Profile for Bahama Joe > Reviews

Monsters, Inc. [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Monsters, Inc. [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Pete Docter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film and there will be sequels too, 31 Dec. 2012
What can you say that has not already been said about a Pixar studio era film? I loved this blu ray version and might get the 3D version too if it becomes more affordable. Kids and adults alike love this film and it has become an obligatory staple in anyone's household. If you already have the DVD and are quite satisfied with it , don't worry. There will be sequels of Monsters coming to a theater near you very soon.

Moonrise Kingdom [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Moonrise Kingdom [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable movie and witty screenplay, 31 Dec. 2012
This is an enjoyable movie about two quirky adolescents and a town of emotionally checked out parents. Loved the witty dialogue between the two teenagers and their time on the run. The movie drags a little towards the end and becomes more conventional which is the only reason I did not give it five stars. This movie made me want to check out other Wes Anderson directed films.

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] [1942] [Region Free]
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] [1942] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ James Stewart
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A value priced addition to my Hitchcock collection, 31 Dec. 2012
I think one has to consider the price relative to the value of this collection. A Criterion quality re-mastered transfer to blu ray it is not but it does provide a quite serviceable blu ray transfer on most of the Hitchcock hollywood era titles and so much more affordable too. I bought this collection through amazon uk for US$87 when it was being sold on amazon US for over US$200. Ok, I had to wait three weeks for it to arrive to my US home by way of Royal Mail and USPS but patience has its virtues and I am very pleased overall with this purchase. To round out your Hitchcock collection you may want to purchase separately North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) and of course "The 39 Steps" and "The Lady Vanishes". I already had the Criterion names so I was able to complete my collection with this purchase.

Sunrise (Dual Format Blu-ray+DVD) [Masters of Cinema] [1927]
Sunrise (Dual Format Blu-ray+DVD) [Masters of Cinema] [1927]
Dvd ~ George O'Brien
Offered by bestmediagroup

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent Screen Masterpiece, 31 Dec. 2012
I was not sure I would enjoy this film as I am more wedded to the talkies. I was particularly impressed with the opening scene camera work and cityscape photography perhaps because I enjoy the German expressionist point of view in film. These scenes really pop on blu ray considering the age of the film source. Most of the movie though was a morality play set on a farm and rural town. The acting was great. "The actors had faces" and used them well . My experience with this purchase only encourages me to see more of F.W Murnau's work.