Profile for Oliver Sedgwick > Reviews

Oliver Sedgwick

Page: 1 | 2
Honeymoon
Honeymoon

4.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical about this album as I loved Born to Die & Paradise but felt hugely let ..., 13 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Honeymoon (Audio CD)
I was skeptical about this album as I loved Born to Die & Paradise but felt hugely let down by Ultraviolence. I thought I'd give it a go though as I wasn't ready to give up on Lana as the 2nd album from most singers is usually hit and miss.
I would say the sound of this album definitely leans towards her earlier work, which I liked best. I has aspects of dream pop/trip hop which I also enjoy and her vocals feel less distorted/covered by the music.
I'd say my standout track is either God Knows I Tried or Art Deco, though the album flows well as a whole and they're all easy to listen it, I didn't find myself skipping any the first few times round.

High School of the Dead [DVD]
High School of the Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Junichi Suwabe

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 9 Sept. 2012
I got this anime in spite of some of the reviews saying it was 'pervy' and I actually really enjoyed it. It was quite serious on the most part and each episode seemed to fly by, the only problem is all the junk at the end of each episode, it's got Japanese credits, closing scene, preview of the next episode, English credits before the next one.

I found all the characters to be quite interesting especially Hirano who goes from geek to weapon expert like that & Takagi who was sarcastic, clever but arrogant- it was kind of annoying that she wouldn't really help fight till halfway through. The other characters where good too, except Rei Miyamoto I just didn't find her that interesting.

The plot was quite interesting and there was situations I was thinking 'ooh, what would i do?' and like other people have said it's like a zombie movie broken down. There are clear influences here like one scene was RIGHT OUT OF RESIDENT EVIL 2, I was sat there like 'are you messing?' but it all came together nicely. It was chock full of action too, there was guns and swords/wooden swords and everyone was dealing quite well- maybe a bit too well for a bunch of 15/16 year olds.

Now why i gave it 4 stars instead of 5, I would have liked something extra at the end- I won't spoil it- but the end was lacking. I was annoyed that the horrible teacher wasn't killed in any way, shape or form. I was annoyed that the OVA wasn't included, so I'll have to wait for another series before I can see it properly (I don't really like watching stuff online, before anyone says 'You can just watch it on YouTube').
Also the main gripe of everyone who gave it bad reviews: The Fan Service. I didn't find it offensive, but SOME of it was unnecessary, though it didn't detract form the enjoyability of the show it just felt a bit gratuitous e.g. two people are talking and then it goes to a shot of the girls unchanging, or the bath scene- one episode was basically all the girls having a bath and the guys talking about guns.

Overall it was a really good series, it kept my attention and had enough going on to fill the series,maybe it could have done a bit more, we never found out about any of the parents and it didn't rely on flashback episodes to use more time. so i give it 4.5 as I explained above it didn't quite warrant a 5. Hope you enjoyed my review :)

Overall

Paprika [DVD] [2007]
Paprika [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Megumi Hayashibara
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Paprika was amazing, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Paprika [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I got this film because it was a highly rated anime and because I'd seen Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue and really enjoyed it, seeing as this was about the dreams and altering reality I decided to give it a try.

Firstly the animation was amazing, apparently they used some cgi in there- I couldn't even tell! The whole dream sequence is so extravagant all the movement and the colours it was brilliant.

The music was something else as well, i had to get the soundtrack most of it is outstanding, it really works with the film and was apparently the first film soundtrack to use a vocaloid- a program/machine that mimics the human voice.

As someone who immensely enjoyed Inception, I heard this was one of Christopher Nolan's inspirations for Inception I had to see it. The plot is really good, it keeps you guessing for most of the film and ends up with a huge fight in dreams/reality. The detective subplot was really inventive too, and I felt quite sorry for him when he was waiting for Paprika etc.

Paprika is one of those films you can watch again and again and it all comes together even better, though it ends like Inception where you aren't overly sure what's been reality and a dream or if they're still in the dream.

My only criticism is that the subtitles only match up with the Japanese, so watching in English with the subtitles - a little thing I do with every film- is annoying.

Overall this film is great, and could fit in the same category as The Matrix - I just can't wait to read the book which was written in the 90's. It's a shame it took so long to make this film, and with a live action film being made soon this fantastic piece of cinema will reach more even people. 5*

IXOS XMI208 Fold-up iPod Travel Speakers
IXOS XMI208 Fold-up iPod Travel Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Speakers, 28 Aug. 2012
I got these after borrowing a friends one day, and they're amazing for the price.

They're easy to carry around, have really good quality sound which can get slightly crackly when they're on full and the ipod/mp3 is on full as well. They have really long battery life too, I use mine for about 4 hours a week and the batteries can last about a month- only problem was i thought they were braking when the batteries were running out as the sound starts getting distorted.

Still fantastic as everyday speakers, if they brake or get lost they're cheap enough to order more.

Outpost [2008] [DVD]
Outpost [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Stevenson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think much of this, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Outpost [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
This film- while some people might like it- didn't do anything for me. I thought it would maybe be like Dead Snow which I thought was OK or Dog Soldiers which I really liked.

What happened was a bunch of soldiers find an abandoned Nazi/SS base where they were making super soldiers and then get stuck there because the super soldiers are hunting them. Not much happens for most of the film, there's soldiers stuck in a small underground base with maybe 5 rooms to see trying to figure out what this place is, who's attacking them and what's wrong with the one almost dead survivor they found.

It was good that the group were all from different countries and backgrounds, some were older and more hardened to war etc when they got attacked. This didn't really help relate to the characters, or make them distinguishable in any way, when they were talking I found it hard to remember who was who because they didn't draw you in to remember the characters names, so it didn't really matter when they die, just another one down.

*SPOILER* It's one of those films where everyone dies at the end. I'm not a big fan of those, in some films it's effective e.g. Eden Lake- but here it's just a disappointing end to a disappointing film.

I didn't like this film, so I've only given it 1* it was hard to find any redeeming qualities except the gore and monster make up was quite realistic.

Black Butler Complete Series Box Set [DVD]
Black Butler Complete Series Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daisuke Ono

5.0 out of 5 stars <3 Black Butler, 27 Aug. 2012
I got this series as it was recommended by a friend- not being an anime series connoisseur (I've only watched Ouran High School Host Club)- I was shocked to find another series I really enjoyed.

It has really good animation, it's all drawn amazingly with lots of detail, my only comment is that the background people don't move or blink at all if there's a crowd or something they're all like mannequins.

It brings English history into it, it includes Jack the Ripper, Queen Victoria, the Cutty Sark, the opium trade, Edward V & his brother Richard Duke of York. It put it's own twist on them all but I really enjoyed that side of it, the mystery solving was a really good idea.

It was funny all of the characters were funny Sebastian & Ciel were quite sarcastic and cutting, while the servants were all bumbling fools- we later find out why they were selected to work for Ciel though. The undertaker and Grell were personal favourites though, I think I preferred Grell as a human though.

I liked the little cake labels that popped up in most episodes, it's only a small detail- but being a big cake fan it was quite nice. The music was also very nice, I had to buy the soundtrack too, it ranges from classical pieces and opera to having it's own 'character themes' which the Japanese actors sing themselves.

It was quite dark for an anime series though from the plot to the colour palette (except Lizzie), but anime/asian cinema uses trauma to create deep and relatable characters which enhances the experience.

Overall I think the series is great and can't wait to get the second one! 5*
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2012 7:51 PM BST

Ouran High School Host Club Tamaki's Bear Plush Bag
Ouran High School Host Club Tamaki's Bear Plush Bag
Offered by Toy Zany

5.0 out of 5 stars <3 this bag, 28 July 2012
First it turned up really quickly, as it was from America it only took a week maybe. Second, I love Ouran High School Host Club and this bag is a lovely piece of memorabilia - better than a notebook or some badges. It's really well put together, the only problem is that it can't hold much, but it can carry the essentials, so it's not really for everyday.

Inception
Inception

5.0 out of 5 stars Short & Sweet, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Inception (Audio CD)
It makes me cry. Music hardly ever does that, it must mean something. I don't know anything about the composition or creation of music, but this album is amazing however it's been made.

The Devil Inside [DVD]
The Devil Inside [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fernanda Andrade
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars The trailer made it look good...., 27 May 2012
This review is from: The Devil Inside [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this film in the first week it came out, to get maximum jumps with a room full of screaming people. As someone who found paranormal Activity and Insidious scary (the idea of something huge and invisible being in your house is a horrible thought!) this was a total let down, it had some scary moments but the build up didn't ever get there, to top it off the things they had her saying were just hilarious, the whole room was laughing instead of screaming when she's writhing round the table being possessed and that and she's shouting all this funny stuff- it wrecked the atmosphere.
Honestly the biggest jump this film gave me was when a dog jumped at the wall when the characters were walking past. It was interesting that they pulled religion and the Vatican into it, but it wasn't enough and the story just didn't get anywhere.
The ending could have had another scene of exorcism where they really pulled out the stops but they chose not to, the ending is actually one of the worst I've ever seen, it's like 'Oh. That's the end?'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 10:00 AM BST

Memories Of Matsuko [DVD]
Memories Of Matsuko [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miki Nakatani
Offered by The World Cinema Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of Matsuko, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Memories Of Matsuko [DVD] (DVD)
This film is amazing. Tetsuya Nakashima is amazing. I've seen a few of his other films and this is the best one so far.

The story is sad, funny, realistic & crazy. The whole feel of the film is an experience from brutal violence to cheesy happy songs (the soundtrack to this is great too)the way the film's tone sways in sections reflects matsuko's changing circumstances and character.

I got this for my birthday as apparently an 'asian Amelie', and actually cried at the end, for someone who has seen hundreds of different types of films and not cried that means a lot. The only other film I cried at was The Green Mile, and both of these films are in my top 20 list. It might seem a bit off the wall to begin with, but you won't regret watching it even if you don't think much of it.

Page: 1 | 2