Profile for Just My Opinion > Reviews

Content by Just My Opinion

Just My Opinion

Page: 1 | 2
Mozart: Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute) [Brindly Sherratt; Maximilliam Schmitt; Nina Lejderman; Netherlands Chamber Orchestra; Chorus of Dutch Natonal Opera] [OPUS ARTE: DVD] [2015] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Simon McBurney

2.0 out of 5 stars ... every Magic Flute DVD and this by far the worst one I have ever seen, 19 Oct. 2015
I have almost every Magic Flute DVD and this by far the worst one I have ever seen. My idea of a perfect opera is to see an elaborate set, beautiful costumes and reasonably good looking singers. This opera had non of that. Ugly set, ugly costumes and very ordinary looking singers. Have the opera community really run out of ideas to put on a classical opera.

Die Zauberflöte: Salzburg Festival (Harnoncourt) [DVD] [2014]
Die Zauberflöte: Salzburg Festival (Harnoncourt) [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Mozart

5.0 out of 5 stars I am always happy to see a new one, 25 July 2014
Since I have over 40 versions of The Magic Flute, I am always happy to see a new one. I enjoyed this version. It kept enough of the classical performance and yet introduced a number of new variations to make it interesting. I was happy to see that they used boys for the three boys [even if they dressed them as old men :-) ] This also an opera performed out of doors, so I can it to my listmania: Operas staged out of doors. This is perhaps not the "Best" version of Die Zauberflote, but it well worth watching.

Die kleine Zauberflöte (DVD)
Die kleine Zauberflöte (DVD)
Offered by zoreno-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much Magic Flute, 22 Jan. 2014
I now have over 45 versions of the Magic Flute, so I ordered this child's version just to have a more complete collection. First of all it says it is Region 0, but it would not play in my Region 1 player. It did, however, play on my Region Free player. It is in German as advertised and which I do not speak, but I could follow along from the visuals. It kind of followed the Magic Flute story but very much. It introduced other actions that were not part of the Magic Flute story. There was not much music from the opera and there was other music that didn't relate to the basic story. It was made in 1997 as it said in the credits.

It would be interesting to know how a German child reacted to this cartoon version.

Mozart: Die Zauberflöte, K620 Berliner Philharmoniker: BPH130011 DVD
Mozart: Die Zauberflöte, K620 Berliner Philharmoniker: BPH130011 DVD
Dvd ~ BRESLIK PAVOL (tenore)
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Where is the magic!, 17 Jan. 2014
This opera is well sung with lots of energy. But as it is performed in modern dress there is not much magic in the performance. When the ensemble of the members of the temple remove their cloaks, the group includes the three ladies of the Queen of the Night. What are they doing in the temple? When Sarasto rescues Pamina from mother, mother is helping in the rescue.

After reading the bonus material that interviewed the conductor and others, the reason for the above made sense. It's all an elaborate initiation of the young people into adult life.

At least they use boys for the three boys, who change clothing each time they appear. Why did they wear dresses when they comfort Pamina?

This is an interesting addition to my Magic Flute collection, but not one I would recommend to those searching for magic in The Magic Flute.

Mozart: Die Zauberflote [Bregenz 2013 Pountney] [Alfred Reiter, Norman Reinhardt, Ana Durlovski] [C Major: 713804] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Alfred Reiter

5.0 out of 5 stars Visual delight, 15 Jan. 2014
As a collector of Magic Flute DVD/Blu-ray operas (I now have 34), this has to be one of the best. I don't feel qualified to evaluate the singing, but for its fantastic set and costumes, I'd have to give this 6 stars out of 5. I also liked this being set out on the water. However, there were two problems for me. (So I took off a star.) With such elaborate costumes, how could they come up with such a dorky costume for Papageno. Everyone else is in an over-the-top costume, but Papageno is in a yellow hoodie and a green baseball hat. When he entered, he had a weird contraption on his head that he took off and never wore again. They could have done so much with feathers in his costume to make him look like a bird man, as so many other versions have done.

The other problem I had was the three "boys". It annoys me that they use women for these roles, although I have seen several versions with actual boys playing the parts. There are lots of trained young male voices who could do the parts - the Vienna Boys Choir seems to have no problem finding suitable voices. Also, the costumes of the "boys" had elaborate brassieres, hardly suitable attire for "boys".
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2016 9:19 PM BST

Magic Flute [DVD]
Magic Flute [DVD]
Dvd ~ Junge Bundeslander
Offered by Haushøj Videostore

3.0 out of 5 stars A St. Margarethen 1999 version, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Magic Flute [DVD] (DVD)
I am a collector of Magic Flute operas. There was very little information on the DVD listed by Amazon.co.uk.
It was filmed at St. Margarethen 19999. It is only 1:28 minutes. I gather it is a children's version. There are no subtitles. The menu is in six languages but the content is all in German without subtitles. It is similar to Die Zauberflöte-Märchenoper für Kinder produced in 2006 also at St. Margarethen.
There are also strange popping and clicking noises in the sound.
It is region 0.
For a used copy for £1.03 it was still worth it.

Tchaikovsky [DVD] [2007] [US Import]
Tchaikovsky [DVD] [2007] [US Import]
Offered by M and N Media US

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, 12 Aug. 2012
I found this documentary an excellent combination of narration and musical performance. It was interesting and informative. I realize that there are unanswered questions about Tchaikovsky's life but a biography can only give at most a snapshot of the individual. The information about his sexuality was helpful in understanding his music.

Mozart: Die Zauberflöte - Sternstunden der Oper
Mozart: Die Zauberflöte - Sternstunden der Oper
Dvd ~ Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Offered by zoreno-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars New Cover, 9 Jun. 2012
I think that this is one of the most interesting interpretations of The Magic Flute I've seen. Unfortunately, I've seen it before. I have a large collections of The Magic Flute, over 28 different versions, so I checked my list to see if I had this version before I ordered this version. But when I watched this version, I find that I have the same opera already but with a different cover. It would be helpful if the date of the performance was given in the product details. Instead the date of DVD production is given. So, if a new cover is used then, then the new date is the one given. Also, there was no indication in the product details or in the picture of where the opera was performed. The information on the cover of this version is entirely in German (but it does have English subtitles). It would be helpful if Amazon insisted on complete product details being given.

The Queen of the Night is quite spectacular, arising out of a huge blue fabric in the first act, but she seems rather tame looking in just her normal queenly garments in the second act. I did love the costume and the look of Papageno. It is how I imagine how he should look -- an innocent pixie-like character. I find his baritone voice disconcerting. I think it should be a high tenor, but that was Mozart's choice. Tamino's costume makes him look like a prince and Sarastro is very imposing in his costume. Over all the sets were very appropriate. I have a fantasy of being able to choose the best sets from one version and individual characters from other versions and put them all together into the "perfect" opera.

Mozart: Die Zauberflote (Opus Arte: OABD7099D) [Blu-ray] [2012] [2010] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Günther Groissböck

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Different" Take on a classic, 12 May 2012
If I was recommending a version for a first-time viewer, this would not be the one I chose. It lacks the costumes and sets that make this opera magical. However, this is my 28th version of the opera that I have on DVD and I enjoyed immensely. It is a unique way of presenting the opera. It is well sung. I liked that the three boys, although female, looked like boys. I'm not sure why they keep using women for the boys. There must be lots of well-trained boys available. The Queen of the Night was dressed very dowdy, not a magical queen at all. Also, they didn't try to disguise Papagena's face as an old woman.

I found it a bit disconcerting that when they were singing of brotherhood of man, they showed two hunters shooting and killing a rhinoceros, hardly a loving thing to do!

This is one of those versions where they have tried everything else, so why not something completely different!

Theorem [1968] [DVD]
Theorem [1968] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Silvana Mangano

1.0 out of 5 stars A non film, 27 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Theorem [1968] [DVD] (DVD)
The is one of the slowest moving films I have ever seen. It's right up there with watching paint dry. Other reviews seem to have great insight into its meaning. I just found it boring. A much more interesting film is "Something for Everyone" staring Michael York who seduces the whole household, but at least there is some action and passion.

Page: 1 | 2