Profile for Daniel > Reviews

Content by Daniel

Daniel (UK)

Cosmic Encounter
Cosmic Encounter

5.0 out of 5 stars A game of infinite possibilities (for three to five players), 20 Aug. 2014
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cosmic Encounter (Toy)
I have a few games in my collection, but I can safely say that this is my favourite. I can't believe there are so few reviews, and I feel it is my cosmic duty to encourage as many people as possible to experience this amazing board game! It's so much fun - each turn culminates in a nail-biting sequence of revealing who your victim will be, persuading allies to join you and then making your attack. The ability to read your opponents is crucial, as the opportunities for unexpected defeat, sabotage and back-stabbing are endless. However, the cherry on top of what is on its own a great game mechanic is the selection of alien races that take part in the cosmic struggle. The box includes 60ish alien races, each with their own game-changing ability. Players each represent one of these races, and make the most of the power they have adopted. Here lies the game's most appealing feature - the vast number of aliens included means that each and every game you play will differ considerably, due to each power bending the rules slightly. The replayability value is enormous - until you've experienced the game you won't understand the 'thrill' of playing as a new alien, simply having fun with your new power, but also adjusting your strategy to secure victory.

It's a game I've come back to countless times, with new and more experienced players, and it's a game I enjoy each time, without exception. It's brilliant. Buy it and join the war for cosmic dominance.

A Young Doctor's Notebook [DVD]
A Young Doctor's Notebook [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark and hilarious mini-series, 25 Feb. 2013
A set of dark short stories set in middle-of-nowhere Russia, where a newly trained doctor tries to live up to the reputation of his predecessor - the great Leopold Leopoldovich - whilst battling a morphine addiction. Not only is it dark, but it's really funny! The script, the way it's shot, and the acting make it a delight to watch. I was curious about Daniel Radcliffe's reputed acting talents too (not particularly evident in the Harry Potter films, or Woman in Black), but he played his role brilliantly here.

There seemed to be a lack marketing for this program - the only reason I knew it existed was an advert of 4OD. It's a shame too, as I think there will be a lot of people missing out on an excellent series. Highly recommended.

1Q84: Book 3
1Q84: Book 3
by Haruki Murakami

4.0 out of 5 stars A review for the trilogy as a whole, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 1Q84: Book 3 (Paperback)
A great story about some great (and typically Murakami-esque) characters. It felt a bit slow in places, but the writing style kept me hooked and the intermittent references to mysteries such as the Little People and the crow really piqued my curiosity. I loved how the story left questions unanswered, and reflected the in-story best seller 'Air Chrysalis' - a complex fantasy, which, although revealing little about its fictional world, grabbed readers attention thanks to its gripping style and curious plot. Very nicely done.

I was left thinking about it for days afterwards, which I always see as a sign of enjoyment. Murakami takes such care over his characters, and I always find that you can't help missing them a bit once you've finished one of his books! The book didn't quite make 5 stars because I got the feeling that it could all have been done in fewer pages, but I would absolutely recommend it to fans of the author nevertheless. If you are looking for your first Murakami read however, then look elsewhere (Kafka on the Shore, Hardboiled Wonderland).