Profile for Tjlondon > Reviews

Humax RM-I09U Original Remote Control for HDR-2000T Freeview PVR Receiver
Humax RM-I09U Original Remote Control for HDR-2000T Freeview PVR Receiver
Offered by Remote Controls Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 2 July 2016
The one that came with my Humax box lasted only 3 months. Then the FF button failed . Rubbish. I bought the RM-Series as a replacemnt.

Humax YouView Remote Control for DTR-T1000/DTR-1010
Humax YouView Remote Control for DTR-T1000/DTR-1010
Offered by Remote Controls Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 28 Jun. 2016
I got a new Humax DVR box about 4 months ago which came with a Humax remote control. I used it for 3 months and then the Fast Forward button started to play up and got increasingly difficult to register at all. I was finally forced to replace it and decided not to go for another Humax remote but opted instead for the cheaper RM-series replacement.

Humax DTR-T2000 500GB YouView Receiver with HD
Humax DTR-T2000 500GB YouView Receiver with HD

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but somethings not so good., 10 Mar. 2016
Overall it's very simple to set up and very intuitive and the picture quality is great. However, there is one thing I really miss about my old Sagem box. The 'back button' doesn't take you back to a previous channel, this facility is missing entirely on this box. I have gone on-line and some people have said that if you push the 'i' button first followed by the 'back button' that it will go to the previous channel but that hasn't worked for me. I contacted Humax and they confirmed that this facility is not available with the Back button. The scroll back seven days and the On Demand facilities are great and everything works very quickly. It's actually so easy to access, record, playback etc that it's a pleasure to use, but not being able to use the Back button to go back and forth between channels is a huge defect to my mind. The remote control is very nice, stylish, big buttons easy to access. However, I've only had it for 4 months and already I've had to replace it as the fast forward button stopped working. At £32 a pop that's not cheap. The Humax is probably as good as most the other boxes on offer. I originally gave this three stars but I have been using it for a while now and the lack of a Back Button facility to go back and forth between channels is so annoying and irritating to me that I have decided to drop to two stars.

BT Youview+ Set Top Box with Twin HD Freeview and 7 Day Catch Up TV, No Subscription
Offered by IAMTRUFI

2.0 out of 5 stars The remote controller drives me nuts., 10 Feb. 2016
The tv controller will drive you absolutely nuts . Most of the functions volume, mute, scroll up and down, info, left/right and 'back' are all located around a central area of the controller (about an 1.25" X 1.25") and are very small buttons all packed tightly together.. I'm constantly pushing the 'mute' button or the 'back' button by mistake when scrolling, there is no way to relax in this as you have to be on alert every time every time you go into the Guide menu. The TV Guide itself has gigantic logos of the channel names on the left taking up about a quarter of the screen and the rest of the screen shows about an hour and a half of programmes, so you have to scroll right to see a couple of hours ahead. My previous Freeview box ( a Sagem) allowed me to increase or decrease the time spaces of programmes on a page so I could see three or four hours ahead at a glance if necessary. Unfortunately Sagem decided to 'improve' their box and I couldn't read the 'improved' print on their new version so I opted for the BT Youview box (which has a 'zoom' facility to see the print better). Having said that, the 'zoom' button on the remote turns the TV off and the OK button activates the 'Sleep' function. I've got an engineer coming in a few days and I'm hoping there is nothing he can do, so I can send the box back and look for one with a more sensible remote controller and screen menu. There is only one scart socket inlet on the BT box (and a HDMI) so be careful if you have a DVD recorder like I do (that has a scart outlet), it means I have to have a TV with a HDMI port (my old Sagem box had two scart outlets plus HDMI outlets). A pity they changed the old Sagem, it was amazing.

Humans of New York: Stories
Humans of New York: Stories
by Brandon Stanton

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Christmas present., 14 Jan. 2016
I was given this book as a Christmas present. I can't express how good it is, moving, funny, sad, joyous and inspirational.

The Gargoyle
The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite, 26 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Gargoyle (Paperback)
One of my favourite books of all time.

C.K Magma Tool Roll
C.K Magma Tool Roll

5.0 out of 5 stars Good size., 23 Oct. 2015
This review is from: C.K Magma Tool Roll (DIY & Tools)
Excellent tool roll. It's a big roll with plenty of different sized pockets

Ortlieb ULTIMATE6 Classic M Black black Size:14 x 23.5 x 21 cm, 7 Liter
Ortlieb ULTIMATE6 Classic M Black black Size:14 x 23.5 x 21 cm, 7 Liter

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy access on the move., 4 Sept. 2015
Good bag. I found it really useful on a recent cycling trip. Good for small items such a phone, sunglasses, cycling cap, repair kit etc. It is waterproof and the best bit, I found, was the way it opens and closes : it is very easy to take things out or put things in while on the move as the lid shuts with magnetic catches. A quick flip up to open and a quick flip back when the magnets pull it into the fully secure closed position.

Apache Men's Dry Max Moisture Wicking Polo - Black/Grey, Large
Apache Men's Dry Max Moisture Wicking Polo - Black/Grey, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well ., 13 July 2015
Arrived fast. Works really well, Sizing is good. I use them at work and they don't trap moisture. Look good too.

Churchill: A Biography
Churchill: A Biography
by Roy Jenkins

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs a good editor., 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Churchill: A Biography (Paperback)
I've only had this book for a couple of days now, so I might come back later and post a revised review (if I manage to struggle on to the end).The reason I'm reporting so soon is the frustration I am having in even getting to the end of chapter one. I read about a book a week on all subjects from science and non-fiction to biographies and fiction (so it's not that I suffer from a lack of literacy) but this book is driving me crazy. It needs a really good editor to re-edit it completely. The punctuation is awful; commas are missing all over the place, making the meaning of sentences very difficult to take in easily.The author LOVES long, convoluted sentences with loads of clauses and sub-clauses: here is a typical example "A cross-party majority of the House of Commons made asses of themselves by refusing to allow him either to affirm or to take the oath (he was ecumenically willing to do either), despite the fact that he was twice subsequently returned at Northampton bye-elections precipitated by this intolerance, and then compounded rather than mitigated this foolishness by passing a resolution of sympathy and an expunging of these decisions eleven years later when Bradlaugh lay dying". The book is full of this sort of convoluted sentence structure, page after page of gobbledygook.The author also uses obscure or questionable words more often than he ought to: here are a couple of examples; First, on page 1 of the introduction: "He (Churchill) was an immanent presence in my life". Did he mean a god-like presence, or iconic figure or ever-present or ubiquitous presence? I got the gist of what he meant but it impacted mid-sentence and took me away from the flow. A second example Chapter 1 page 6: "...he set a pattern of believing that the least consuegos could do for the family was...", the word 'consuegos', from the context, most likely meant 'in-laws' but once again, I was drawn away from the flow of the book. I'm going to stick with it and see how far I get (I have given up twice already in one day) because I might get used to his style of writing as the book goes on. But I'm not banking on it.
Two days later and I am giving up. I'm still only half way through chapter two. I find myself dreading the thought of having to wade through an impenetrable wall of verbiage to get my money's worth. I love reading and this book was making me hate it. It's going to the charity shop and I'm looking to find a better version.

Page: 1 | 2