Profile for J. C. Murphy > Reviews

J. C. Murphy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Muc-Off Anti-Fog Treatment, 35ml
Muc-Off Anti-Fog Treatment, 35ml

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless. First 5 mins this morning thought it was ..., 24 Feb. 2016
Absolutely useless. First 5 mins this morning thought it was great, no misting at all - until, it actually starts to turn the vapour from your breath into liquid, which then forms all over the inside of your visor. Great! Now car headlights turn into myriad pointed sparkling supernovas in front of your very eyes, cosmic man! Just what I wanted, to be blinded by headlights in so many unique and changing ways! Avoid this cr@p like the plague

The New World
The New World
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond awful, 30 Nov. 2015
Total cr@pola, 10 hours I'll never get back.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2015 1:36 PM GMT

Blundstone Chisel Toe, Unisex Adults Chelsea Boots, Brown (Brown), 10 UK (44 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Come up slightly large, 13 Nov. 2015
Come up slightly too large, solved by wearing thicker socks. Comfortable though

Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)
Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)
Offered by RUGELEY GAMES

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 13 Nov. 2015
I've played every Halo since the first and I have to say this is the least enjoyable, worse even than Halo 2. Solo campaign is short, many of the levels involve the same tedious gameplay on almost identical looking corridors/platforms - and lifts, so many lifts!! It's nice to look at but missing the soul of previous Halo games. The story/plotline is meaningless and impenetrable to anyone over the age of 14! I would struggle to recommend this.

My Love Is Cool
My Love Is Cool

4.0 out of 5 stars great debut, 25 Oct. 2015
This review is from: My Love Is Cool (Audio CD)
great debut, for fans of MBV/pixies/Sonic Youth/Throwing Muses - definitely some Placebo in there also - a little over produced in places and bordering on sulky teenage girl bedroom music on a couple of tracks, but overall it hangs together really well, a great listen.

AURITECH "BIKER" - New Generation Hearing Protectors for Motorcyclists
AURITECH "BIKER" - New Generation Hearing Protectors for Motorcyclists
Offered by Brixworkwear

2.0 out of 5 stars I think just disposable foam ear plugs are better even if they don't stay in your ear as ..., 5 Oct. 2015
Not convinced. They are hard to fit right I find and work themselves in quite deep. I think just disposable foam ear plugs are better even if they don't stay in your ear as well - these Auritech I think actually make the noise worse in some frequencies - a bit like a comb filter EQ - however, I bought these now so will use them. By the way, don't drop them, they can really bounce a long way and they're not easy to spot when they do!

Good Hemp Raw Protein Powder 500g
Good Hemp Raw Protein Powder 500g
Offered by Superfooduk

5.0 out of 5 stars Get over the taste thing, it's really not that bad!, 13 Aug. 2015
I honestly don't know why people are complaining about the taste - it tastes like slightly nutty water (if you mix with water) - if you mix with orange juice, slightly nutty orange juice! That's as bad as it gets - get over it, just reap the benefits. Also, if you shake it, it mixes fine. If you get some sludge left at the bottom, add a bit more liquid, give it a shake again. What's the issue, I'm struggling to understand - do you want absolutely everything in life laid out for you?!

I used to use Bike Food hemp powder, but that has disappeared - this stuff is just as good. You'll feel better for taking it. Buy some.

Saturns Pattern
Saturns Pattern

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal beyond belief, 25 May 2015
This review is from: Saturns Pattern (Audio CD)
Dear oh dear - I don't know how he's managed it, but he's made an album even more completely dire than Sonik Kicks! Honestly, as a long time Jam/Weller fan, please just let it go now mate - the samples, the FX, the post-production job - it's over, really. This is abysmal.

3.5mm Microphone Mic Adapter Cable For GoPro Hero 3 3+
3.5mm Microphone Mic Adapter Cable For GoPro Hero 3 3+
Offered by Ordel

1.0 out of 5 stars Does. Not. Work., 15 May 2015
Just bought it as wanted an adaptor that is a little more flush to the side of the housing - doesn't work with my Go Pro Silver 3+. Does. Not. Work.

Gutted

Reality Testing
Reality Testing

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunbeam party in your head!, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Reality Testing (Audio CD)
After the excellent Galaxy Garden LP which was (to my ears at least) Rave for a new generation with modern twists on old production techniques, as well as a lovely few oddities on his Soundcloud page, I've been really looking forward to Reality Testing's release and it certainly doesn't disappoint....so here we are then finally we have it, track by track breakdown.............

The opener is a wash of lush ambient synth pads with some static/detuned radio thrown in (a little Boards of Canada maybe) and it's a serene scene setter for the rest of the uptempo set that follows......

First track proper track kicks in next - sampled choppy sub Hip Hop beats with again lush Lone trademark synths and percussion - very David Holmes esque this one, reminds me of My Mate Paul off Don't die just yet - particularly the street sound samples (NYC car horn perhaps?) - a couple of minutes in and we get a lovely lead line very reminiscent of summery Funk from way back when - think Roy Ayers having a try out on Herbie Hancock's new Mini Moog synth and you're not far off.......vocal samples/sirens/scratched record textures, turntable stops - it's all here - I love how he manages to make it all sound loose but tight at the very same time.

Meeker Warm Energy continues with the Summer synth loving vibe - lovely laid back beats tripping and trippling over each other - beats a little like those 'made in a minute on NI Maschine' loops guys on You Tube proudly present (Yo!) but then Lone adds layers of sound and production values that totally belie the simplicity of those - more 'synthy wash' lead to take us out

Aurora Northern Quarter is yet more pads heaven to start and then that House piano stab comes in - rather than a standard 4/4 banging beat you might expect to kick in, Lone opts for a slightly subtler off beat sound that's at once familiar yet manages to sound as fresh as a daisy - "close your eyes" commands a distant voice and you might want to - we're off into blissful lead motif backed by choral vocals and pads - absolutely beautiful track a real highlight of this album, with more to come and we're only 13 mins in!

2 is 8 is another Summer (that season again!) vibed Housey/Hip Hop/Electro number replete with schoolyard kids samples, a DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince lead sound (better than that sounds!) and more crackles and retro vinyl feel before we end once again with the track phasing out into Lone's wonderful dreamy pads......................

Airglow Fires is up next and what can I say about this track? It won the honour of being voted the top track of 2013 by Bleep.com and it's fair to say it really did deserve that esteemed accolade. You will know this track so I won't go into detail - it fits well within the rest of the set, a small gripe for me being so familiar with it (played it to death!) and would have liked to have seen a new original track in it's place, but I get why it is here, it is stunning after all!

Coincidences starts with destructing/degrading tape loop crackles and atmospherics before moving swiftly into another great lead line, this time with a slightly minor key, melancholy vibe - over more Lone kick and snare Hip Hop brilliance - again, sounds loose yet you know each and every hit is where it should be - radio interference? Check - then a couple of mins in the tempo picks up and takes us onwards with spoken word vocal sample in that David Holmes style again........

Begin to Begin is the B side of Airglow Fires and if anything surpasses that track in many ways - it has to contain one of the most memorable hooks on display here melody wise - somewhere between a flute and a synth hit, the line followed superbly with sub bass then the most wonderful breakdown into lush chilled pads, waterfalls, choral lines - before we are brought back from this reverie into beats and percussive elements to the fore again - "Am I dreaming, am I awake?" - gorgeous - probably worth the price of admission alone if you've never heard this track before - I just don't want it to end!

Jaded for me is probably the weakest track on the album - more of the same minor key synth then the beats, a nice arpeggiated melody line with reverb drenched echoes bouncing back at you - lovely choir voices filtered right down - what am I saying, weak?! This still surpasses many productions. It's maybe more a grower. It fits in the set and overall vibe, but maybe a minute and half too long....? Who knows!? I'll probably learn to love it too, it's hard not to be seduced...

Vengeance Video is the album's 4/4 banger and is most akin to the Galaxy Garden style - I love his minimal hi hats and again another lovely arpeggio line - before we break into a solo stab (quite Orbital sounding - rave!) which is then backed by a real moving growler of a sub bassline - listen on decent monitors and you'll feel this track. Big room as the kids say these days I believe?! Could see this going down a treat at the right festivals in the warm Summer night air.....

Stuck is up next and it's maybe a chance to catch your breath after the previous stomper - an interlude - spoken word vocal samples, NYC street sounds and honks again - bells, atmosphere............2 and a bit mins........like a sound collage (whatever that means)

Cutched closes the album and starts like1999 LP era Prince (no bad thing!) with a big fat synth line over lovely crisp sounding programmed kick and hats - woodblock percussion, deep bass - kinda off beat again - amazing treated vocal sample filling the soundscape image - arpy lines before back into the beats, almost Drum and Bass (nearly) actually! It's a fine closer with a lovely long fade and you rather want it to stay around

I've given Reality Testing 4 stars - as much as I love them, I could have quite happily seen Airglow and Begin replaced with brand new tracks, but i guess that's just me being selfish and wanting more! Having said that they don't distract from the overall set and are quite magnificent both, so they're always welcome to me!

Reality Testing is a progression from Galaxy Garden - maybe not as immediate but certainly Lone is developing his sound palette, embracing different styles and moving into a hybrid genre of his very own - he's right up there on the cutting edge of modern producers for my money (along with Om Unit, Todd Terje, Jon Hopkins and so many others) - if you want superb modern music par excellence, that can equally be enjoyed alone on headphones or socialising with mates look no further.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4