Profile for Lulu19 > Reviews

Content by Lulu19

Lulu19 "lulu1919"

The King's Deception (Cotton Malone series Book 8)
The King's Deception (Cotton Malone series Book 8)

1.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned it half way through, 30 Sept. 2013
I very rarely abandon a book that I've paid for, but I'm afraid I did with this one. Eventually I got so frustrated with reading about supposedly English characters in places I know well, who sounded like American tourists on a 10 city coach trip, with minimal knowledge of England, the British language or culture. It felt like it had been written by someone who had only very superficial knowledge of where he was writing about. I don't mind at all reading about an American character in England calling pavements sidewalks, or even if the background description, written by an American author calls it a sidewalk, but when an English character does it sets my teeth on edge. I am using this as an example, and the specific may not have actually happened in this book, but it was a general feeling I got. I apologise to the author for writing a bad review, a thing I have only ever done once before, as I know how much work goes into writing a book. Usually I will just not write a review at all if I don't like it, but in this case I felt I had to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 12:11 PM GMT

HOUSE OF SILENCE
HOUSE OF SILENCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend this book., 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book. The first I've read by this author and I am now buying all the rest. I couldn't put it down and was riveted from the first page.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2013 12:27 PM GMT

Two Brothers
Two Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable., 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Two Brothers (Kindle Edition)
This was a hard book to read but impossible to put down. Possibly because it was written in modern day English language rather than in a German accent, and maybe because like myself the lead characters came from a non religious Jewish family, I totally identified with them and suffered with them on every page. I shall be even more appreciative than usual tonight that my ancestors got out of Germany when they did.

LOVE, LIES AND HIGH HEELS (SPOILED AND SASSY Book 1)
LOVE, LIES AND HIGH HEELS (SPOILED AND SASSY Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I really didn't like this book, 5 Nov. 2012
I very rarely give up on a book before finishing it because I feel I owe it to the author who has spent so long writing it, but I'm afraid I did with this one. All the characters were so infuriating and unbelievable that I couldn't bare it anymore although I persevered for about a quarter of the book to give it a chance.

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 31 Oct. 2012
Thank you Amazon for recommending this book. I couldn't put it down. Hilary Boyd completely captures the experience of falling in love later in life (I know because I'm lucky enough to have done it myself!) The totally unexpected reawakening, the sheer joy of it all. She balanced it with the realities (luckily for me no one had to be left in my case) but managed to write a story that wasn't too sad in the long run for any of the characters which was a relief to an old softie like me. I can't wait to start reading her next book.

Only You (The Angel Ridge Series)
Only You (The Angel Ridge Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need in these troubled times, 1 Dec. 2011
The first book I've read by this author, and I liked it very much. Just what I needed to read when all around the news seems to be bad. This was gentle and sweet and I want to live in Angel Ridge! I had added interest as I used to work for a library computer cataloging company and the problems she described rang true. Not that I know about the actual technical details, but the general storyline seemed about right.
I'm looking forward to reading the next three books in the series but am confused as to why book 3 isn't available on Kindle.
I would highly recommend this if you are like me, an old fashioned romantic who likes a good story.

Understanding A. D. H. D. A Parent's Guide to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children
by Dr Christopher Green

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for anyone who's child is diagnosed with ADHD., 13 July 2010
I have probably now bought at least 10 copies of this book since my child was diagnosed with Attention Defecit Disorder several years ago. I have given them to family members, friends, teachers ... anyone who would come in contact with him and who needed to understand why he behaved the way he did.
The best thing about the book is how positive it is about these special children. It isn't all doom and gloom, but emphasises the good points and is really funny in places. It was a great comfort to me and I have read it through many times. I bought the latest copy last month because I gave my own well thumbed book to a friend who's son was diagnosed. He said it was like a life line to him and showed that diagnosis is not the end of the world.
My son is now 19 and having had a very turbulant adolescence has now come out the other side with a job, a flat of his own and is about to start college. I am so proud of him, but I would have found it much harder to accept the foibles of his condition without this wonderful book.