Profile for Mark R. Bannister > Reviews

Content by Mark R. Bannister

Mark R. Bannister (London, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Robo Rover Galt Toy
Robo Rover Galt Toy
Price: 15.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor instructions and broke within an hour, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Robo Rover Galt Toy (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Even I had trouble following the instructions, which expect you to put together a simple circuit by connecting wires between terminals, but based on very grainy small photographs in the instruction booklet and no supporting text. I made this thing work in the end, but it took a bit of clever guesswork because the photograph of the completed circuit which you're supposed to follow is a bit like trying to follow spaghetti and there appears to be an extra wire in the photograph that doesn't come with the kit (and you don't need).

Once I had it working, my son played with it for a bit. It goes forward a bit slowly. It beeps when it detects an obstacle, backs up turning as it goes, and then goes forward again. It's not really that interesting to play with because there's very little you can do with it (turn it on and watch it, stick your foot in front of it?). My 2 year old then got hold of it and was playing with it like a toy car for a few minutes, and that was it. It'll never work again because the plastic around the wheel axle is so flimsy that it has some space to wobble now and the wheel cogs are slipping as soon as there is more friction applied to it than the weight of a feather.

Cheaply made, not inspiring, bad instructions, this is not a good toy.

Mega Mosaics Galt
Mega Mosaics Galt
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, doesn't suit the age, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Mega Mosaics Galt (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These mosaics say age 5+, but they are pictures covered in at least a hundred numbered squares (from numbers 1 to 8) where each number represents a different colour foam tile that you stick over it. This is very boring for a 5 year old. You can clearly see the picture before you begin the mosaic, the numbers are in clusters, and unless you're still learning to identify single digits there is no enjoyment to be had from this.

Probably one reason they say 5+ is because the foam tiles you stick on are small, too small for say a 3 year old to safely play with. But my son stuck on about ten tiles on one picture before he'd had enough.

Pampers New Baby Sensitive 2 (Mini) - (Pack of 48)
Pampers New Baby Sensitive 2 (Mini) - (Pack of 48)
Price: 8.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Softer and thinner, but wouldn't pay any more for them, 23 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are one size up from the newborn nappies I've also just reviewed. As with all of the Pampers range, they fit well, have always kept our children dry, and the sensitive version does feel a bit softer and a bit thinner than the non-sensitive variety. If they were the same price, I would choose the sensitive nappies because of this, however, I wouldn't pay more for them.

Pampers New Baby Sensitive 1 (Newborn) - (Pack of 39)
Pampers New Baby Sensitive 1 (Newborn) - (Pack of 39)
Price: 5.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Softer and thinner, but should be easier to fold down, 23 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We compared this with the non-sensitive version of Pampers New Born, which had all the same features such as wetness indicator (something we've only just discovered now with our third baby and will certainly start looking at now!). Both nappies had stretchy elastic and fit well, although they are not easy to fold down below the umbilical stump, something that we have found with each of our children and has not been improved over the years. We have to attach the sticky tabs of the nappy down at a steep angle, not across as shown in photographs, and fold these nappies twice over at the front to avoid the umbilical stump. Pampers ought to design their nappies better to make this task of folding the nappy down easier.

That said, the sensitive version feels a bit softer, a bit less lumpy and a bit thinner than the non-sensitive variety, so we do prefer these. If we had a choice between buying the sensitive vs. the non-sensitive, if they were the same price, we'd go with the sensitive. However, we wouldn't pay more for it, because the non-sensitive is just fine too.

Fisher-Price Rainforest Pushchair Toy Arch
Fisher-Price Rainforest Pushchair Toy Arch
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Toys not detachable, might not be able to reach, 23 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These stroller toys attach well to pushchairs and also, we have found, to the sides of our crib. The clamps can be tightened and loosened to fit different sizes. The bar from which the toys dangle can be put in two positions, a backward and a forward angle, which increases options for where to position it. It's a nice, bright and colourful toy. However, I don't think the toys dangle down far enough and they are not detachable (they are tied on, there is no velcro). This might make it hard to entertain our young ones if they are unable to reach that high.

Pampers Sensitive Refill Pack Giga 12 x Packs of 56 (672 Wipes)
Pampers Sensitive Refill Pack Giga 12 x Packs of 56 (672 Wipes)
Offered by Groceries R US
Price: 18.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Thicker is better, warmer is nicer, 23 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've always liked this brand of wipes, but these are thicker now which is even better. They are lovely and soft, nice and moist and they clean well. My only wish is for wipes to be warmer! Babies and young children do not like having their bottoms wiped with cold wipes, especially in cold weather, which means we end up running them under a warm tap before using them. This defeats the point of having them moist in the pack already. So perhaps for Pampers' next invention they should come up with disposable wipes that are not moist but which we are expected to run under a warm tap first. They can then be cheaper too!

Halsall - Traditional Chess
Halsall - Traditional Chess
Offered by JCS TOYBOX
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, classic chess pieces, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Halsall - Traditional Chess (Toy)
These classic chess pieces are very good value and great for teaching kids. It does what it says on the box. "Chess". (It's surprising how much more you could pay for a chess set when you really don't need to).

Bobby Car Classic - Red
Bobby Car Classic - Red
Price: 32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic toy, my son never tires of it, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bobby Car Classic - Red (Toy)
My 2 year old races around the house on this and has loved it ever since we bought it for him for Christmas. He adores chasing his brother around on it, and is always asking to go on the "bobby car". (And when he's had enough of the bobby car, then my 4 year old wants a go!). It's lovely to see such entertainment brought from a single toy, one of our best purchases for him!

TOMY Megasketcher
TOMY Megasketcher
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine lines, great quality, rubbing out a bit stiff, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: TOMY Megasketcher (Toy)
This is a very good sketcher, you get a much finer quality of drawing and writing on this from the sketchers we've used with the children in the past. This, coupled with the size, means you can get a lot on it. The one downside is it does seem to take several attempts to rub the picture out and the level is quite hard to pull for my 2 year old. But the children love it nonetheless.

Tom And Jerry: Classic Collection - Volume 1 [DVD] [2004]
Tom And Jerry: Classic Collection - Volume 1 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Tom and Jerry
Price: 4.04

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 year old has been introduced to Tom and Jerry!, 27 Mar 2014
...and he loves it! Now he's always asking to watch this DVD. I thought it was about time I introduced him to some classic cartoons, as CBeebies lacks this sort of material ! (Gone are the days when there was a much greater mixture of content on TV suitable for kids). This DVD is great value and packs in almost 3 hours of cartoons, enough to keep my son occupied for as long as I'll let him!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18