Profile for Joe Callaghan > Reviews

Andrea Pirlo: I think therefore I play
by Andrea Pirlo with Alessandro Alciato
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The ramblings of a misfit., 12 Jun 2014
I enjoyed it, though it's debatable whether or not it's actually an autobiography. You don't really learn an awful lot about Andrea Pirlo as a person, and it's incredibly non-linear, as he plucks snippets of situations from all over his lifetime in no real order. I like his writing style regardless. It's a little over-the-top, like something Eric Cantona would probably write, and some sections read like the memoirs of a tortured artist. I found it interesting just how many clubs he flirted with and nearly signed for, and how his heart often lost the love for particular football clubs, including his boyhood club. The book lacks detail and direction, but it makes up for it by containing swagger, in plentiful proportion.

Deadpool - Volume 1: Dead Presidents (Marvel Now)
Deadpool - Volume 1: Dead Presidents (Marvel Now)
by Brian Posehn
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Wade Wilson at his most ridiculous., 29 Jan 2014
This is my favourite take on Deadpool to date, and this is the strongest of the 3 volumes, for me. Moore's art is much less dreary and dark than previous recent Deadpool incarnations, and the vivid bright colours are more suited to the OTT ridiculousness of the story arcs, and the outlandish violence. It looks excellent from start to finish. I love Daniel Way's Deadpool as it's very well written, but it doesn't *look* as good as this.

The gags and one liners are crammed in at every possible opportunity. Most of Deadpool's dialogue reads like a tacky action-movie catch phrase, repeatedly. I guess that would be something you either love or hate.

There are 100's of straight-faced and darkly structured superhero comics out there, and this isn't one of them. A welcome break from the saturated superhero market. Very light hearted, utterly bonkers, wildly humorous and crudely violent. A good starting point for newcomers as it's a light hearted read, and a must-have for long-time fans, as I believe this is the best Deadpool has been.

It's just a shame Moore didn't continue doing the art for Vol 2 & 3, but that's not a slight on this volume, which is superb.