Profile for i wrote this > Reviews

Content by i wrote this
Top Reviewer Ranking: 891

i wrote this "i did" (Bucks)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Creativity Hub Rory's Story Cubes
The Creativity Hub Rory's Story Cubes
Price: 9.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for inventive, creative young children. So that's all of them then., 11 Aug 2014
Story cubes are bags of fun and perfectly portable so great for bored moments in Dr waiting rooms etc. My oldest child loves making up stories together with the aid of these cubes. We also have the iOS app but nothing beats the tactile feedback of rolling the cubes or the sensation you get from holding one as you ponder the next inventive twist in your story. Every child should experience this wonderful and inspiring toy!

10 x Mini Plush Yellow Chicks Easter Egg Decorations
10 x Mini Plush Yellow Chicks Easter Egg Decorations
Offered by mykiddistore (VAT Registered & FREE P+P)
Price: 1.69

5.0 out of 5 stars If you absolutely positively got to decorate every last Easter cup cake in the room....., 11 Aug 2014
.... accept no substitute.

LogiLink 2.4 GHz 1000 DPI Cooper - Mini Optical Wireless USB Mouse - White/Pink
LogiLink 2.4 GHz 1000 DPI Cooper - Mini Optical Wireless USB Mouse - White/Pink
Price: 9.90

2.0 out of 5 stars The mini mouse that isn't mini enough, 11 Aug 2014
Not impressed with this so sent it back. It feels cheap for starters. It's described as a Mini wireless mouse but it was just as big as the standard issue generic mouse that came with my office PC.
I ended up buying the Logitech M187 which actually is a little mouse so great for chidlren's hands and for travel which is what I wanted.

AmazonBasics USB Charging and Synchronising Cable for Apple iPod 4, iPod nano 6, iPad 3, iPhone 4S and Previous Apple Models 3.2 Feet / 1 m Black
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Amazon Basics cable., 11 Aug 2014
Great little cable, does the job nicely and much cheaper then an Apple alternative.

Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Baby Monitor
Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Baby Monitor
Price: 129.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing video results, terrible menus and no wall mounting options for the camera. But otherwise O ;-), 11 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I liked this baby monitor when I took it out of the box and my children instantly christened it "The Penguin" due to the vaguely cute looking camera. The first test showed that although the monitor screen is grainy with disappointingly low definition, it seemed to work pretty well.
The problems started when we used the monitor for real, i.e. with the camera and monitor in separate rooms and with tired parents who just want simple button presses.

The issues with the MBP36S have all been covered here already but here is my take on them:

Firstly, the lack of a wall mounting or bracket for the camera is a pain. In order to rest it on surface from which it could actually record the cot we had to have a trailing wire - not what we wanted! I appreciate that a few cable brackets would quickly take care of this but firstly I am not impressed that Motorola left it to me to pay for additional fittings and secondly what I really want is to be able to mount the camera up high with out the need of conveniently placed furniture to stand it on.

Secondly the lag between the camera and the picture on the monitor is painful. My home is not especially big but I found that I only got decent reception if the monitor is in the same room as the camera. Which is of course completely pointless. The end result is a monitor which gives you a blurry and pixelated general gist of what your child was doing some 30ish seconds ago. This can be useful but it's far short of the promises on the box.

Thirdly - and worst of all in my view, the menu system is dire. It's an overly complicated muddle of abstract icons that mean very little. It's easy to pan the camera round - but that's it. Using a feature like remotely activating the speaker to play the pre set lullabies is something we have relied on in previous monitors and ought to be a simple one button command. But Motorola seem to have taken inspiration from the Sony Playstation XMB - a mess of scrolling backwards, forwards, up and down between icons to achieve something that should be simple.

And finally on the negatives the monitor feels cheap and flimsy. I can't see it lasting long.

In it's favour, the MBP36S is very simple to set up and goes do the job it was designed for. It just doesn't do it very well so I can't recommend it, but it's OK.

Salad Love: How to Create a Lunchtime Salad, Every Weekday, in 20 Minutes or Less
by David Bez
Price: 14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Some gorgeous salad recipes. Something for everyone and for ..., 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some gorgeous salad recipes. Something for everyone and for every day in fact! Lovely pictures.

Why 4 stars? Two reasons:

1) He uses things such as 'cous cous' and 'quinoa' as 'bases' but doesn't give any recipes for these. They can be really bland if not flavoured well.

2) There is some delicious dressing recipes at the beginning - but these don't seem to be included in the daily recipes.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka
Price: 13.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very family friendly recipes, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a huge disappointment.

After a year of gastroenterology appointments my husband is wheat/gluten free and has an improvement in symptoms when he is carb free in the evenings. In addition, my youngest has a wheat allergy. I was therefore, really excited to receive this book and was looking forward to some new inspiration.

My two main issues are:
1) The lack of pictures - many recipes do not have a picture. Personally, I am unlikely to make something that I can't see.

2)The majority of recipes are quite 'fussy' and contain fairly unusual ingredients. (Eg Stuffed squid). I do not find them very 'family friendly' recipes.

Back to the 'Deliciously Ella' website recipes for me!

Melissa & Doug Show Horse Stable
Melissa & Doug Show Horse Stable
Price: 17.06

2.0 out of 5 stars shoddy, 30 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We heart Melissa & Doug in our house - and have done since our first (of many) purchase of their wooden saucepan set.

However, this seriously fell short of expectation. The stable doors came off during the first play. Our daughter is nearly 5 and did not handle it roughly.

That said, she has still had lots of pleasure playing with the horses and putting them in and out of the compartments. It's just a shame she can't carry it around with no doors as the horses slide out!

Joseph Joseph 6-Piece Nest Storage
Joseph Joseph 6-Piece Nest Storage
Price: 39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab boxes - shame not more choice of sizes, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a staunch 'lock and lock' box user but as these don't stack and my cupboard is a disaster zone, I was keen to give these a try.

I am really impressed by how sturdy these boxes are. They do not warp in the dishwasher - even on the hottest setting.

The colour coded lids are a genius idea and have made life much easier.

The boxes/lids stack best when all boxes are present, but still stack well when one/some are missing.

My only complaint is that I have rarely used the largest sizes. It's a shame you're limited to this selection of sizes. The smallest boxes are always in use in lunchboxes and the fridge so I have to go back to my 'Lock and Lock' collection!

Fisher-Price Nursery Rhymes Projector Lightshow
Fisher-Price Nursery Rhymes Projector Lightshow
Offered by Molly & Boo
Price: 44.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our 1 year old daughter is completely and utterly captivated by this. To the extent where she is asking to 'lie down', and for 'bed' and 'row row'!

The songs are charming (although we prefer the hummed verse to the slightly operatic sung verse one) and move on to classical music. I heard a lovely 'Pachobel's Canon' tonight - reminiscent of our wedding!

The light images change gently throughout the songs songs to illustrate them. Eg Incy Wincy spider changes from rain to sun etc...

The on button took our daughter a little while to master herself. She initially had to do it with her thumb but has since moved to her index finger. We have watched her (on the video monitor) pop it on without even sitting up!

The remote control seems a bit useless. You need to have the door open to use it - and by then, you've already made yourself known!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20