Profile for Mr. Paul J. Wyatt > Reviews

Content by Mr. Paul J. Wyatt

Mr. Paul J. Wyatt (Derby, England)

The Simpsons: Tapped Out (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Simpsons: Tapped Out (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 22 Sep 2013
Love it. Starts off slowly but then becomes very addictive. Lots of nice little touches too if you are a fan of the Simpsons.

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Already one of my favourites., 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
I didn't really know what to expect when I bought this book. I just had heard of the content and knew it would be a bit different.

It certainly is different but in a wonderful, wonderful way. I read this book very quickly (for me) as I could not stop reading as I was so absorbed in the characters.

At first, when reading about them in Room, it almost got a tiny little bit tedious, but having finished this book I realise now that that part of the book is where the brilliance lies and is so well done I may have to go back and revisit it soon to trully absorb it.

Please don't be put off by the issues and situation faced in the book. Yes, it has it's sad moments but it also is really charming and funny as it's seen through the perspective of a child that is learning how to live in the real world.

I really hope this book does win the Booker prize as it deserves it in my opinion. It probably won't though as something as well written and accessible as this, tends to lose in favour of things like the awful Wolf Hall (yawn)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Thriller (even better if you have a degree in Swedish Place Names), 8 April 2010
Really enjoyed this book. Could do with a bit of a trim (in my opinion) as the set up does take quite some time and you are bombarded with a lot of characters and info all at once, which in retrospect wasn't all needed and I always try to absorb all detail in case it's needed later (which it's not here). Took me about 150 pages to get into it but once the story really kicks in it's definitely a page turner. I think there has been a lot of hype over these books and although they are great, they are just stomping good page turning thrillers, nothing more, nothing less. That is not a critisism at all just merely my take on it.

Only slight annoyance is the author's use of place names every other sentence which is really distracting and annoyed me a little (the next two novels are arguably even worse for this.) Can't imagine writing a book about London for instance and having every step of every street documented as it becomes a little tedious.

Also, not to appear somewhat xenophobic, but Swedish place names are not the easiest things to read. So instead of (this is a made up example). "He walked to the supermarket to buy some bread" You get here "He turned right out of his house onto Bjurgenstaten and then turned left toward Djurgensvergsdon and took a left down Sljurgenvargen where he then headed to the supermarket on Glydersgatan Street, located in Blyderbjergen." It just seems a little unnecessary but of course am being a bit picky here! I still maintain that this style would be a bit weird even if the place names were in the UK...

Again, this became actually more amusing than a major annoyance which affected the story which at it's heart is a corker.

And for those of you that like this one. I felt that the second once was even better.

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthy but no need for it to be so confusing, 21 Oct 2009
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Hardcover)
Have finished this book and am sure it's very worthy of all the accolades but I really found this quite a hard slog and I'm quite a prolific reader. The story is really interesting but I am so glad to see other reviewers on here that had the same horrendous problem of trying to follow who was talking whenever there is any dialogue. Fair enough to refer to Cromwell as "he" if you're going to stick to that and use it exclusively, but when you use "he" for other people during the same conversation, it's really confusing and I found myself having to re-read paragraphs containing dialogue (as a result this took me so much longer to read than normal and I feel like I've read it 3 times). Obviously am not one to comment on such a good writer but it would have been so much more of a pleasure (rather than a chore) to read if it had been either written in first person or clearer reference used as to who is talking.
Comment Comments (84) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2014 8:31 PM GMT

Tina Live [CD + DVD]
Tina Live [CD + DVD]
Price: 8.30

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for Tina but 0 for the director, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Tina Live [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Amazing value for money. Was lucky enough to see the show live on the last night of the tour in Sheffield and was blown away. Never the biggest Tina fan, I went to see a living legend on (hopefully not) her final tour. They really don't make talent like this any more. Never before have I seen (and I've seen LOADS of shows) someone command attention so easily and her voice has to be heard live to appreciate it. I shouldn't really mention her age as it sounds patronising but the energy this woman has for someone almost 70 is incredible. The scale of the show is awesome, the effects etc but at the heart of it is Tina and her voice and energy. Absolutely unforgettable. If you're unsure, you won't be disappointed. This isn't a cash in comeback tour like other people do, this is clearly something that Tina lives for.

Having said all of that, the dvd is slightly disappointing in that for some unknown reason the director/editor seems to be obsessed by the female dancers and cuts to them at every opportunity even when Tina's on stage and when she is the one we are paying to see
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2010 11:12 PM GMT

Dexter by Design
Dexter by Design
by Jeffry P. Lindsay
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars When will he stop writing these - and when will I stop reading them?!, 4 Oct 2009
This review is from: Dexter by Design (Paperback)
I think it's pretty much a given that book 3 is dire but this one comes pretty close. I bought this as it was meant to be back on form but it's exactly the same as the first 2 books (which were good) but it's as if he can only write the same story over and over. The character of Debs gets more annoying than ever in here. Why does she insist that Dexter do her job for her constantly?

Anyway, call me crazy but I know that by the time the next one comes out I will probably buy it and read that one too because I'm a completest and a glutton for punishment.

God Bless America: Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit: Diaries of an Englishman in the Land of the Free
by Piers Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars God bless this opinionated man, 12 April 2009
Having read his previous 2 diary style books, I had to pre-order this one too and devoured it in a couple of days.

These books are so addictive. The circles that Piers moves in and the way he commentates are always refreshing and he's not afraid to say what he thinks despite bumping into the same people he's written about (often negatively) in previous volumes. You have to admire his integrity!! Of course, he's opinionated and arrogant, that's a given. It's also why I buy these books and would expect nothing less. He's a massive name dropper, but what names they are! And I would do exactly the same. He's obviously loving every second of his life and who can blame him.

Keep on writing Piers!!!