Profile for Alan King > Reviews

Content by Alan King

Alan King "Alan King" (Lincs, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Samsung 32GB Class 6 24MB/s Micro SDHC Standard Memory Card without Adapter
Samsung 32GB Class 6 24MB/s Micro SDHC Standard Memory Card without Adapter
Offered by Big Ben Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 32GB SD card, 28 April 2013
Slightly cheaper and slower (24MB/s) than a Class 10 SD card but great for Samsung Tab 10.1 tablet. Original Samsung product sent and packaging was pretty easy to get into. Recommended

Skagen Designs Men's Leather Analogue Watch 233XXLSLN with Blue Dial
Skagen Designs Men's Leather Analogue Watch 233XXLSLN with Blue Dial
Offered by Cores Opt

5.0 out of 5 stars Skagen Designs Men's Leather Analogue Watch 233XXLSLN with Blue Dial, 13 Jan. 2013
Skagen has been my watch of choice lately and this design does not disappoint. Very smart to look at and comfortable to wear. Text is well defined and includes a date counter. Time keeping is excellent. Watch face is a deep blue and looks lovely. Recommended for the office or going out. Superb!

Love Bollywood
Love Bollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Bollywood, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Love Bollywood (MP3 Download)
Very much enjoyed this album. A nice combination of songs which should give you a taste for Bollywood. Album was an MP3 Download. Recommended!

Asus Eee PC 1011PX 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N570 1.66 GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 250GB, Windows 7 Starter) - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus Eee PC 1011PX, 12 Nov. 2011
This is a very quick review as it is really a warning to anyone wishing to buy the
1011PX based on Amazon's description of the product.

The two issues I have had is that this model has the 23w/h 4.5 hour battery and not the stated 11 hours mentioned in the description.
The Dual core N570 processor is fitted however. The other issue is no Bluetooth. It is only when I have read the manual does it
mention "depending on model" so these two issues mean that this 1011PX is not suitable for me.

Otherwise apart from the screen lid being a tad awkward to lift I am impressed by the 1011PX it is pretty nippy considering
the use of Windows 7 starter. The screen is very nice and the chiclet keys are brilliant. The netbook is very quiet and
runs cool. The trackpad and buttons are excellent. Hard drive capacity is reported as 217Gb with a D: partition of 100Gb.

Overall a great netbook, but for me let down by the Amazon description and misleading specifications by Asus.

Storage Options 52578 miScroll 7 Inch Android 2.3 Touch-Screen Tablet PC with Changeable Cover & Replaceable Battery (Battery Pack & Selection of Vibrant Coloured Covers Available Separately)

4.0 out of 5 stars Storage Options 52578 Options MiScroll 7 inch Tablet PC, 31 Oct. 2011
The Miscroll boots in around a minute which is not hugely quick but it keeps pace with all the applications I throw at it.
I can confirm that Android 2.3.1 is loaded on the tablet and it accepts a
SanDisk microSDHC 32GB Card Class 4 with no issue. Wireless capability works very well. I have had no connection issue
with BT internet and have succesfully used the internet about 15 mtrs from the house.If you have BT Broadband
and subscribe to the BT Fon community there is an App (on android market) that helps you find the nearest free wireless hub.

The Browser seems to have a bug as whenever I use it it just shuts down the browser once you have enetered a website
in the address field so I use the Search shortcut and get the internet this way. Movieplayback is great and the resistive
touch screen display is bright and clear, its not HD but for £100 it still delivers good quality. Audio playback is equally good.
Battery life is around 4 hours for purely movie/MP3/office applications and around 2.5 hrs with wireless switched on.
I plan to get the spare battery soon, the reason for getting the Miscroll in fact. I have actually bought spare covers, the grey
is nice as it certainly makes finger prints less obvious than the supplied black gloss cover.
A screen protector is already fitted on the Miscroll which is well packaged with a set of earphones, micro USB to USB cable, charger
and micro manual, no mini HDMI cable is supplied.

The Miscroll can connect to Android Market but you have to find it by alternative methods as officially
it is not supported by Storage Options...just install ES File explorer from the scroll apps shortcut.
Turn on your WiFi and run the ES File explorer app, once loaded press the menu button on the scroll, this
reveals a menu at the bottom of the screen then press the manager button then select app manager you should see
the App entitled "market", click market and then "select to" ...that's the android market shortcut! Worked for me anyway!

My android APP recommendations are:
OfficeSuite Pro 5 (£10) for word, excel and powerpoint
MovieGallery (£1.28/free) for MP4 movies
Amazon Kindle (ready to install on miscroll)
My Movies (£2.99/Free) to manage all your Movie collection
Train Times UK (£3.54)
Angry Birds
Google Maps

So all things considered a recommended Android 2.3.1 tablet if you can live without flash and therefore iplayer the Miscroll is a
very capable media player/email/twitter and general office/home gadget.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2012 8:11 PM BST

BitDefender Internet Security 2011, 3 Users, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
BitDefender Internet Security 2011, 3 Users, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Offered by Desire IT

4.0 out of 5 stars Bitdefender Internet Security 2011, 8 Aug. 2011
I have used bitdefender for a number of years and generally I have found the software efficient and pretty low key in operation.
Bitdefender IS 2011 is no exception to this in my view. It works and is pretty good at keeping things tidy without bothering you too much.
Of course it grunts and groans when a full scan is in operation but I think you have to be realistic when software is performing a virus
scan or working to protect internet activity. I would rather my PC be a bit slow on occasions than letting a virus/spyware through and trashing my PC!

** A note to AMAZON and purchasers of the 3 PC licence software ** despite the description of this product that the licences are valid for
a year it appears that this only applies if you load all 3 Licences (on 3 PC's) at the same time and register accordingly. In my case I had a PC that needed
virus protection in March, so I bought this good value option of 3 licences in March loaded and registered the software and all was well.
Little did I know that when my other PC and laptop needed their virus protection renewing that using the remaining 2 licences was simply going to
give me another year on those machines....WRONG!...I only have 222 days cover...why? because my first registration was in March (and that was 140 odd days ago)
hence the 222 days remaining protection on the 2 licences!

This is not mentioned anywhere on the software or in the description of the product from Amazon so please be aware of this.

This software does offer good value for money and it only really dropped a star due to my annoyance with bitdefender and the new way they are clearly
licencing the multiple PC software options these days. But I'm aware of it now ha!

Vogel's VFW 226 Silver LCD/TFT Wall Support for 14 to 26 inch Screens
Vogel's VFW 226 Silver LCD/TFT Wall Support for 14 to 26 inch Screens

3.0 out of 5 stars Vogel VFW 226, 27 April 2011
The VFW 226 is a very high quality mount although it seems to be at odds with the supplied fixing screws which seemed lower in quality than I would expect. I did actually use the supplied screws (x 3) and although I was not as confident in their quality they did fix the mount, but it was an effort (and care was taken) towards the last 10mm of turns to get the screws tight and not to shear them off. The drill holes have to be 60mm+ holes so not for the faint hearted perhaps!

I would have given this mount a higher rating if it was not for the unworkable tilt feature of the VFM 226. It just did not work for me (Sony 26inch TV). The mechanism had to be adjusted/tightened before fitting to the TV. Once the TV was fitted the tilt unit just let the TV drop to it's stop position. So no actual adjustment to the tilt was possible for me. I guess if you really tightened the device it may have worked but as it was made of plastic I was not taking any chances! My high-tech solution was to wedge something in between the mount and the tilt unit, that seemed to do the trick. The rotate feature worked well however you are limited to the movement here due to the distance between wall and TV only being 75mm but it is a compact mount as a result.

Overall I would say I'm disappointed with the VFW 226, although it should never come of the wall (due to the fixing lengths) the quality of the screws and (in my opinion) the design fault with the tilt unit meant that it was an expensive TV mount solution which required some additional fixes on my part to work :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2012 9:52 PM GMT

Asus Atom D510 AT5NM10-IMini ITX Motherboard Includes Sound Graphics and LAN
Asus Atom D510 AT5NM10-IMini ITX Motherboard Includes Sound Graphics and LAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Atom D510 AT5NM10-I, 15 Feb. 2011
The Asus Atom D510 AT5NM10-I features one PCI slot, 2 x DDR2 Slots, 2 x SATA, 24 Pin ATX Power connector...(requires 4 pin 12V power connector as per most motherboards), VGA output (15 pin), 4 Rear USB ports (additional 2 Onboard USB), Network port, 1 x Serial Comm port and LPT1 port. With it's passive cooled blue CPU heatsink and dinky size this ITX board looks really smart.

I can report that the Atom D510 is a Dual Core 1.8Ghz per core processor. I am running Windows 7 Premium 64Bit so I can safely say that this ITX board is 64Bit compatible. Applications run quickly and I have not seen any lag when running multiple applications with 2Gb of Crucial Ballistix memory sticks. Graphics is handled by an Intel 3150 unit and can handle resolutions up to 2048 x 1536.

The only issue I had with the board when testing with Windows XP was that the sound drivers had to be found manually and the graphics option defaults to a two monitor set-up (Windows 7 issue too) but both issues were easily corrected and the AT5NM10 has worked rock solid both in Windows XP and Windows 7 Premium. Have not tried any Linux OS's so I cannot comment on the Asus Atom D510 AT5NM10-I capability here but I understand this board does have support for it.

The Asus Atom D510 AT5NM10-I does seem to have an industrial feel about the specification, especially with the addition of a serial port and LPT1 port (ideal for CNC machine control) and only 2 x SATA ports. But this should not detract from a very capable product. For the current selling price the Asus Atom D510 AT5NM10-I offers great value for money in a tiny package and will certainly deliver good performance for most people's computing needs! Recommended

New Fujitsu M2010 10.1" Black Netbook, Intel Atom 1.66Ghz processor, 1Gb DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM, 250Gb 5400rpm SATA Hard Disk Drive, 6 cell 4800mAh battery, 25.7cm WSVGA BrilliantView 1024x600 Display, 802.11n Wireless card, Intel GMA 950 Graphics card (shared memory depending on RAM), 10/100 integrated LAN, Built-in Bluetooth, 3x USB 2.0, 1x VGA port, 2x audio interfaces, 4-in-1 memory card reader, 2 Stereo speakers, Digital mic, 1.3 megapixel webcam, Windows 7 Starter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujitsu M2010, 10 Nov. 2010
I was actually surprised to see this netbook listed at the price currently being offered by Amazon.
But is it any good?

Firstly the setup and install of windows 7 starter was painless, it took around 40 minutes all told from boot-up.
Reassuringly I had an option to partition the drive to how I wanted during the setup so big thumbs up from me!
Software installed included a trial of Microsoft Office 2007??, Cyberlink YouCam and the standard
Norton Antivirus (trial). A reviewer mentioned they had trouble removing this software but I just used
windows remove program utility...(make sure you never actually run Norton beforehand) and it was removed successfully.

One item of note is the brilliant LED screen, this is amazing as I have an ASUS 1000HE and it's heaps brighter and
much more defined. The keyboard is actually pleasant to use and I did not find it overly cramped, but clearly
this is a small keyboard! Trackpad (supports tapping) was excellent and the trackpad buttons were responsive although
a little loud when pressing!

The battery is a 4800ma six cell unit (which was delivered completely discharged). So far Windows 7 has indicated
a 4-5 hr battery life with wireless/bluetooth. A little less capacity than I expected perhaps but still plenty
long enough for most mobile activities. Turning the wireless option on also switches the bluetooth on as well so bear this in mind
if your concerned about battery life.

Strangely I could not find this exact model on Fujitsu's website, that is the version with a 4800 battery and 250Gb hard drive.
But all the other specs are the same. I can confirm that a webcam, card reader, 3 USB ports, VGA output, network
and audio ports are all present. Although the stated picture does not indicate the battery which does protrude out at the back slightly.

Delivery was very quick from Benthams and I was notified of despatch by email so thumbs up for their part in the delivery.

The M2010 uses an older Atom N280 CPU (rated at 1.66Ghz) however it was still very responsive and seemed to run Windows 7
at a decent pace, running on mains power. A heads-up about upgrading the memory however...the M2010 has only 1 memory
slot (A T6 Torx screwdriver is required to access the memory) so although the 1Gb installed Samsung memory is about adequate
any upgrade requires the 1Gb block being completely removed!

I am very impressed with the Fujitsu M2010 the styling and general build quality is excellent. Overlooking the limited memory upgrade option and
slightly lower battery capacity the M2010 netbook certainly delivers good performance and is currently incredible value for money!

TeckNet USB Webcam for Laptop/LCD screen/Desktop, 5 Megapixel, 5G Lens, Built-in microphone - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Tecknet USB Webcam, 10 Sept. 2010
Surprisingly I found the Tecknet webcam to be an all metal construction. So this webcam certainly is robust. Perhaps ideal for outdoor
surveillance or pursuits. The casing is a bullet shape variety with a capture button on the top. Dust and dirt protection seems
very good but I have not tested with spray or water. I would imagine that for this price the Tecknet would require an additional
enclosure.

The webcam worked great with Windows 7 (64Bit). Not requiring any additional drivers. Resolution was good using WebcamXP software (not supplied).
The Tecknet webcam can also focus down to 20mm if required (using the focus ring) which could be useful for close-ups!

The only small issue I had was not making sure the metal clamp/stand was firmly adjusted on my monitor as the webcam did slip off and
unfortunately the only sharp edge on the product managed to dig into my LCD screen...scratch! :(

Overall I think this is great webcam and recommended for the price, worth getting another in fact!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4