Profile for EquineArcher > Reviews

Content by EquineArcher

EquineArcher "Book worm" (Inverurie, Aberdeenshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Soft Digits 50-In-1 Outdoor Sports Action Camera Accessories Kit for GoPro Hero4/3/2/1 Common Camcorder Bundles for SJCAM SJ4000 5000 6000 7000 Xiaomi Yi Amkov Git1 Git2
Offered by Soft Digits-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok kit, terribly presented., 20 April 2016
I was SO disappointed when I opened this accesory kit, which I'd bought as a gift for my dad. No branding of any kind, when I opened it absolutely everything fell out - the foam inserts were poorly made and nothing stayed put. There were no instructions for use of the accessories, and all the pieces were in individual plastic bags (what a waste!)

My dad was very pleased, luckily, else I would have given 2 stars.

Hot Wheat Bag - Herbal Lavender Fragrance - Hot & Cold Pack Fleece (Elephant Navy)
Offered by TAOS

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice heat bag., 20 April 2016
Quality bag, nice material and a cute print. Recipient very happy.

Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish
Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish
by John Hargrove

5.0 out of 5 stars A depressing yet informative read., 20 April 2016
A very interesting book written by someone truly from behind the scenes. Regardless of "hidden agendas", Hargrove presents a well-argued and backed up case for no longer breeding orcas in captivity, and the conditions they suffer as a result of their situation. A very good accompaniment to other existing literature on captive orcas.

Sheaffer Skrip 2oz Bottled Ink - Purple
Sheaffer Skrip 2oz Bottled Ink - Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for lovers of lilac., 20 April 2016
A nice colour but not a strong colour. May fade.

The Real Lancashire Black Pudding Company Vegetarian Pudding 200g- Buy 2 get 1 free
Offered by Port of Lancaster Smokehouse Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, but my OH loved them., 20 April 2016
I didn't like this at all, found it far too aromatic - however, my recently veggie OH loved it and has eaten all three.

Packaging and delivery was fast and good. The puddings were cold upon arrival.

Granovita Mock Duck 285 g (Pack of 4)
Granovita Mock Duck 285 g (Pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice texture, odd flavour., 20 April 2016
Has a slightly unpleasant flavour, but this can be masked with a sauce or other ingredients. The texture is nice, but I won't be reordering.

Jalpur Stone Ground Gram Flour (Besan) 1kg
Jalpur Stone Ground Gram Flour (Besan) 1kg
Offered by Grocer

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Mar. 2016
Great for making gluten-free chickpea chips. Very generous amount, and good quality.

Granovita Mushroom Pate Tin 125 g (Pack of 6)
Granovita Mushroom Pate Tin 125 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really delicious vegan mushroom pate - great for toast, 7 Mar. 2016
A really delicious vegan mushroom pate - great for toast, crackers, stirred through hot pasta or used to make a creamy sauce.

Our Endless Numbered Days
Our Endless Numbered Days
by Claire Fuller

3.0 out of 5 stars Endless numbered pages, 7 Mar. 2016
I really wanted to love this book, but sadly I just couldn't.

The concept is certainly a very interesting one (I'm not going to recap it like so many others have; I'm sure, dear reader, that your eyes are just fine). However, I found it very poorly executed.

Too many things were left unanswered (was Oliver really that "dangerous"?)

The ending was anti-climactic and predictable. I'd already guessed, very early on, something to do with a pivotal character, which left the "shock" at the end not very shocking. I found that my overwhelming feeling on finishing the book was one of complete disappointment.

The authors descriptions of the wilderness, of trapping, of foraging and cooking, even fishing, are captivating and lend weight to the vaguely tethered believability of the story, but conversely seem drawn out and often I was tempted to skip bits to find where the book got gripping/spellbinding/tragic - something that, for me, just didn't happen.

Of course, the situation that the main character is placed in, and the hardships (if not a few horrors) she endures are tough, and one big reveal in particular (again, guessed long before the end) may leave readers feeling a little uncomfortable, but ultimately this was a big-let down. Not a bad book by any means, but certainly not a great one either.

Honest Review and Summary: The Girl on The Train
Honest Review and Summary: The Girl on The Train
by Honest Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read to pass a few hours., 15 Jun. 2015
I was lent this book by a work colleague under the promise it was "unputdownable". Well, safe to say I did put it down, more than a few times.

For me, this was a book of three parts.

The first third of the book was indeed gripping and interesting, with the novelty of the very much stop-start storytelling lending an interesting aspect to the story, being reminiscent, obviously not by accident, of train journeys themselves. I was wrong about what I thought Rachel, the lead character, would see from the train window, which was a disappointment, but the story quickly picks up afterward with a more interesting plot development.

The second part of this book left me a bit frustrated as the three main characters continued to go about their rather mundane lives. We learn more about the men involved in the story, and the plot did keep me engaged with a few more intriguing twists and turns, but I felt that Rachel in particular could have had her story moved along a bit, and the insights into Anna and Megan's lives seem like poor offerings in which the author plays her hand a little too obviously - the omission of names from certain scenes were, for me, a dead giveaway that all was not as the author would have you think.

The last third fell flat. I figured out what had happened way too early for my liking, so it was more a case of just getting through the book rather than actually being absorbed in the ending. I felt that the ending was far fetched and lacking in originality - the motive behind the mystery that Rachel has been investigating seems a little watery, and the reaction of the remaining female character was laughable.

Overall, and interesting and ambitious first novel, but let down by weak female leads lacking in backbone and strength of character (all their lives revolve around their need for their various men) and an unbelievable final act which falls well short of the "shocking" end I was expecting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3