Profile for OMG! It's got a plug! > Reviews

Content by OMG! It's got ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 90

OMG! It's got a plug! "OMG! It's got a plug!" (Winchester)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Silver Globe
The Silver Globe

5.0 out of 5 stars Weaving magic, 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Silver Globe (Audio CD)
With her last two albums Jane Weaver upped the ante but with this album she takes it to another level altogether. With David Holmes and Andy Votel helping out on production duties, this is a giant leap forward by Weaver. Cosmic, ethereal and motorik with cool electronic vibes it is at times drop dead gorgeous. Imagine Seventies electro Krautrockers mixing it in the studio with Sixties folkies with Portishead circa their 'Third' album at the controls overseeing it all - it's like an album of old songs given a contemporary 21st century makeover. The standard of the song writing is astonishing at times as is the musicianship (Weaver is credited in the sleevenotes with having played 10 different instruments), arrangements and Weaver's vocals. There's a real commercial sound to a few of the songs but the overall vibe and quality is never compromised. This is a beautiful album and it's currently in a dead heat with The Soundcarriers for my album of the year.

Vax U88-AM-Te Air Total Home Upright Vacuum
Vax U88-AM-Te Air Total Home Upright Vacuum

3.0 out of 5 stars Great suction and reach but difficult to manoeuvre, 19 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good looking vacuum cleaner and despite its slender body, the bin is large. The suction is excellent and it easily matches my Dyson and it is surprisingly quiet. It comes with a whole host of useful attachments but unfortunately you can't store them all on the machine.

It's not perfect though. It's nowhere near as light as Vax claim it to be and I'd go as far to suggest the promotional image of a woman holding it with one finger is misleading. It's a beast to manoeuvre too. I'm no weakling but it takes considerable effort to move around and really puts your arm muscles to the test. Obviously you expect resistance due to the suction but it's just too excessive.

The reach is excellent. Using the extendable hose, handle and wand together I just about managed (on tip toes) to hoover up the cobwebs that had gathered at the top of the wall and ceiling above the stairs.

Top marks for suction and reach but I can't recommend this Vax because it's just too difficult to manoeuvre around.

TTfone Mercury 2 Big Button Basic Senior Unlocked Sim Free Mobile Phone with Dock - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed senior PAYG, 18 Nov. 2014
I bought this PAYG phone for my Dad who was struggling with a hand me down flip open Nokia phone with small buttons. It's not too big and it's lightweight, slim and works with his existing Orange PAYG SIM card. The screen is big and the backlit buttons are easy to see and press and you can set it up so that when typing in numbers a voice tells you which numbers you have pressed. The battery life is very good and it locks and the screen goes off after 30 seconds. You can add nine quick dial options that involve just pressing one pre-defined button for two seconds when making a call. There's a handy torch too (press the '0' button for 3 seconds to switch it on and likewise to switch if off).

It has extra features that I don't think most people using this phone will want or use (as my Dad said "I just want to make and receive calls"). You can add a MicroSD card and play MP3s or display photos on the screen. There's no headphone input and the sound quality from the inbuilt speaker is, expectedly, somewhat very limited and the radio can't pick up any stations whatsoever despite living in a built up area.

Finding numbers stored on the SIM card is straightforward but it has one baffling flaw. When selecting a number to dial from your list of contacts, you press the green button and instead of calling the number it comes up with two options on the screen to either 1. Add new contact or 2. Call. You have to press the down arrow key to select the 'Call' option and then press the green button again... Why it gives you the option to add a new contact when you're attempting to call an existing one is a mystery.

Ultimately this is a good phone and it's about half the price of similar ones my dad was thinking of buying from one of those catalogues you get pushed through the letter box. Overall rating: 3Ĺ stars
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2015 11:11 PM BST

Sky MINI SD501 Wireless Connector
Sky MINI SD501 Wireless Connector

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 18 Nov. 2014
This is a very small device that weighs next to nothing and it's simple to connect to a wireless network using your Sky remote control. I had it out of the box, installed and downloading TV programmes within 5 minutes. It connects to the Sky+HD box via USB cable (supplied) and does not require it's own power supply. Easy to follow instructions for setting it up are printed on the inside of the cardboard box it arrives in. The extra functionally it gives to your Sky is well worth the very modest outlay.

Norton Security 2.0 in 1 User 5 Devices [2015] [Product Key Card]
Norton Security 2.0 in 1 User 5 Devices [2015] [Product Key Card]

5.0 out of 5 stars Still effortlessly taking care of business, 18 Nov. 2014
Norton Security combines features from their previous products (Norton Antivirus, Internet Security and 360) into one security suite and provides security for a multitude of operating systems (see below). **This review is for Norton installed on a laptop running Windows 7, a desktop running Windows Vista and an Android smartphone running Jelly Bean 4.2.2 (I don't think it will add much extra security to iOS devices)**

I've been using Norton on my PCs for years - it runs silently and unobtrusively in the background effortlessly taking care of business. Set up your options for when you want it to update virus definitions, run scheduled scans, carry out background tasks, etc and it all just happens effortlessly with no noticeable impact on my laptop or desktop's performance. If you just want peace of mind against nasties lurking on the web, opt for this - that little Norton logo with a green tick displayed in the task bar is VERY reassuring. Installation was straightforward and it automatically uninstalled my previous version of Norton 360.

When installing it I was presented with an 'Exclusive Norton Offer' to enrol in the "Automatic Renewal Service" and in the small print it states "By enrolling in the Norton Automatic Renewal Service, you authorise Symantec to automatically charge the then current renewal subscription fee, plus applicable taxes, to your credit or debit card". I didn't enrol and I would advise NOT enrolling because Norton will be able to charge you what they want when it's time to renew. In all the years I've been using Norton it's always been cheaper to purchase from Amazon. You may get lucky and get it at a cheaper price from Norton but you're basically at their mercy if you sign up for it.

Installation on my Android smartphone was straight forward. I just installed the NortonMobile app from the Google Play store, logged in using my Norton account details when prompted and it was up and running immediately. As well as the usual Anti-Malware, you can block calls and websites, back up your contacts and there are Anti-theft tools where you can locate your device and lock or wipe it if you need to. There's also an App Advisor that's checks the security of apps. To be honest, I wouldn't purchase this solely to use on an Android device (I only installed it because I had a spare licence) because there are free alternatives and Google's Android Device Manager covers the Anti-Theft function that this offers.

The Norton website confirms that following operating systems are supported by Norton Security 2.0 2015:

Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 (SP 3) or later.
Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP 1) or later.
Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP 1) or later.
Windows 8/8 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit).
Windows 8.1/8.1 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit).
Current and previous two versions of Mac OS X.
Android 2.3 or later (must have the Google Play app installed).
iOS 5 or later (Some features are not available on iPad and iPhone).
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2015 3:42 PM BST

Norton Security 2.0: 1 User, 1 Device [2015] (PC/Mac/iOS/Android)
Norton Security 2.0: 1 User, 1 Device [2015] (PC/Mac/iOS/Android)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still effortlessly taking care of business, 18 Nov. 2014
Norton Security 2015 combines features from their previous products (Norton Antivirus, Internet Security and 360) into one security suite and provides security for a multitude of operating systems (see below). **This review is for Norton installed on a laptop running Windows 7, a desktop running Windows Vista and an Android smartphone running Jelly Bean 4.2.2 (I don't think it will add much extra security to iOS devices)**

The Norton website confirms that following operating systems are supported by Norton Security 2015:

Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 (SP 3) or later.
Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP 1) or later.
Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP 1) or later.
Windows 8/8 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit).
Windows 8.1/8.1 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit).
Current and previous two versions of Mac OS X.
Android 2.3 or later (must have the Google Play app installed).
iOS 5 or later (Some features are not available on iPad and iPhone).

***Finally, if you just require Norton Internet Security and none of the Windows optimisation tools that Norton Security 2015 offers (nearly all can be run from within Windows without Norton) for a single PC, check the price of Norton Internet Security 21.0 (2014 Edition) - 1 Computer, 1 Year Subscription before purchasing this edition and go for the cheaper of the two. The 2014 edition does, as it states on the box, "Automatically updates to the latest version"***

SK hynix HFS512G32MNB-2202A 2.5-inch 512GB Solid State Drive
SK hynix HFS512G32MNB-2202A 2.5-inch 512GB Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and silent, 14 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I replaced a Toshiba 500GB SATA 3GB / 5400RPM fitted in my seven year old Aspire 5920 laptop with this drive and so far I've been very impressed with it. My laptop now boots up in 30 seconds (previously 50 seconds) and shuts down in a staggering 10 seconds (previously about 90 seconds) but the biggest difference with this SSD is how every file or software application now just opens up immediately - there are no pauses whilst my laptop thinks about what to do - they just open in a flash. My laptop now runs almost silently.

It doesn't come with any cloning software or instructions but you can find loads of guides online that can help you out should you need it. I housed it in an enclosure and connected it to my laptop and used freeware program AOMEI Backupper Standard Edition to clone my existing drive on the fly. Because this drive is a few gigabytes bigger than my existing one, it was a fast (approximately 90 minutes) and straightforward process. Once cloned, I removed my existing drive and this slotted perfectly into the existing mounting bracket despite it being 2mm slimmer. It's a bit more difficult if the capacity of your existing drive is bigger but AOEMI does have the option to clone individual partitions but, certainly for Windows, you'll need to have either your installation disc to hand or create a startup disk the first time you use it.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this drive - its makes a real difference and I'm now inclined to use my laptop more often and give my iPad a rest. The cost of solid state drives has fallen rapidly in the past few months and this represents good value for money for a 512 gigabyte SSD.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy Birthday, 29 Oct. 2014
An unwanted Birthday present from Nigel, my least favourite uncle.

Toshiba MQ01ABD050 500GB SATA 3GB/s 5400RPM 2.5 Inch 9.5mm Internal Hard Drive
Toshiba MQ01ABD050 500GB SATA 3GB/s 5400RPM 2.5 Inch 9.5mm Internal Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable upgrade, 24 Oct. 2014
I bought this to replace my Acer laptop's Toshiba 160GB SATA II 5,400rpm hard drive. I did consider an SSD but extra capacity was needed, not extra speed. I cloned the existing drive, and including a tidy up of the partitions using AOMEI Partition Assistant after I'd fitted it, the whole process took about 90 minutes. It's no quieter than my old drive but programs launch quicker than before and my laptop shuts down faster. Recommended

SanDisk Ultra Android 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card plus SD Adapter up to 48 MB/s, Class 10
Offered by B3Digital

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive 128GB Capacity, 22 Oct. 2014
It's good to see the capacity of the MicroSD card double to a whopping 128GB. I'm using mine exclusively for storing MP3s and I've managed to store over 800 CD albums ripped at 320kbps. Format it to exFAT and it'll work to its FULL capacity on most Android devices.

***To avoid the possibility of receiving a fake card, just order DIRECT from Amazon!***

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20