Profile for i wrote this > Reviews

Content by i wrote this
Top Reviewer Ranking: 895

i wrote this "i did" (Bucks)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Melissa & Doug Classic Peg Puzzle Bundle
Melissa & Doug Classic Peg Puzzle Bundle
Price: 14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed and made puzzle set that looks set to stand up to some heavy play., 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've become big Melissa and Doug fans over the years and this sturdy set of great puzzles was a welcome reminder of why. Each puzzle is beautifully made, no nasty sharp edges, no splintery bits and no highly subjective artistic representations, light years ahead of the likes of the Asda brand wooden zoo puzzle we also have in our toy cupboard.
We were sent the set to review and we assumed our toddler would get the most out of it. We were delighted to find that our pre school daughter really connected with the puzzle that encourages children to match up alphabet shapes with pictures representing sounds that start with each corresponding letter.
I'm sure no parent or toddler will feel disappointed with this set which if it's any thing like the other toys we have from Melissa and Doug, will be sure to stand up to years and years of happy play.

Fisher-Price Little People Birthday Party Playset
Fisher-Price Little People Birthday Party Playset
Price: 19.29

2.0 out of 5 stars A well made toy set but it didn't click with my children and you don't get much for your money., 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My children just didn't get on with this Birthday party play set.
Most of their little plastic people are from the Happy Land toy range rather than Fisher Price which I think those represent better value for money and lend themselves to more flexible and imaginative play. Here's why:

Strip away the light up/musical birthday cake and there isn't much in the box. The back ground with the spinny pictures is pretty boring and not something my children were interested in. Likewise the "flat" style plastic balloons didn't capture their imagination at all.
My oldest daughter was downright annoyed that the set comes with 4 plastic chairs but only two little people! We suggested she use her other toys to fill the seats but she was most put out (as every parent knows, children know what they like).
The birthday present is the most disappointing aspect. Aside from the questionable decision to make a puppy the contents of the present (whatever happened to "A dog is for life, not just for Christmas!"?), the plastic dog is permanently attached to the base of the present meaning the children had no freedom to play and experiment with their own ideas for little gifts, which I would have thought would be an obvious way to encourage imaginative play.
The build quality is sturdy enough although the back ground scene is a little more flimsy then I would like and I doubt it will stand up to to much rough play.

In the end my children played with the set as it is only once - the time it came out of the box. We were on holiday and they didn't have access to their Happy Lands figures.
Once we got home they adopted the light up musical birthday cake into their 'plastic people' toy box and started throwing birthday parties for their Happy Land people. The rest of the set may as well not exist. Had I paid for this set I would have been pretty miffed, as it was I received it for review so have no axe to grind. But I can't recommend it unless you get it dirt cheap in a sale.

The Creativity Hub Rory's Story Cubes
The Creativity Hub Rory's Story Cubes
Offered by PDK Toys, Games & Music
Price: 11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for inventive, creative young children. So that's all of them then., 11 Aug 2014
Story cubes are bags of fun and perfectly portable so great for bored moments in Dr waiting rooms etc. My oldest child loves making up stories together with the aid of these cubes. We also have the iOS app but nothing beats the tactile feedback of rolling the cubes or the sensation you get from holding one as you ponder the next inventive twist in your story. Every child should experience this wonderful and inspiring toy!

10 x Mini Plush Yellow Chicks Easter Egg Decorations
10 x Mini Plush Yellow Chicks Easter Egg Decorations
Offered by mykiddistore (VAT Registered & FREE P+P)
Price: 1.69

5.0 out of 5 stars If you absolutely positively got to decorate every last Easter cup cake in the room....., 11 Aug 2014
.... accept no substitute.

LogiLink 2.4 GHz 1000 DPI Cooper - Mini Optical Wireless USB Mouse - White/Pink
LogiLink 2.4 GHz 1000 DPI Cooper - Mini Optical Wireless USB Mouse - White/Pink
Offered by Obbo GmbH
Price: 11.63

2.0 out of 5 stars The mini mouse that isn't mini enough, 11 Aug 2014
Not impressed with this so sent it back. It feels cheap for starters. It's described as a Mini wireless mouse but it was just as big as the standard issue generic mouse that came with my office PC.
I ended up buying the Logitech M187 which actually is a little mouse so great for chidlren's hands and for travel which is what I wanted.

AmazonBasics USB Charging and Synchronising Cable for Apple iPod 4, iPod nano 6, iPad 3, iPhone 4S and Previous Apple Models 3.2 Feet / 1 m Black
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Amazon Basics cable., 11 Aug 2014
Great little cable, does the job nicely and much cheaper then an Apple alternative.

Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Baby Monitor
Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Baby Monitor
Price: 129.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing video results, terrible menus and no wall mounting options for the camera. But otherwise O ;-), 11 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I liked this baby monitor when I took it out of the box and my children instantly christened it "The Penguin" due to the vaguely cute looking camera. The first test showed that although the monitor screen is grainy with disappointingly low definition, it seemed to work pretty well.
The problems started when we used the monitor for real, i.e. with the camera and monitor in separate rooms and with tired parents who just want simple button presses.

The issues with the MBP36S have all been covered here already but here is my take on them:

Firstly, the lack of a wall mounting or bracket for the camera is a pain. In order to rest it on surface from which it could actually record the cot we had to have a trailing wire - not what we wanted! I appreciate that a few cable brackets would quickly take care of this but firstly I am not impressed that Motorola left it to me to pay for additional fittings and secondly what I really want is to be able to mount the camera up high with out the need of conveniently placed furniture to stand it on.

Secondly the lag between the camera and the picture on the monitor is painful. My home is not especially big but I found that I only got decent reception if the monitor is in the same room as the camera. Which is of course completely pointless. The end result is a monitor which gives you a blurry and pixelated general gist of what your child was doing some 30ish seconds ago. This can be useful but it's far short of the promises on the box.

Thirdly - and worst of all in my view, the menu system is dire. It's an overly complicated muddle of abstract icons that mean very little. It's easy to pan the camera round - but that's it. Using a feature like remotely activating the speaker to play the pre set lullabies is something we have relied on in previous monitors and ought to be a simple one button command. But Motorola seem to have taken inspiration from the Sony Playstation XMB - a mess of scrolling backwards, forwards, up and down between icons to achieve something that should be simple.

And finally on the negatives the monitor feels cheap and flimsy. I can't see it lasting long.

In it's favour, the MBP36S is very simple to set up and goes do the job it was designed for. It just doesn't do it very well so I can't recommend it, but it's OK.

Salad Love: How to Create a Lunchtime Salad, Every Weekday, in 20 Minutes or Less
by David Bez

4.0 out of 5 stars Some gorgeous salad recipes. Something for everyone and for ..., 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some gorgeous salad recipes. Something for everyone and for every day in fact! Lovely pictures.

Why 4 stars? Two reasons:

1) He uses things such as 'cous cous' and 'quinoa' as 'bases' but doesn't give any recipes for these. They can be really bland if not flavoured well.

2) There is some delicious dressing recipes at the beginning - but these don't seem to be included in the daily recipes.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka
Price: 10.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very family friendly recipes, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a huge disappointment.

After a year of gastroenterology appointments my husband is wheat/gluten free and has an improvement in symptoms when he is carb free in the evenings. In addition, my youngest has a wheat allergy. I was therefore, really excited to receive this book and was looking forward to some new inspiration.

My two main issues are:
1) The lack of pictures - many recipes do not have a picture. Personally, I am unlikely to make something that I can't see.

2)The majority of recipes are quite 'fussy' and contain fairly unusual ingredients. (Eg Stuffed squid). I do not find them very 'family friendly' recipes.

Back to the 'Deliciously Ella' website recipes for me!

Melissa & Doug Show Horse Stable
Melissa & Doug Show Horse Stable
Price: 16.79

2.0 out of 5 stars shoddy, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We heart Melissa & Doug in our house - and have done since our first (of many) purchase of their wooden saucepan set.

However, this seriously fell short of expectation. The stable doors came off during the first play. Our daughter is nearly 5 and did not handle it roughly.

That said, she has still had lots of pleasure playing with the horses and putting them in and out of the compartments. It's just a shame she can't carry it around with no doors as the horses slide out!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20