Profile for S. Nawrat > Reviews

Content by S. Nawrat

S. Nawrat (near london, uk)

RSPB Pocket Birds
RSPB Pocket Birds
by Jonathan Elphick

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent field guide - ideal for beginners, 22 Feb 2009
This review is from: RSPB Pocket Birds (Paperback)
I bought this book several years ago when I became a more serious birdwatcher and it has served me as an excellent field guide ever since.

It is very useful to any birdwatcher, regardless of experience, because of the detailed information, excellent photographs and concise introduction to bird anatomy at the beginning of the book. The species comparison features are also very handy (e.g. similar species and size comparison to common birds) because they aid quick and accurate identification. Moreover the succinct text and clear layout make it particularly accessible to a beginner. Finally, it is small and pocket-sized, making it an ideal book to take out birdwatching.

If you are looking for an interesting, easy-to-read and informative field guide, I strongly recommend that you purchase "RSPB Pocket Birds".

The Orchard Book of Nursery Rhymes (Books for Giving)
The Orchard Book of Nursery Rhymes (Books for Giving)
by Zena Sutherland
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to treasure for ever, 2 Aug 2007
I was given this book for my first Christmas, and I still read it and love it. Every page is full of beautiful illustrations (set mostly in 18th century England) that really bring the charming nursery rhymes to life.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars DON'T believe the hype, 1 Sep 2006
The Da Vinci Code is a badly written, unoriginal, cliched pot- boiler that is full of stereotypical characters.

It may be a fast-paced page turner but the writing really lacks something- perhaps it is beauty, intelligence or real skill- and it left me very dissasitisfied at the end.

This book may have broken records with its sales, but it is certainly not a great book, and not even (in my opinion) a good book.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon
Price: 5.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A true 'crossover' classic- hilarious!, 1 Sep 2006
This book is very honest, down to earth and funny. And the narration is brilliant- it's very original. I can read parts of this book time and time again. I also say it is a 'crossover' classic because both my dad (who is in his early 50s) and I (I'm in my early teens) loved it.

I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a book that's a bit quirky, very funny and not totally action-packed!

The Seeing Stone (Arthur)
The Seeing Stone (Arthur)
by Kevin Crossley-Holland
Price: 6.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 17 Aug 2006
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Due to the author's fantastic descriptions and vivid depictions of medieval manor life, you feel as if you have been temporarily absorbed into Arthur's world. It's a fascinating and very entertaining read.

Fortunately, the sequel is just as good but I did not like the third book as much (probably because I loved the whole medieval manor thing in the other two books, and because it features too many technical details about ships) but it's still worth a read.

Romeo And Juliet [DVD]
Romeo And Juliet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 July 2006
This review is from: Romeo And Juliet [DVD] (DVD)
Often old plays (e.g Shakespeare) put in a modern context are not that good but this was brilliant.

It was a beautiful film with excellent acting and it made me look at the play in a whole new light.

I would strongly recommend this film to anyone, but most of all to those who think Shakespeare's plays are dull, boring, irrelevent and 'dusty'.

Mean Girls [2004] [DVD]
Mean Girls [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lindsay Lohan
Price: 3.70

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly very good film, 23 July 2006
This review is from: Mean Girls [2004] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this round a friend's house and thought it would just be the usual shallow American high school movie.

Instead, it was genuinely funny and actually a good film, despite it's rather slushy ending.

Also, Mean Girls seems to have gained cult movie status with teen girls. I recommend this film to anyone who likes chick flicks but is fed up with the usual American high school movie.

Pleasantville [DVD] [1999]
Pleasantville [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Tobey Maguire
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding- a true classic!, 23 July 2006
This review is from: Pleasantville [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This film is one of my favourite films. It is one of those few films that I can watch over and over and over again

It is funny, beautiful, moving, insightful and thought provoking without being tacky, cheesy and preaching to the viewer. Also, Pleasantville is full of classic moments with an outstanding cast.

I would strongly recommend this film to anyone.

Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little disappointing, 23 July 2006
I rented this film from Amazon because it had received some great reviews on here. But once I had finished watching it I felt rather dissatisfied.

I thought the humour, although hilariously spot on sometimes, was generally hit-and-miss. Also, I think the originality and quirkiness of the film is exaggerated by many critics.

Although it was a little disappointing, I would still recommend that people watched it because despite it's weaknesses, it is still a fairly enjoyable movie.