Profile for Karl I Winter > Reviews

The Mike Maurro Peak-Hour Remixes
The Mike Maurro Peak-Hour Remixes
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Hearts Run Free, 16 Feb. 2015
We’ve waiting a long time for this but it has finally arrived and is well worth the wait. I’ve known Mike for more than 10 years as we are both avid Disco record collectors but this is a new string to Mike’s bow and boy is he good at it.
Just as the Godfather of Mixing, Tom Moulton, has his own way of doing things I can now tell a Mike Maurro mix when I hear one. A lot of these tracks have been done before but Mike does them in his own way and does them very well indeed. The stand out for me has to be Candi Staton’s “Young Hearts Run Free”. Although a rare and highly sought after 12 inch single exists of this 1976 track the original 12 inch is no longer than the regular 7 inch. Finally we have a longer version, beautifully done and a sure fire winner.

Great work by Ian Dewhirst too and all at Harmless to get all these tracks licensed and at £10.99 for a triple CD containing 3 and a half hours of music it’s an absolute steal.

Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2015 10:00 PM GMT

Philadelphia International: The Tom Moulton Remixes (Special Vinyl Edition) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Moulton Philly Classics on Vinyl.., 27 Mar. 2013
I won't do much of a review about the music as it's already been done but will instead concentrate on "what's in the box".

All I can say this is a beautiful, luxurious box set, worth every penny. Each of the 8 vinyls has been pressed on heavy 180g Vinyl and each comes with its own inner and outer sleeve (the outer sleeves are like LP covers). Each outer sleeve contains track listings, credits etc.
There are 4 tracks on each Vinyl, 2 per side, save for the last track "Where will you go when the Party's over" which takes up a side on it's own...
Only 1,000 have been pressed and it's unlikely this set will be repressed so in years to come this will become very valuable and a real collectors item.
It sounds a lot of money but works out at less than £8 per vinyl. You would pay that for a 12 inch single these days and probably wouldn't get 4 great tracks on it so in that context it's well worth the money.

An essential purchase for Vinyl Junkies like myself...many congrats to Ian Dewhirst and all at Harmless on such a great product
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2013 9:34 PM BST