Profile for Jam > Reviews

Roll Tickets, Admission
Roll Tickets, Admission
Offered by ClubKing Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality tickets and do the job., 31 July 2015
This review is from: Roll Tickets, Admission (Misc.)
We used these tickets at our school PTA Summer Fair to make it easier to pay for attractions and manage cash.

The idea worked brilliantly and the "admission" tickets were perfect for the job. We had to rip them off very quickly to serve the mass of people and, while there were the odd ripped ticket, for the most part they tore off at the perforation easily.

1989
1989

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album from a genuine talent, 31 July 2015
This review is from: 1989 (Audio CD)
This is my first Taylor Swift album. Obviously I'd heard some of her songs (who hasn't?) but I suppose in the past I've just been a bit predjudiced that it's probably going to be "too young" for me. But recently I took the plunge.

And - Wow - I'm glad I did. It's good enough that it prompted me to get two more of her back catalog, Red and Fearless. I've been working away the past couple of days and had these 3 albums on in the car. I have become a "Swiftie".

The other albums have some great tracks too - but of these three, 1989 is definitely the best. You feel a lot more of her country roots in the other 2, but personally I found this album to be a lot more creative, mature, and contemporary. The lyrics are smart and catchy, and somehow just great fun to (attempt to) sing (if you're a bloke, you just might want to turn it down a notch at the traffic lights...).

It's easy to see why this young talent is already the 6th best selling solo female artist of all time, and undoubtedly with plenty more to come.

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (PS4)
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could so easily have been better., 20 July 2015
So finally, the EA PGA Tour franchise hits the next-gen.

The quick "TL;DR" review:
Great graphics and atmosphere mean it's still fun to get out onto the course - but the game really lets itself down with some pretty basic omissions.

The longer review:
As you would (and should) expect from next gen, the game is pretty decent graphically - the water effects are good, the wind effects on foliage and flags look great, and as you play at different times of day you really get an effective ambience of morning or afternoon. The environment is adorned with decent 3D individual crowds (rather than the cardboard cutouts), and even the odd bit of wildlife. Certain objects pop in and out of cutscenes in a simply distracting manner, which totally spoils the effect of realism that they were looking for. Though it doesn't cause any gameplay problem, I do hope they can patch that. The courses generally look brilliant, and the fictional courses are both scenic and challenging.

Gameplay
You have the option to choose between three preset swing modes, as well as to customise the usual difficulty/assistance options. When using the easy swing mode, the game is TOO easy. You seem to start with high abilities (like in-the-air spin etc) which makes getting to the flag a doddle. Putting, however, is still a pretty decent challenge even with the putt assistance on (which shows what a successful putt ball looks like, and less easy to emulate than you'd think). I'm now using the more advanced swing modes, a custom one in fact, which makes the game far more difficult. I really miss the action replay though, particularly when you want to see just how close you got to putting or chipping in. Also, it might just be me but the putts seem to either go straight in or miss completely - I never seem to have it roll around the rim, and topple in or just pop out - and that lack of feeling of it being a "close call" is a real loss. There are other minor in-game frustrations, such as when you're hitting the ball out of bounds, and the camera won't leave your player's face. Bearing in mind you'll have to take the shot again, it would have been handy to see just where your ball came down so you can learn from it...
There's nothing new about the "repetitive pundits" complaint but it's a shame they can't avoid some of those more "unique" soundbites that stand out like a sore thumb when overly used (like "it's like kissing your mother-in-law"). Generic comments like "looks like it's approaching the sand" are easier to forgive.

Extras, modes, and customisation
Where I feel the game lets us down most is the "package" - what they've done is to cut out a lot of the "added value" things to concentrate on core gameplay, but I think the game has needlessly suffered as a result. Gone are all the player customisation options - you get pretty minimal options to make your player's face, and you can't customise (or switch off) celebrations/tantrums (and many of them, like "the robot", are annoying as hell). Gone are most of the pros you were able to choose previously, and all the LPGA pros. Gone are Country Clubs. And it's only fair to say that there are less courses provided (so I suppose we watch out for DLCs).

Also gone are all the various gameplay types like Fourballs, Greensomes, Skins, Speed Golf and Bingo Bango Bongo. There is just Strokeplay and Matchplay to choose from. Interestingly, I notice that on the option screen where you choose, both Strokeplay and Matchplay options take up only the left hand side of the screen - the right half is empty, and it looks like there should be two more gameplay types there. Is it a bug, or do they plan to release other game modes with DLC? Put it this way, I hope it will be available soon and doesn't cost extra. The game is also really missing a Practice area; a driving range (which seems to be there during swing tutorial but no way to use later) would be really useful for mastering the harder swing modes - and a putting green would have been welcomed by all, as it's the one part that's pretty challenging.

The "Nightclub" mode is a fun extra; this is basically a campaign of minigames played on a nighttime, neon-lit version of a few of the courses. It's like golf on acid. Your game here is arcadey, and supplemented by "boost" effects, like an inflight power injection, remote control or sticky landing. It's a "three star" scoring system on each game, not dis-similar to many mobile app games. Like the main game, the minigames are far too easy while using easy swing mode; I can't fathom why they don't better reward use of advanced swing styles, i.e. reserve a star for it.

In contrast to the Tiger games where you replayed some key historic moments as "young Tiger", Rory's contribution comes in the form of a few video interviews during the "tutorial/prologue". He's a nice enough lad I'm sure but his video presence is not his strong point. I hope in any sequels (if he remains involved) EA think of a more inventive way to use his endorsement...

In all, it's still pretty good to get on the course, as long as you are self-challenging enough to raise the difficulty. But I think they could easily have made this much better with just a few simple features - and nothing that they haven't implemented in the past. Many are saying the game is a huge step backwards, and it's hard to disagree... not from a technical point of view, but from the more simple decisions EA have made with regard to what went in and what didn't make the cut.

2 x BINATONE Radio Earpiece (G-Shape Headset with PTT Microphone, 2.5mm Jack) THE-SECURITY-STORE
Offered by THE-SECURITY-STORE

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy addition to your walkie talkies, 11 July 2015
I don't know if it's the earpiece at fault or the radio (Binatone Action 1100) but as soon as you plug in and use earpieces, the volume is way too loud. If you turn the volume right down to the minimum (without switching off!) then it's acceptable, but surely it would have been better to have a reduction in place. Anything above minimum volume is deafening.

Otherwise they're very good. They fit the ear well and reasonably comfortably, and the clarity is good. It's definitely a great way to operate the radios when there's a lot of ambient noise, and also for being able to keep hands free.

Dunlop Comp Squash Balls - 3 Ball Box
Dunlop Comp Squash Balls - 3 Ball Box
Offered by Millet Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a ball makes!, 11 July 2015
One would be forgiven for thinking all balls are equal within their classification - i.e. all yellow dots behave the same regardless of the brand, all double yellow the same, etc.

We'd been using a different brand but still of the single yellow dot. I have to say that on switching to this ball yesterday evening, it completely changed the dynamic of the game - and for the better. You can actually perceive better performance from the ball - better bounce, better traction and more control. We ran each other around the court even more than usual, yet felt like every point was earned through skill rather than given away through mistakes.

We'll be sticking with these from now on.

Dunlop 12x yellow
Dunlop 12x yellow
Offered by premiumsport24

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a ball makes!, 9 July 2015

We'll be sticking with these from now on.

Karakal PU Supergrip replacement racquet grip - tennis / badminton / squash - Various Single Colours (multi-black/white, 2 Grips)
Offered by notonlybowls

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grips throughout your match, 3 July 2015
These grips are brilliant and they stay nice and tacky - even throughout a sweaty game of squash in the height of summer! So I think they deserve their reputation as the best grips on the market.

They arrived with easy instructions to fit - I think that's probably credit to the supplier rather than the product, so if yours do not, simply check out YouTube for "karakal pu super grip" for plenty of great step-by-step video guides.

The only thing I would say is, in future I probably won't bother with getting the "marbelled effect" design. I knew this was going to be a unique and variable effect, but the one I received had such pathetic marbelling it just looks like a colour fault (see photo).

But that's just a cosmetic thing and doesn't detract from the quality of the grip.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Vacu Vin Coffee and Tea Storage Container with Vacuum Pump - Medium, 1.30 Litre, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep your beans fresh till you need them!, 3 July 2015
There's an age old debate over whether you should put coffee beans in the fridge or even the freezer. I think whichever side of the fence you stand, most agree that of vital importance is keeping them airtight. I only even fill my bean-to-cup coffee machine half full, because otherwise by the time the hopper is empty, you can taste a noticable difference in the freshness.

This container is brilliant. You put the beans in the jug, put on the lid, seat the (included) pump over the little valve and pump out the air. You do around 5 pumps if full, and around 11 if half full. The lid is effectively stuck on by the vacuum. When you want to get at your beans, you just push the valve to depressurise and pop off the lid.

After two weeks, I can confirm that the lid is still securely "stuck" on - giving me total confidence that the container is 100% airtight. Marvellous!

EC Technology® 7-color Backlit Bluetooth Keyboard Ultra-Slim Zinc Alloy Wireless Keyboard with Built-in 800mAh Li-polymer Rechargeable Battery for iOS (iPad Air 2 / Air, iPad mini 3 / mini 2 / mini, iPad 4 / 3 / 2), Windows and Android 3.0 and above OS
Offered by EC Technology UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mobile keyboard, 1 Jun. 2015
I've had this keyboard for a month and so far really happy with it - in fact the only problem I have is deciding which of my devices I want to use it for! So far, I've paired it without any problems with my Macbook Pro, iPhone5, Surface Pro 3, Samsung TV, and PS4 (the PS4 being what I intended it for).

It's small, thin, and light enough to be perfect for mobile/occasional use, much preferable to using iPad or iPhone's on-screen keyboard, for example. And for Surface Pro, it's a MUCH cheaper alternative to the Type Cover (and of course doesn't need to be attached).

The keyboard itself looks high quality, with a lovely brushed metal effect and robust keys. The backlight works well and gives a real cool effect, as well as being practical in low-light environment.

Admittedly, I need to use it for longer periods yet before I can testify to long term reliability but so far, so good (I'll amend the review if anything changes in the coming weeks and months)

Tracker (Deluxe)
Tracker (Deluxe)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Knopfler at his best, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tracker (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
I'm a long time Dire Straits fan, but apart from some of his soundtrack work I hadn't really followed Knopfler's solo albums. I bought this largely on the strength of "Beryl", a catchy, lively song, and possibly also why you are here.

The rest of the album is diverse but equally excellent. There's little point me repeating what other reviews have already said in detail, and in any case you are likely to (and should) listen to the preview of the MP3 album. Everyone seems to have different favourites, and many choose to liken each track to some of his well known previous work, but personally I think this work is completely deserving of its own identity. So I'll just say that I'm loving the album: I too have my favourites ("Terminal of Tribute To" is one of the most brilliant tracks I've ever heard).

The whole album is a hit in my book, and shows Mark Knopfler is still totally capable of writing (and playing) some absolute masterpieces.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10