Profile for J. C. Murphy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Masterpiece - Andrew Weatherall
Masterpiece - Andrew Weatherall

5.0 out of 5 stars Grave on, 2 July 2012
One for the oldies amongst us with an eye on past exploits and future retro happenings. Weatherall is back on fire and this mix burns slow with a nice pulsing throb - like everything you've ever heard before but in a nu-disco imagining. Great track selection, too many highlights to list. If you've ever liked ANY electronic/house/dub/disco/nu beat/industrial/trance//balearic pop music buy this, it's absolutely bob on.

Birthday
Birthday

1.0 out of 5 stars Tonight Matthew we're going to be a pastiche, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Birthday (MP3 Download)
I hope Macca got the receipt so he can swap this for something he really wants. So lame it should come with a beige cardigan and slippers

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but uses a LOT of coffee, 1 Jun 2012
It's good and makes nice tasting coffee. Downsides are that uses a LOT of coffee (double that of a Moka pot) and it's also quite easy to accidentally lift the filter paper when stirring the coffee (use the supplied stirrer rather than a spoon)

Small irritations, big improvement on other home coffee makers
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2012 5:46 PM BST

Small Faces [Immediate] [Deluxe Edition]
Small Faces [Immediate] [Deluxe Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can be said?, 9 May 2012
I've nothing to add to the many words already written regarding this classic late Sixties album - however, worth the price of entry alone (in my humble) for this re-master and re-issue are the two alternate takes of Green Circles.

And it all sounds much fresher.

If you've already got it (and the other two re-mastered deluxe editions) then buy it for the two remaining members of the Small Faces and rest assured they'll receive some royalties for a change!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2012 11:01 AM BST

Iradelphic
Iradelphic

4.0 out of 5 stars A grower, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Iradelphic (Audio CD)
Give it a few listens, it begins to make sense. Its not his finest moment, but then even those have tracks you wanna skip. No? Just me then. The two tracks with Martina Topley-Bird are lovely, sunny, almost Balearic numbers. Com Touch and Tooth Moves for me are the real high points. Black Stone is haunting and quite simply beautiful/beautifully simple. I love his knack of making what sounds like a too long for itself melody come back in time and resolve. If you get my drift?

Every Man and Woman Is A Star
Every Man and Woman Is A Star

5.0 out of 5 stars It lives with me...., 1 April 2012
I may not listen to it very often but I often find myself whistling the little burbly acid line in 'Pansy' - and I'm prone to saying to myself 'I am a human being, like yourself' when life gets weird on me. As it does of course. This album sums up post-Acid House for me. And no-one has as yet done the chillout 'music for your mind body and soul' thing better. Glorious.

Sonik Kicks
Sonik Kicks
Offered by Sent2u

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Kicks, 23 Mar 2012
This review is from: Sonik Kicks (Audio CD)
Hmmm...where to start. I've been a blah blah long time blah Weller fan etc. etc. I had high hopes - I liked lots of Wake up the Nation. I liked it's sometime unusual time signatures, I liked the dense, aggressive production. I liked the impenetrability of some of the lyrics. However, with Sonik Kicks, Weller seems to have taken the same template and taken most (not all) of the excitement away. Sonik Kicks is heavily reliant on loops and samples created by Simon Dine, but to be honest the effect is similar to those little (rather funkless) 'funky' jam bits on Wild Wood and here and there dotted about most of his solo stuff. You know that ones? They start and groove along for 45 seconds then fade out. Best contained to B sides (do they even exist anymore?). Tracks like the album's opener Green is a case in point. This isn't too dissimilar to the remix stuff that Brendan Lynch used to produce for Paul. It's all Moog synth bassline panned left and right, cut up guitar stabs and licks, sirens and alarms going off like Oxford Street on a Saturday in August. Weller's obligatory free-form vocal samples flit around in the mix - it's modern and atonal and ends with a lovely reverb laden Psychedelic coda which slips into one of the LP's true highlights, the lovely The Attic which is Come On Lets Go's slightly less surly cousin. With tanlines. Happy then.

Track 3 is awful - Kling I Won't thanks Paul and everything but it's alright I'll pass. I don't ever want to hear those Mariachi trumpets again - for as long as I live! Sleep of the serene sounds like a hangover from the 22 Dreams sessions - pastoral strings and the odd synth bleep - a merry go round/musical box/fairground ride bad acid trip - it's over before its started, and you won't be any the better for it. Skip. Segues into an acoustic with strings Nick Drake a like By the Waters........it's nothing we haven't heard him do a thousand times before, and whilst it has a charm only Paul can conjure from the fretboard on occasion, it's a little....well....shall we say, dull? It's very dull. Nice and that, but......Mogadon the nation. That Dangerous Age is a welcome relief from the earnestness of the previous track. It's certainly not the classic it's being touted as, but it's a real grower of a power-pop song (remember that?). Oh dear oh dear........Study in Blue is 3 minutes of utter mediocrity I can't believe would even have made it onto a Style Council bootleg straight from the mixing desk and yet, 3 minutes more and it elopes with Lee Perry for a jaunt along West London streets in the Summer with a can of Crucial Brew and a spliff. That's ok then. It's more electronic trickery courtesy of Mr Dine on that too.

Dragonfly is a little reminiscent of In Amsterdam from Wake Up the Nation. It's ok. Not as instant as similar material on Wake Up. When your gardens overgrown no doubt would start "Side 2" on the vinyl - I haven't checked, it just sounds like a vinyl record side starter! It's ok, more of the same loops/samples vibe. With what sounds ominously like an oompah horn. Some plinky plonky piano...it won't set your world on fire. Around the Lake for me is the LP's other stand out track - it really sounds like Sound Affects era Jam - in fact, it's much much more Jam like than many Jam songs! We've come full circle perhaps with Weller influencing himself for a change. Anyway, it's a great song in my humble and sounds great...er.....after dark. Twilight is 20 seconds of nothing. Drifters.......meh, it hurts me to say this, but his vocal on it is bloody unlistenable. Next! Paperchase is a real plodder...it could have been on that Weller album with all the plodding stuff on it ..it's a bit.....er.........well, you've heard it before - plod plod....He's the Keeper....... Oh, and it goes all weird and looping and sample-tastic at the end - for a change, you know, just in case you hadn't had enough of that? Be happy children is another of Weller's plaintive Soul odes to his children/all the children of the world - imagine Curtis Mayfield on half a Temazepam and a cup of cocoa. His missus joins him again on vocals, because.....er...she can. It ends with a really creepy sample of a child. I don't think I was supposed to think The Shining, but I did!

In summary this album is just OK but PW is at least 'doing something different' and not many of his peers can say the same. I just hoped for more really. The man has more ideas going on in one song than many bands have in entire albums and sometimes that's the best and the worst thing about the modern world of Weller. But don't listen to me: buy it, sing along with the ones you can and skip the ones you can't.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2012 11:28 AM BST

Ball of String 40metre Thick
Ball of String 40metre Thick
Offered by 123ICU

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing, 1 Feb 2012
I must admit, I don't think there are 40 metres - I got bored counting after pulling off and measuring about 5 meters, but making a rough eyeball of what was left, I'd say it wasn't 35 meters - I could be wrong though, Anyway - I used some of this to tie something else together in the middle, thus resolving whatever issue it was that I needed some form of binding material for - I can't remember.

In summary, if you need 40 metres (35ish by my reckoning) of string for tying two things together to secure whatever it is in some sort of fashion, then you can't go wrong with string (this string)

Hungover Owls 2012 Wall Calendar
Hungover Owls 2012 Wall Calendar
by J. Patrick Brown
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars A year on the sauce, 1 Feb 2012
Do you like owls? Do you like being hungover? Well then you'll LOVE Hungover Owls. I get to see what day it is AND look at picture of owls which have had some anthropomorphic 'funnies' about drinking added to them. What's not to like?

Born To Die [Explicit]
Born To Die [Explicit]

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 1 Feb 2012
Like Video Games? Quite like Blue Jeans? Yeah, so did I - the album has nothing else that even compares - her voice isn't that good, come on admit it people - and overall this is all very stylised over hyped product. And the lyrics are truly abysmal, which when the focus of the production is on the vocals, makes them pretty hard to ignore. Too little waaaaay too soon. Avoid.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2012 5:11 PM GMT