself while driving alone all the time. Oh, yes you do!
That said, perhaps I should actually just stay in more.

This camera is, I think, all you need: for a single direction incident, certainly. Buy another for the rear window if your neurosis allows such indulgence. It is a fairly priced, high definition piece of kit, geared for the domestic market. Having mine installed has afforded me a strangely potent reassurance; I think you may experience the same. It also tends to improve one's own standards of driving. Strange but true and not the first to report this.
But happy to take the credit.

For all these reasons, I recommend this particular version without reservation.

Final tip: At the risk of sounding presumptuous or condescending, I would suggest you don't get smart and announce you have cctv., should you be involved in an incident (not least, it could have been your fault!) And if it wasn't, they would know that you likely have them hook, line and sinker.

This might not do you (or your nose) any favours at the scene.

Good luck, stay safe!

Parenting Book: 50 Tips on Building Your Child's Self Esteem (Raising Girls, Boys, Potty Training Toddlers to Teenage Kids) Child Rearing & Positive Discipline - Psychology & Development in Children

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, unpretentious advice for parents, 30 Nov. 2014
Common sense tips (although not as 'commonly" used as they ought to be, I fear!) from start to finish. Written in a refreshingly disarming manner in terms of honesty of view. Was as if reading 'post-it' notes stuck to the writer's fridge!
Thoroughly recommend this book; my only reservation is that those that really need to be told all this will not also be the sort to pick up such a book, let alone read it in order to learn from it.
Oh, cynic is me!
Another small niggle was that it was all written referring to children in the female gender; this made it seem oddly exclusive (if not, excluding) and detracted from the message slightly. At the risk of being a boring literary traditionalist and one who lays himself (or is it herself?) open to shouts of 'sexist!', it might have been stylistically wiser to refer to the child as 'he' and 'they.'

A Christmas Killing: A Kevin Byrne Short Story (Byrne and Balzano)
A Christmas Killing: A Kevin Byrne Short Story (Byrne and Balzano)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top dollar!, 30 Nov. 2014
Skilfully paced short story, lacking the melodrama of so many other short story writers (Conrad Jones being a particularly fine example of unnecessarily colourful hyperbole!) Here, the prose is atmospheric without any hint of laboured description; rather finely understated, actually. Subtly crafted, including the principally untouched 'other story' in regard to Sheehan's private misery.

The Book of Pranks
The Book of Pranks

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm..., 3 Oct. 2014
One vaguely funny story at the end of a paltry near plethora of unfunny ones. Good for nothing, though? Actually, no.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4