Profile for Magiciansgirl > Reviews

Don't Tell the Boss
Don't Tell the Boss
Price: 1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A likeable sequel to Don't Tell the Groom, 25 July 2014
I was given the first in this series by the publisher, and enjoyed it, so bought this second one. Anna Bell has a fabulously readable style and her plots are nicely original. I'm only not giving this five stars because I think a stitch was dropped in the plot, which I can't reveal without the comment being a 'spoiler' but I'm a picky reader and it really won't affect anyone's enjoyment.

fest
fest
Price: 2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A sharply observed whodunnit, 25 July 2014
This review is from: fest (Kindle Edition)
Anyone who's ever been to a literary festival - as either participant or audience - will laugh ruefully at the sharply observed setting to this hugely enjoyable whodunnit. The largely affectionate satirical element enhances the investigation that crime novelist Francis Meadowes conducts into the murder of a controversial literary critic. Satisfying twists and turns and a great cast of characters. I read it in three hours flat, and wild horses wouldn't have dragged me away from it. Hoping very much this is the start of a series.

Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 18 May 2014
She's a good mother, extremely talented, clearly very nice too; down to earth and not all that interested in fame. I liked the book and I like her.

Mother's Milk (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 4)
Mother's Milk (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 18 May 2014
As usual, Edward St. Aubyn makes the reader wince in recognition. Totally assured prose, wonderful insights into old age, childbirth and the whole shebang. This writer sums up so completely what we all go through. Human condition etc.

At Last (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 5)
At Last (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 5)
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure how many superlatives I can come up with..., 18 May 2014
I am writing all my reviews of the Patrick Melrose novels at once, given that I read them all last week on holiday. Sublime, marvellous, regret I didn't come to them earlier, except that IF I had, there'd be a tense wait for the next instalment.

Bad News (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 2)
Bad News (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 2)
Price: 1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 18 May 2014
I am lost in amazement at the prodigious cleverness of Edward St. Aubyn. Transforming a difficult life into fiction is alchemy. And he is the best magician I've ever read.

Some Hope (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 3)
Some Hope (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars So wonderful, words fail me..., 18 May 2014
If this writer isn't awarded the Booker at some point, there is no justice. Edward St. Aubyn has the talent of Antony Powell and Martin Amis combined.

Basil Street Blues and Mosaic
Basil Street Blues and Mosaic
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 18 May 2014
Michael Holroyd turns to his own family history. Utterly fascinating, and written in the most humane and humble way. I loved it.

Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead (TEXT ONLY)
Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead (TEXT ONLY)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So fascinating and revealing, 18 May 2014
Doh, I had no idea that one of my favourite novels, Brideshead Revisited, was partly based on a real family; and here is the explanation. Deliciously presented, Paula Byrne has a lovely writing style, effortlessly moving between the personal stories of the Lygon family and Evelyn Waugh's.

I cannot recommend this clever book highly enough.

Never Mind (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 1)
Never Mind (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 1)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended these novels to everyone you know, 16 May 2014
Just read all of the Patrick Melrose Novels in one gulp on holiday.

They are stunningly good. For lovers of Anthony Powell, Evelyn Waugh, here is an author who is writing at the top of his game, and living.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3