Profile for M. Forrest > Reviews

Content by M. Forrest

M. Forrest (Florence, Italy)

Flanders: Northern Belgium: from Brussels and Bruges to breweries, battlefields and bike rides (Bradt Travel Guides (Regional Guides))
by Emma Thomson
Price: 11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars a good guidebook, 30 May 2013
This guidebook is very detailed and helpful for the first time traveler to Flanders. It would be improved by foldout maps of the cities which would be in color but otherwise, the text is great.

Monarch Of The Glen - Complete Series 1-7 Box Set [DVD] [2000]
Monarch Of The Glen - Complete Series 1-7 Box Set [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker
Price: 55.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 22 April 2013
I had never heard of this Series, but it has proven to be absolutely delightful. Sometimes hilariously funny and other times movingly dramatic but always high quality dialog and acting. Excellent acting and script writing. I highly recommend it.

All the Hopeful Lovers
All the Hopeful Lovers
by William Nicholson
Price: 5.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: All the Hopeful Lovers (Paperback)
This is a lovely sequel to the previous book by the same author, The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life, and I recommend that readers start with the first one and then read this sequel because many of the characters are the same. Some of the children have grown up into young adults with their different attitudes and problems so it is like knowing a family and following its members' activities and ups and downs. I thoroughly enjoyed both books. Even though the author deals with common problems of love and life, he does so in a very interesting way. The characters are well drawn. The things that happen to them are believable. It could be you or me. In a way this is comforting. He also has created some real "characters" who are fun to know. I especially liked the plumber who repairs violins and plays them in his spare time. Or the old artist who hates modern art installations. So, even though both books are primarily about love affairs and relationships between men and women, parents and children, there is much more to ponder and to delight us.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
by Helen Simonson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 20 Sep 2011
This lovely book begins gently with a careful description of the main characters. They are by no means perfect individuals and we are not sure how much we like them right away. But as the pages flow and time passes, some of them become like our neighbors, for better or for worse, and we begin to care a great deal about what happens to them. The pace quickens in this book as you get into it and I found that by the second half, I did not want to put it down. I had to find out what happened to my new friends. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and cannot recommend it more highly.

The Life Collection: David Attenborough (24 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD] [1990]
The Life Collection: David Attenborough (24 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough
Price: 46.33

5.0 out of 5 stars simply wonderful, 24 July 2009
I can't recommend the Attenborough nature films more. Not only are they beautiful to see, informative, interesting, educational, but they are a film record of many natural situations which may disappear with the evolution of our plant, especially in terms of global warming. They are therefore historical documents in addition to being scientific reportage of the highest level. Every family should own this series of nature films and watch them over and over again on a regular basis.

You're Only Young Twice
You're Only Young Twice
by Quentin Blake
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 23 Feb 2009
For those of us who read children's stories and books to our kids which were filled with Quentin Blake's fanciful illustrations, this book is all the more welcome. Finally a book with pictures for us older folks! The images are that wonderful blend of silly, delightful, humorous, touching. My only criticism of the book is that it ends too quickly.