Profile for Jam > Reviews

Content by Jam

Jam "jam_butty"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Targus AWE55EU Laptop Cooling Pad 2 fans laptop cooler fits 15"-17"
Targus AWE55EU Laptop Cooling Pad 2 fans laptop cooler fits 15"-17"

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and worth every penny, 7 Aug 2013
I've had this lap mat for 18 months now, and it's every bit as good now as when I first received it. I use it on my 15inch Macbook Pro and it's a godsend.

It's comfortable, with a soft padded neoprene underside, and durable. It's a triangular prism shape which means there's airflow between the face in contact with your laptop and the one in contact with your legs (or the table), so no heat exchange.

In addition, you can optionally plug the mat into a spare USB port to power the small fans that blow cold air on the underside of your laptop; this is not to keep your legs cool, but the laptop. It's not always necessary, but I do feel it's advantageous when putting the laptop under heavy workload. The fans are virtually silent - certainly no more noisy than the internal CPU fans.

For those times you don't want to plug in, it would be good if there was some way of securing (or retracting) the little USB lead - even a clip - but there's nothing, and it just ends up hanging. But it's a minor bug to an otherwise brilliant device.

Quiksilver Alava 21 BS Men's Shorts Quik Red W32 IN
Quiksilver Alava 21 BS Men's Shorts Quik Red W32 IN

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 31 July 2013
Normally there's not much to review for clothing - you either like the style or you don't. But one thing you can't "get a feel for" online is the... well, feel.

So I can say that as well as the stylish look and bold colours, these shorts also have a very lovely soft feel to them, like suede.

And, while you're lovingly stroking them, you can feel proud that you're wearing ecologically friendly recycled polyester. What's not to like?

Dynamode 3.5 inch SATA and IDE Slim Line Storage Disk Caddie
Dynamode 3.5 inch SATA and IDE Slim Line Storage Disk Caddie

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for SATA - not so much for IDE, 20 May 2013
I got this because I have one IDE drive and one SATA drive, and thought "hey, here's an enclosure that ticks both boxes!" Right? Well, not quite.

As a SATA enclosure, it's fine - if a little bit snug. The two SATA cables (data and power), with a bit of manipulation, just about squeeze into the bit of space between the hard drive, the circuitry, and the jack end of the caddie. If you're expecting to swap drives in and out of the caddie regularly, then I couldn't really recommend it.

But with IDE, the (standard) 4-pin power jack protrudes too far out of the back of the drive (by a mere couple of millimetres), and is thus inhibited by the circuit board of the enclosure. There is no getting around it. So when I have the IDE drive in there, it doesn't seat into the caddie properly and I can't put the casing on. They should have made the PCB slightly narrower, or the enclosure slightly longer.

I can still use it - but it's a definite flaw, and having looked (alas in hindsight) I see others had similar issues. Had this been advertised as a SATA enclosure alone, it would have scored higher.

The USB cable provided is also very short - but maybe that's to be expected.

4x Protective Neoprene Lens Pouch for Canon Nikon Sony Lenses S+M+L+XL Black DC005S
Offered by XCSOURCE

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy additional bit of protection, 8 April 2013
These are decent pouches to give your lenses that extra bit of protection from dust etc. If, like me, you have a decent bag, you might find the pouches a bit overkill. The neoprene gives it a classy finish while adding the spongy protection from minor shocks, but they won't do much on their own against bumps and are not to be considered an alternative to a good padded bag with dividers.

Also, the "water-resistant" nature of neoprene will not stop water from getting in altogether - if you get them wet, after a while it will eventually soak through to the inside (I've tested this by simulating a splash). I was satisfied that it protected the contents from the initial body of water, but be warned that if they got wet with lenses inside, you would not want to leave them in there for too long...

For less than a tenner, it's a worthwhile investment to protect your gear.

Dropped a star because the stitching finish (on the inside of the pouch where you can't see it) is loose and slightly shabby - and this is on all four of the pouches so seems to be a fault of the manufacturing process. If the loose threads were pulled (for example caught on a lens), it will undo the seam.

Carrying Case for Bose AE2, AE2i, AE2w and SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones
Carrying Case for Bose AE2, AE2i, AE2w and SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones
Offered by HeadphoneMate UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Vital purchase, 8 April 2013
I think when you're spending around £150 on a pair of headphones, it's important to look after them. The drawstring bag you get with the AE2/AE2i's don't really do enough here. You're probably looking at this product because you know this already.

If I'm honest, I think £20 is a bit steep. If these are made in a low-cost country for pennies, these guys will be making a killing.

Having said that, it's good, sturdy quality, and will certainly protect your cans. Be warned - the case is not "hard" as such (solid like plastic, for example) - it feels more like a toughened card-like material that gives a little when squeezed (can't say for sure because it's lined inside and out.) Let's just say I wouldn't want to sit on it, but for day-to-day bumps as you're walking around, it will do the trick. The lining is decent and the waterproof zip feels durable if a little stiff.

Also, you get some additional extras, including detachable shoulder and hand straps and karabiner, and detachable interior "pouch" things to put the adaptors in. Like other reviewers I didn't really buy this for the adaptors, but I do find the pouches handy for putting things like my headphone amplifier in.

All in all, though it's a bit pricey, you can't afford not to have this.

Bose ® AE2i Audio Headphones - White
Bose ® AE2i Audio Headphones - White

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality in both build and sound, but agree there's little bass, 8 April 2013
I deliberated and researched for a long, long time before making this purchase. I really struggled to decide whether to go with the active noise-cancelling types, or a pair of these.

I am completely happy with my choice.

The headphones are incredibly comfortable. They sit snugly over the ear, without pressing too hard or causing any discomfort. The earpieces swivel on the axis flexibly. The snug fit means that, while they're not "noise cancelling", they certainly insulate well against any outside noise.

They are also incredibly light. I have no problem wearing these for prolonged periods of time, whether sitting or walking. One thing some people fed back about noise-cancelling types was the weight of the headset (as a result of the additional circuitry and batteries) can become uncomfortable after longer periods of use. No such issues with these.

The sound is crisp and well defined. Some negative feedback I read about these before buying was the "lack of bass compared to competing brands". Well, I have to agree that is definitely the case. That being said, I think I'm getting the best of both worlds - I get the crisp clarity afforded by the headphones themselves, and yet they handle the bass I push to them perfectly well. And make no mistake, I do like bass - but in the right amounts. Hence I do use a McKinley headphone amp in-line with these (because the iPod/iPhone can be a little weak), and the two make a great team.

Two things to note: firstly the difference between these "AE2i" and the standard "AE2" is simply the in-line controller and mic - which means you can use your phone and control the volume (where supported by your device). I've used it to take a call on my iPhone and it works great (although I sound strange to myself!). I basically have to decide whether I want that functionality, or the amplifier, since the model amp I have doesn't have the additional line to support that function. If you know you won't need this feature, you may as well get the AE2 and save a bit of money.

Secondly, the drawstring bag offers little protection, so you might want to invest in a hardcase (make sure you choose one that fits though).

In all, for the price, these are bang on the money.

Velcro Stick Cable Ties, 180 x 20mm,10 pack / 5 Colours
Velcro Stick Cable Ties, 180 x 20mm,10 pack / 5 Colours
Offered by CPO Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and effective, 18 Mar 2013
The velcro straps are cheap, cheerful, and perfectly adequate for most jobs. For the price, you can't grumble.

The product photo shows a nice rounded finish. In reality, they're a lot more basic.

There are better ones out there for those use-cases where you need regular fixing and unfixing (you can get straps with looped ends, and full length adhesion). For strapping your TV, computer, power cables and suchlike (where you tend to leave them alone once strapped), these are fine.

1.8m - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable by Neet® - ( VIDEO Adapter lead for Apple iMac- Unibody MacBook - Pro - Air & PC with Mini DP etc. )**Supports Audio**
Offered by Neet Cables

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but connection loose, 28 Feb 2013
This cable does work connecting my "Early 2011" Macbook Pro to my Samsung LCD TV. With a bit of trial and error with the system preferences on the MBP, I also got sound working through the TV.

The only issue I have is that there's a tiniest of faults somewhere either within the cable or more likely one of the jack plugs; the slightest of physical movement of the cable and you get a screen judder, typical of a loose connection.

The fault doesn't manifest itself as long as the cable isn't moved so it doesn't spoil the enjoyment of a program once your settled, but that's the reason for dropped stars.

Belkin Cat5e Snagless UTP Patch Cable (Black) 30m
Belkin Cat5e Snagless UTP Patch Cable (Black) 30m

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for ad-hoc home cabling, 28 Feb 2013
I bought this to run the length between my home broadband router and my daughter's smart TV - being a little too busy (and OK, maybe lazy) to go to the effort of doing real CAT5 cabling with wallboxes and using short patch leads. The cable is good quality, and the snag-less moulded ends are good; although it means a slightly larger hole is needed to push it through walls/ceilings etc (I've gone through the loft).
Only 4 stars simply because it's a bit pricey compared to others available without the snagless plugs.

Bear in mind that this is UTP, which means it is Unshielded (Twisted Pair) - so if you're using it for similar purposes as I am, avoid running alongside too much power cables or you do risk getting "interference" (this can cause connection dropouts or speed reduction). To avoid this, look for shielded cable at slightly higher price per metre.

Nike Men's Coolmax V-Neck Sweat - Obsidian, Large
Nike Men's Coolmax V-Neck Sweat - Obsidian, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect golf sweater, 28 Feb 2013
I bought this as a Christmas gift - and then decided to keep it for myself. It has a pleasant soft feel, good stitching, and an unobtrusive Nike logo, stitched in the same colour. It's thin and light enough to go in the golf bag, doesn't crease to easily, and so ready for when you need the extra layer on the course; while also being smart enough for the clubhouse.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6