Profile for sam hrt > Reviews

Content by sam hrt

sam hrt (Lancs, England, Uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Project A [DVD]
Project A [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jackie Chan
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood favourite, 26 May 2007
This review is from: Project A [DVD] (DVD)
Everyone in my household is martial arts crazy (don't ask) so basically Jackie Chan was a household name at home. This is one of the movies I enjoyed at an early age, this is was the original 'pirates of the Caribbean' (unfortunately no Johnny Depp though ). This movie has it all, treasure, humour, kidnapping, explosions and of course Jackie going into hyper mode. A must see for all m. art fans! Trust me you'll love Jackie even more after this

The Moonlit Cage
The Moonlit Cage
by Linda Holeman

3.0 out of 5 stars A satisfactory novel, 26 May 2007
This review is from: The Moonlit Cage (Paperback)
This was the best sequel we were probably going to get after 'Linnet Bird.' it came as a surprise as this was not exactly the continuation of Linny's story but Darya who does become enthralled in Linny's life too later on. This book is a shocking insight to the possibilities of a woman in a rural land may face & the limited choices she must pick from or risk all. What annoyed me most about this book was that Holeman tries to justify prostitution in the form of Darya's grandmother & HER 'LOVE.' Her grandmother's 'blasphemous' views were completely unfounded & I found myself siding against her with the 'traditionalists.' The fact is it doesn't appear she understood much about Islam, so she veiled it by attacking the beliefs. It was particularly unnerving to watch Darya become influenced by her, but even more disturbing that she can't even protect her grandchild from the abuse she receives. This novel is just as powerful as 'Linnet Bird' & just as fierce yet the reader is sometimes left wondering at the actions of half the characters. This storyline is one I could guess mostly making it dull at times but after the marriage & the entrance of "David", Linny's son (!) things start to look up. Having read both books though I saw parallels in both books i.e. girls outside their 'normal' society. The gradual development of their relationship is a plus however, the ending just as glorious! David is guaranteed to steal any girls heart!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2013 6:03 PM BST

The Linnet Bird
The Linnet Bird
by Linda Holeman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read..., 25 May 2007
This review is from: The Linnet Bird (Paperback)
This book is an incredible read, exploring themes in Victorian society that many readers believe only exist in the 21st century e.g. rape, under-age sex, drugs, murder, child prostitution, contract marriages, domestic violence and adultery. Holeman somehow manages to combine all these into a very tight plot. This is a journey of a girl that starts before you pick up the book & you have feeling she'll be back. Linny is no Elizabeth Bennet in her terms of character strength but she is a street fighter ready to take on the world just to escape the slums. The let down in this book had to be the love-making scenes. They seem stiff and awkward other than that it was good. I know it's not a romance novel but come on! As a reader we are meant to understand the characters' emotions and the events that are happening to them. Sorry on that point she kind of let it slide.

Rebecca [DVD]
Rebecca [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Brilliant!!!, 13 May 2007
This review is from: Rebecca [DVD] (DVD)
Ok as an 18 year old I don't really watch 'old' movies. However, a friend recommended the book to me as an 'unusual ghost story' and the movie happened to be on by chance. I watched the 1st 10 minutes and I was hooked. It is a fantastic movie, completely under- rated and one I feel which will be absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to replicate today in terms of actors, atmosphere, locations and storyline. The actors were amazing (I can't stop praising them) Laurence really nailing the role as the torn lover between his guilt and love for his 2nd wife. Joan Fontaine shines as the 2nd wife, creating what appears an exciting, genuine chemistry with Laurence whilst retaining what appears like a natural sort of innocence, that makes her a joy to watch. If only their were more actresses like her today!!! The supporting cast is well presented too. With Mrs Danvers giving me the chills every time she came on screen. Poor Joan I felt so sorry for her! The suspense of this plot is what drives you to complete the movie like the 2nd Mrs de Winter (Joan) you wish to know what is wrong with Maxim (Laurence) truly.

Kung Fu Hustle [DVD] [2005]
Kung Fu Hustle [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Stephen Chow
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a box of tissues & a paramedic, 13 May 2007
This review is from: Kung Fu Hustle [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Absolutely AWESOME!! It left me breathless with laughter & blinded with tears. Thank goodness I'd been to the toilet before I started watching this movie... Highly recommended as it is on of the best/funniest movies I have ever seen. Hollywood can really learn from Stephen. Instead of doing re-makes of classics they should something original. This movie ticks every box for me as it so refreshing. Usually have to watch big blockbusters of Hollywood that either have too much smooching or too much limbs flying about with siblings. This is the first movie that I enjoyed with them in a very long time without 1 squabble. I know it's a miracle ;) Thanks for saving a Saturday night Stephen! Owe you!

Edward Scissorhands [1991] [DVD]
Edward Scissorhands [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a masterpiece, 13 May 2007
Not a huge blockbuster , but a gem all the same. Just goes to show that you don't need tons of money to make a outstanding movie. You just need JOHNNY DEPP! LOL.But here's the thing some people may find 'plot holes' in this movie and no matter how much I try to I can't. It's incredibly spell-binding, you can't help but be drawn into Edward's world, his mind. Incredible performances all around, but the star of the show was Johnny Depp. He completely nailed it. His soft-spoken voice and his blinding innocence touches my heart every time ever since I was ten years old. This movie made Johnny a star and it's nice to watch this with his latest movies and know he hasn't lost his spark. Rock on Johnny!

Mrs McGinty's Dead (Poirot)
Mrs McGinty's Dead (Poirot)
by Agatha Christie

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best mysteries I've read but not Agatha Christie's personal best, 11 May 2007
I'm on a crusade to read as many Agatha Christie books as possible. So this is the one I've read after 'Murder on the Orient Express', 'Evil under the sun', and 'Death on the Nile'. So yes I had high expectations. It's not that the storyline wasn't interesting , or the writing style sagged it was just that I found the setting of the murder dull. The village didn't exactly excite me as a place for murder. The villagers didn't seem suspicious enough, I mean that wasn't Agatha's usual style. Nonetheless, as usual she kepy me guessing until the very end.

Northern Lights (His Dark Materials)
Northern Lights (His Dark Materials)
by Philip Pullman

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 8 May 2007
This is such a break through for children's literature. It manages to create a fantastical world that is imperfect and people who are very human in thoughts & emotions but necessarily in physical attributes. One such person is Lyra, who like any child is curious to find out what goes on behi9nd close doors... Her adorable but imperfect nature leads her on an adventure whose scale she can't even comprehend.

The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Todays Great Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but..., 8 May 2007
This movie is not for anyone who takes their movies seriously or watches with incredible amounts of attention. Mainly because the scriptwriters have managed to leave great big holes in the plot. For e.g. you don't really get to see Anne's ambitious nature. It's just mentions as a sideline kind of thing. I also got the impression that the fashion world wasn't exactly exposed enough. There wasn't really much to say that wow she's doing so well. Also I felt that Anne didn't really commit any crime for trying to do well at her job. I mean you have to make some sacrifices in any job. I was disappointed when Anne didn't realise that & the fact she'd been only expose d to a successful businesswoman who failed in her married life is a bit stereotypical. You can do what you want and some people still find the balance in their lives. Thus, I HATED the ending. On the plus side, Meryl & Emily shine as the nasty pieces of work.

Moth Smoke
Moth Smoke
by Mohsin Hamid

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocking insight to Pakistani society, 7 May 2007
This review is from: Moth Smoke (Paperback)
I found this book to be shocking and disturbing because like everyone else had a formed idea of what Pakistani society would be like for an author (to write about) and this was not it. Th author has cleverly managed to introduce Western traits (rejection of arranged marriages) in the book blend them with Pakistani ones and then openly discuss them. This is a book which will have an everlasting impact on the reader but its not ever one's cup of tea because it discusses issues which many people will be uncomfortable with for e.g. child abuse & adultery. Definitely one of the most powerful books I've read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6