Profile for i wrote this > Reviews

Content by i wrote this
Top Reviewer Ranking: 892

i wrote this "i did" (Bucks)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Russell Hobbs Precision Kettle - 1.5 Litre - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Slamtech Online

2.0 out of 5 stars Leftie kettle hell!, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This kettle was given to us to review.

Starting with the positives:

It is quieter than our old (very noisy) kettle

So that is the positives done and dusted! Now to the negatives:

As a leftie living with a righty, kettles are one of the things that I look out for with regards to the position of the switches and the water gauge. On this kettle, neither is satisfied. Held in the right hand you can't see the water gauge, held in the left and putting it on the base you can't reach the on switches.

The lid doesn't open far enough to get the kettle under the tap and I found myself dipping it in the washing up bowl trying to fill it up.

We tried making drinks at the different temperatures suggested but they just weren't as nice as usual.

The only thing we could come up with was that you don't need boiling water to make up infant formula!

We have also struggled to come up with an opportunity to try (or should I say need) the keep warm function. Sounds like it would be really useful but in reality I'm not sure it is. Why wouldn't you just re boil it?

Finally the kettle itself looks ok but the handle isn't that comfy, neither for little or big hands.

Not a glowing review! I looked at other people's reviews and they all gave it a really good score which surprised us. We'd be disappointed if we'd bought it.

Answering Tough Interview Questions For Dummies
Answering Tough Interview Questions For Dummies
by Rob Yeung

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but wordy in places, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I look great on paper. In fact, I am great!

Unfortunately, interviews are not my forte - all my well rehearsed answers go out of mind, leaving it unhelpfully blank. (If only I could see the questions in advance, I'd be awesome!)

In the past, I have done lots of googling with regards to technique and 'text book answers'. I wouldn't say that this book taught me anything I hadn't heard already but it's really handy to have it all in one place.

It's clear and thorough. Quite a comprehensive guide.

Now I just need to apply it......I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Koochi Motohero Group 1/2/3 Car Seat (Mix Magenta)
Koochi Motohero Group 1/2/3 Car Seat (Mix Magenta)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab - but miss the swivel action!, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a Maxi Cosi Axis swivel seat for our 1.5 year old, which we used for our daughter, now aged four and a half years old. and in a booster style seat.

We got the Koochi seat for our second car.

It is a fab colour and feels really sturdy, supportive and robust.

BUT....boy do I miss the swivel action of the Axis and can really feel it in my back when I've had a day of lifting a wriggly 1.5 year old in and out of the car.

It's great that it will see her through until 12years old - so if costing is an issue would be a shrewd move - but if you have a little more to spend, consider a swivel chair. You wont regret it.

Babies Firsts 140x70 x10cm thick British Made  Luxury Spring Cot Bed Mattress with hypo-allergenic & quilted cover
Babies Firsts 140x70 x10cm thick British Made Luxury Spring Cot Bed Mattress with hypo-allergenic & quilted cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mid range baby mattress! Can't fault it, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Full disclosure: I was sent this mattress to review by the manufacturer via the Amazon. We've done a fair bit of research on cot mattresses in the past and have bought at least 3 (not all at the same time) and I can say with confidence that this is a good mid range product. We're using it as a mattress for a first bed rather then a cot and it's perfect.
If you can stretch to it I'd recommend getting a natural/coconut fiber mattress over springs, they cost twice as much but after reading the various baby sleep and SID web pages I was convinced they were best and I was pleased with the choice.
But, if you have chosen a spring mattress at this price range this one is great.
We recently had to buy a new cot mattress in a hurry (long story) and ended up having to pay more then this for a foam mattress, so this is definitely a decent price for a great product.

Tacwise 53 Staple Selection Pack (6mm; 8mm & 10mm / 2000 of each)
Tacwise 53 Staple Selection Pack (6mm; 8mm & 10mm / 2000 of each)

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job nicely, 20 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was sent these to review and used them for wall mounted displays with a stapler by the same company. They worked together perfectly and I was happy with the result. Definitely worth considering.

Tacwise Z1-53T Staple Tacker - See Through Green
Tacwise Z1-53T Staple Tacker - See Through Green

5.0 out of 5 stars decent sturdy stapler., 20 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really pleased with how this stapler performed. It's sturdy but fairly light weight for what it is. I like the finish and can't fault it.

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar for GCSE, Complete Revision & Practice
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar for GCSE, Complete Revision & Practice
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for reference, 28 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this as a KS2 primary school teacher, wanting to brush up on my grammar in readiness for the new September 2014 curriculum.

I am a big fan of the CGP range - I pretty much taught myself GCSE maths thanks to CGP, when a teacher who struggled to control the class taught me very little!

This book is typical of CGP - very clear with good examples for clarity.

Here's hoping this review is grammatically correct or let the backlash commence!

Practise & Learn: Mental Maths (Ages 5-7) (Practice & Learn)
Practise & Learn: Mental Maths (Ages 5-7) (Practice & Learn)
by CGP Books

3.0 out of 5 stars More Year 2 than Rec/Year 1, 28 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a colourful, clear book with some useful activities for practising mental maths.

However, there are quite a range of activities more in line with the current Year 2 curriculum (particularly dividing and multiplying) making the 5-7 year age range quite a stretch!

There is a shift in the new September 2014 national curriculum which might mean this is more applicable for Year 1s next academic year - but check out the contents page on the Amazon 'Look Inside!' feature before buying.

Logitech PowerShell Controller with Battery
Logitech PowerShell Controller with Battery

2.0 out of 5 stars Wort £90? NO WAY!!!! Did work with iphone 5c though., 26 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mobile gaming without my fingers covering up massive amounts of the screen?
Mobile gaming with out the fidgety, faffy on screen controls?
Games that rival Nintendo and Sony portable systems quality control on my phone?
It's a beautiful dream. But the hugely under whelming iOS 7 MFI controllers so far released demonstrate that a dream is all it is. And the Logitech Powershell is possibly the worst of the bunch. Here's why:

The Price.
Last year saw the release of the two most advanced console controllers ever developed, the Sony Dualshock 4 retails for £50 and the Microsoft Xbox One controller (including the charging gear) costs £60. They are beautifully crafted, robust controllers featuring dual analog sticks, four trigger/shoulder buttons, force feedback, motion control tech and rechargeable batteries. The Logitech Powershell is a cheap knock off SNES controller with sticky shoulder buttons, clacky face buttons, the worst Dpad I've ever experienced on a branded device and a rechargeable battery. It doesn't even include a proper charger

The £90 price tag is unjustifiable for what is basically a cheap and nasty controller. There is some speculation among the tech media that the high price on all the MFI controllers is because Apple insisted on a specific supplier of certain parts, so maybe this isn't Logitech's fault. But either way this would be a pretty horrible controller for £30. So being charged £90 is inexcusable.
Seriously, if you are thinking of buying this do yourself a huge favour and spend an extra tenner to get a Nintendo 2DS. Because that is what we have here; a controller that pretty much costs the same as a whole games system.

Charging.
As mentioned above you do not get a wall charger included, just a micro usb cable. You probably have a computer or games console that you can plug this into to charge it up, but let's stop and think for a second. If I want to travel with this device I need to take 2 chargers (asuming I have one or am willing to buy one) one for my phone and a totally separate one for the Powershell. If I've got to make room in my case for the Powershell and an extra charger I may as well take a 3DS or Vita with me, they take up the same space. Seriously, this thing should be able to use my phone charger.

The D pad.
Hands down the worst aspect of this product. Instead of a traditional digital D pad Logitech have opted for an analog one. It is a nasty, cheap piece of uncomfortable plastic. It works fine with 2D platformers (I tried Sonic CD and Muffin Knight and results were fine) but it is virtually unusable in other types of games. I tested it in Sonic All Star Racing Transformed and had to press very hard to steer a car, but the areas with aeroplanes were unplayable as the Dpad simply did not have enough travel on the vertical access to play the game. Surprisingly, I found it quite good when playing Asphalt 8, certainly better then my experience playing that game with touch controls..

Nasty buttons.
The face buttons are responsive but very clacky and too small and close together for my liking. The shoulder buttons are just bad. They are uncomfortable to use and they stick. Again, this product costs £90 and is officially endorsed by Apple.

Lack of control options.
The D pad is okay so long as commands are limited to left and right. It's useless for fighting games where a proper digital D pad is the only real option on a portable device. There are no analog sticks so FPS games and dual stick shooters are totally out. The Moga MFI controller provides theses. Now of course Moga also make cheap, nasty and over priced controllers, but at least their's offers more choice in the titles that can be played.

Hopefully by now you've got the idea that this is a product to be avoided, but in the spirit of openness I do want to share the few good points I came across. The finish on the back of the unit is pretty good, a nice non slip surface that sits comfortably in your hands (the discomfort in use comes from the button placement). The iphone charging feature works fine and is very useful. Despite Logitech and Apple going out of there to state that the Powercell does not work with iphone 5C I tested it with one anyway and found that it worked both as a game controller and a charger. The on/off switch didn't work but it's not a bad result considering the phone is not officially supported.

In conclusion this is a terrible product. Buy a Moga controller or a 2DS instead. Or wait to see if the recently announced MadKatz MFI controller gets it right, but I wouldn't expect too much.

Alpen Original 375 g (Pack of 5)
Alpen Original 375 g (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars 23.1% sugar. 76.9% dust., 18 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The good people at Weetabix were kind enough to send me some Alpen to review. I haven't eaten it in years so it was quite a nostalgic experience. Alpen is to me a very odd marketing concept, I always thought the point of muesli was that it was a healthy breakfast but the NHS Choices website single it out as containing too much sugar (they recommend Shredded Wheat, Weeabix and Quaker Oats btw). So for me the only appeal of Alpen that remains is the taste. My childhood memories were that I liked Alpen but that the further down the packet one got the more the cereal was reduced to an unpalatable powder with a few dry raisins floating about. Decades later Alpen is just the same. The first few bowls were pleasant enough but roughly half the packet was just dust. So I won't be buying another packet in a hurry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20