Profile for J. Whitehead > Reviews

Content by J. Whitehead

J. Whitehead (Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Samsung USB Connector to microUSB for Samsung Galaxy S2 / S3 (ET-R205UBEGSTD)
Samsung USB Connector to microUSB for Samsung Galaxy S2 / S3 (ET-R205UBEGSTD)
Offered by MobySpares
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 8 Dec 2012
I use this in conjunction with a USB dac / headphone amp and it works just great with my galaxy s3. Love it...

iGadgitz Black Leather Pouch Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone
Offered by iGadgitz
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor stitching, 8 Dec 2012
Stitching came apart after 2 days. Repaired it myself and is okay now but not well made - you get what you pay for...

Topping TP30 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier with USB-DAC 15 WPC
Topping TP30 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier with USB-DAC 15 WPC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 8 Dec 2012
I bought this to use as a headphone amp and it performs extremely well. You can use it direct from your PC / Mac via USB and it sounds great, driving my beyer dynamic dt880's very easily. I have also used it connected to my galaxy s3 phone via a USB adaptor cable to get digital out of that - works a treat and again sounds great.

Not tried it with speakers at all and I don't intend to, but as a dac/hp amp it is great.

Invicta 6674 Men's Corduba Swiss Black Rubber Strap Watch
Invicta 6674 Men's Corduba Swiss Black Rubber Strap Watch
Offered by Direct 2U
Price: 179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb watch with one minor drawback, 8 Dec 2012
Ok. Others have I'd how big this watch is, and they are right. It is huge. I love it though!

I looks way better in real life than in the photos - feels great quality, and just looks expensive. I have a lot of watches including tag, and even a breitling Bentley gt day/date - this watch makes the breitling look like a toy.

The only niggle I have with the watch is that, whilst the strap is easy to adjust yourself with some jewellers screwdrivers, there is not enough fine adjustment in it. You can take full links out or put them in - this gives you about 10mm of adjustment either way, but most of my watches have a finer level of adjustment you can do at the clasp - not so with this watch, so I can either have it too loose, or just a little bit too tight - so ultimately it has to be a bit tight as it is way too big and heavy a watch to have dangling around.

Also bear in mind how far out the crown cover sticks - it can dig into the back of your hand if you are not careful..

Having said all of this it is m favourite watch to wear, but I am not sure it would be an every-day watch...

Scarpa Kinesis GTX Mens Walking Boots
Scarpa Kinesis GTX Mens Walking Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best all round walking boot ever, 6 Aug 2012
I bought these boots as I am doing a charity walk up Snowdon later this year. I have owned many liking boots in the past, but none have lasted moe than a year or two, but then none have been this expensive either...

So I had my heart set on a pair of Scarpa boots due to their reputation as the premium mountaineering boot gained from the Scarpa Vega plastic boot. I decided that I didn't need a full on mountain boot that can take a c3 crampon for the kind of walking I will do - I'm not going ice climbing... But these boots will take a c1 crampon for walking on snow or ice - a huge bonus as not many boots in this price range will do that!

I was concerned about the Nubuck finish but this is premium full grain thick leather that had been sanded and brushed to give a pleasant and durable finish - not a cheap thin suede.

So first impressions out of the box were great, wore them around the house for a few hours and decided they were definitely keepers, so took them out to try them for real on a 5k hike in the pyrenees. The active-fit technology Scarpa have built into this boot works a treat - total comfort all the way around - this is something I have never experienced in a new boot before - there has always been a painful 'breaking in' period, but not so with these boots - they just feel great.

The soles give great traction on all surfaces, and the overll quality is outstanding, with nice touches such as them ability to unclip th laces over the bridge of the foot meaning you can get them on and off with ease.

Partner them with a good pair of merino wool socks, treat them regularly with nikwax and they will look after you.

Traditional and simple Sharpening Stone with coarse and fine faces - 8x2x1" - keep your knives sharp and in good condition
Offered by one_stop_shopping
Price: 4.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 May 2012
Ok - so first off this is fairly cheap for a sharpening stone so I didn't expect much. The description says it is course and fine grit - the product label on the actual product that arrives says Course and Medium - a big difference - and also it has to be said I would probably classify the grade as extremely course and very course. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't this - most people would expect fine grit to be somewhere around 5000 or higher - so I was expecting to at least have one side that could be used for reshaping, and on side for polishing, but as it stands I'll have to buy a second stone for actually sharpening after I reshape on this stone...

Bayan Audio 7 Speaker Dock - White
Bayan Audio 7 Speaker Dock - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sounding iPod dock I have heard, 4 April 2012
I spent a long time trying to find a good sounding iPod dock. Usually they either have a really weak bass, or if they have bass, it overpowers the detail and sounds boomy. When I first came across the Bayan 7 I had to do a double take to make sure I heard it right - it sounded awesome in the store, and when I got it home in my lounge it sounded even better.

First of all there are 2 iPod docks - great for me as I always find I get home from work with a flat battery on the iPhone, and my wife (bless her) has her iPod touch charging on the cable in the lounge. Now - risk the wrath of taking hers of charge to get enough juice to last the evening, or have it die on me - a decision I had to make daily.... but no more as now she can charge her iPod touch to her hearts content, leaving a spare dock for me to charge my iPhone when I get in - great!

As for the sound - it delivers everything. Turn it up and it will make the room shake, but turn it down and it looses none of the depth or scale of your music. Vocals are fantastically reproduced with singers sounding like they are standing in front of you. High end goes on and on into oblivion, and the bass is tight, fast, and strong, without any of the hideous boom of other docks.

I don't often rave about things but I am telling all my friends now who want an iPod dock that sounds great - these guys have really done it for me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2014 10:54 PM BST

Philips AquaTouch Plus AT890/20, Wet and Dry Electric Shaver with DualPrecision Shaving and Pop-up Trimmer
Price: 65.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete letdown, 10 Mar 2012
First of all let me say that I am sure that this is a great razor. There is one huge glaring problem with it though.

The power charger is a wall transformer unit that has 2 round pins - not uk mains. Now normally you could just cut the plug off and put your own plug on it but this one is actually moulded into the transformer and cannot be changed.

So next port of call was a European to UK plug adapter, but no this doesn't work either as the round pins are larger than the standard European mains plug, and a touch closer together.

So I have absolutely no way of charging this razor. How on earth so many people have reviewed this and obviously not had this problem I dont know - or maybe amazon sold me an import with the wrong charger, either way this renders the product not fit for purpose as it can't be charged in a normal modern English home.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2012 2:21 PM GMT

Here For The Party
Here For The Party
Offered by davehopetrading
Price: 5.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great tracks, some not so great, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Here For The Party (Audio CD)
I bough this album when I returned to the UK from a trip to Nevada. I'd heard Gretchen's 'redneck woman' track playing in several bars that I'd been in and could not get it out of my head. The first couple of tracks on the album are great and took me back there straight away, but some of the others are a bit less commercial I guess and I didn't really get on with them so well. I still like the album overall but only really bought it for a few tracks that I really like.

Super Legend HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder
Super Legend HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder
Offered by Global Distributor
Price: 11.25

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but you get what you pay for..., 21 Feb 2012
Ok - first of all I bought this through Amazon Market. I only paid about 20 for it so didn't really expect too much. First thing to say - it does work. It comes with it's own LiIon battery (same as old nokia phone type) which is re-charged through the 12V cigar adapter. The mount is solid. It's quite small and sits nicely below the mirror in the car - not obtrusive.

The documentation is next to useless, but some playing got it set up (date and time, resolution, turn sound off, turn night mode on / off). This unit has 3 modes - record video, record still photo and playback on-screen. It writes video to .AVI files, seamlessly back to back (can choose length of the file - 3min, 5 min, 10 min, 15 min etc.

The big let down with this unit is the resolution - it's poor. Whilst video recorded is quite smooth, the actual definition can only be described as blocky. Almost like someone taking QVGA and upscaling it to HD (SXGA) resolution. It's so poor that you can park right behind a car with it and cannot make out the numberplate on the car from the video - so what use it would actually be to try and prove something I don't really know.

It will do me for now but will ultimately be relegated to a rear facing camera and I'll get a better forward facing one when I have some more shekels...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 3:46 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6