Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "ddawson_it" (UK)

Saladin: Hero of Islam
Saladin: Hero of Islam
by Geoffrey Hindley
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A history lesson for all would be politicians, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Saladin: Hero of Islam (Paperback)
I first became aware of Salahoudin whilst at school. Suffering from an extraordinary child IQ, teachers would give me books to read to stop me asking questions on subjects they had difficulty explaining in simple terms. At the age of 13 I suffered from a severe stutter for which I was mercilessly ribbed. To help me, my favourite English teacher used to stay behind after school and make me read (out loud) from various books. He then asked me to give a verbal synopsis to him on my views whilst standing at the front of an empty classroom - whilst he sat at the back marking papers etc!!! Although I cannot remember the title, one of my favourite books was about the Crusades - hence my first introduction.

Even then, I saw Saladin as a great leader of men - in thought, word and deed. This book rekindled my interest in the era and the author paints a simple, elegant framework of a hero - not just of Islam but of leadership. I genuinely believe that if a man like this existed 75 years ago, the region would not be in the turmoil it is today.

This is an excellent book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - just the thing .... but be careful, 16 Mar 2011
As usual for Amazon shops, excellent delivery time and well packaged. The unit performs really well, even on the lower power settings (we rarely use it on full) especially as we only have 1.1 bar available.

Being reasonable at DIY, I found the instructions to be good, with the templates accurate, and was not daunted by the potential difficulties someone with less experience might face.

The only issue is as follows: if you are replacing an older power shower (like I was) I had a couple of problems as I was going to use the rear entry panel. Therefore, I had to cut the metal pipework, and fit flexible hoses with plastic push fit at the shower end.
As this shower uses plastic push fit, you will have to cut a larger hole to accommodate the larger plastic fittings ... therefore I had to increase the hole size from 7cm to 10cm.

Apart from that having to go to Screwfix for a larger hole cutter and then cutting the hole - I fitted the whole thing in under an hour!!

Vivomounts Adjustable Wall Bracket For Large Plasma And LCD Screens For 36" - 55" Wide Screens With Tilt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy product but .........., 2 Jan 2011
I bought this product as I have used them previously. The added advantage of this one is that it had a spirit level built in ..... unfortunately the level was not accurate and I had to move the bracket from the optimum point on the wall (as I had already drilled the holes).

The other issue I have is that the screws to hold the uprights to the back of my Samsung are 5mm too long. After scouring B&Q and Screwfix, I finally found some at a local (old fashioned) hardware store.

Samsung PS50C450 50-inch Widescreen HD Ready 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite delivering ....., 2 Jan 2011
Amazon delivery was excellent - arrived within 3 days of ordering even during Xmas holidays.

The set itself is good, although you do have to be carefull where it is positioned as the reflections are very noticable. (same with most plasma screens) Also the screen is very dark and blacks tend to filter into other colors - use the dynamic setting as this is much better.

My biggest issue is with the one metre power cable - how stupid. I have this screen on the wall and the power cable does not even reach the floor. Therefore I have had to go and buy a longer lead - what are Samsung thinking!!

New York City
New York City
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding, 17 Feb 2007
This review is from: New York City (Audio CD)
It is very rare to hear an album these days without thinking .... if only that track had not been included .... why put that song on this kind of album ... etc etc. This album has it all .... beautifully performed with a quiet passion and endlessly "listenable" .... another collaboration please!