Profile for M. Harper > Reviews

Content by M. Harper

M. Harper (UK)

Octane Magazine(Kindle Tablet Edition)
Octane Magazine(Kindle Tablet Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cloud only, 5 Dec 2014
The app is free and you have to pay for the magazine which is fair enough but I'm finding that you magazine downloads every time I read it while I read it which is ok at home but means I can't read it on my Kindle when I am away. Also I have to flick through loads of past issues I haven't bought to get to the one I have.

Other annoyances are that it is rather small on a Kindle Fire. Pinching to zoom is a bit erratic. I am not some half blind old lodger either.

I suspect this works better on a full size iPad than a Kindle.

Plays With Cars
Plays With Cars

4.0 out of 5 stars Frothy fun, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Plays With Cars (Kindle Edition)
I stumbled upon DeMuro's writings and decided to buy the ebook on a whim.

It's a fun stocking filler for anybody who lets their heart rule their head when it comes to buying cars.

Very very American though.

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" Standing Polyurethane Origami Case (will only fit All-New Kindle Fire HD 7"), Citron

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable case, doesn't work as a stand, 27 April 2014
I bought this because I was intrigued by the idea of it folding up and acting as a viewing stand. I needn't have bothered as the magnets aren't strong enough to hold the flaps at the back together. It might improve with use but I doubt it

As a case it is OK. The Kindle clips in easily and the magnets keep the cover closed and the Kindle switched off when you aren't using it. The loudspeakers are exposed and the buttons are replicated on the case so they can be used when the case it on without large cut-outs needed.

As the viewing function doesn't work I can't recommend a purchase to you at this price. You can buy non-Amazon branded ones for far less money.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
by Haruki Murakami

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Murakami, 11 July 2013
You know roughly what you are going to get with a Murakami novel:
Sex: some
Loneliness: check
Cats: check
Jazz/classical music: check
Alternative realities: check
Unresolved ending: actually not too bad in this one.

Amiable Toru leaves his job because he feels it isn't right for him. While he is looking for another one his cat then his wife leave him.

Various people come and visit him including an old officer from the Imperial Japanese Army who writes to him about the Japanese army experience in Manchuria, some psychic sisters and the rather mysterious Nutmeg and Cinnammon.

If you can accept this is a story where Toru can pass through walls into another reality if he wants to hard enough and a woman can choose to enter Toru's dreams then you will probably enjoy Murakami's elegant writing and imagination. If you prefer your books grounded in reality and the loose ends tied up neatly then this probably isn't for you.

How to Cheat at Managing Information Security
How to Cheat at Managing Information Security
by Osborne

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to the subject, 8 Aug 2012
Most of these type of books are written by Americans for Americans so they rarely acknowledge the rest of the world. This is different as it recognises that the UK and Europe exist.

This is not a text book or a treatise on security. This is an excellent guide to what you need to know as a novice IT Security Manager and condenses years of the author's experience into a very readable book.

If you ever wanted to know, in normal English, what are the key points of Cisco Pix or how to do a basic set up of an Intrusion Protection System this is the book for you.

It is definately not a general interest book. It is unashamedly aimed at the IT professional, assumes a reasonable technical background and has no glossary of the abbreviations used.

There were several disappointments. For a start it has clearly not been copy edited and [...] has a section on errata.

The quality of the printing was poor. It is printed in Canada but it like is was printed on a poor quality ink-jet, photocopied onto quality paper and bound. Some of the diagrams are unreadable and it is slightly dated in places. Events have moved on since 2012 when the book was published, this is understandable.

Overall I can't recomend this book highly enough if you are an IT practitioner with an interest or responsibility for security.

Generation A
Generation A
by Douglas Coupland

3.0 out of 5 stars Is Coupland the ultimate post-modern author?, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Generation A (Paperback)
I met Douglas Coupland at a book signing and he was such a lovely guy with time for everyone who wanted to chat to him that I hope he doesn't read this and take it the wrong way...

I do wonder if he has lost interest in writing novels and is more preoccupied with the other work he is involved in. Perhaps he is churning out work to meet a contractual obligation in the absence of new ideas?

Generation X first turned me on to Coupland, since then I've read practically everything he's written. Generation A has echoes of Gen X like JPod is like Microserfs for the Internet age. Neither are sequels but both are similar to the earlier novels in structure.

However - while JPod stands on its own as a really good novel Generation A, with 5 people eventually brought together on an isolated island to tell stories to each other, offers few insights into our culture or condition.

Douglas - finish the book writing and get back to sculpture or whatever is your first love these days before you damage your reputation.

Air (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Air (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Geoff Ryman

2.0 out of 5 stars Can I have 2 weeks of my life back please?, 9 Sep 2009
This review is from: Air (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Paperback)
After having read reviews of this book and having previously read The King's Last Song I was really looking forward to reading this book. How disappointed was I!

I won't go through the plot of the book as you can get that elsewhere but for me the book is in 4 parts. The first part with Mae learning about Air was really good, gripping, well written and very clever with how Ryman creates this fictional village and introduces the characters, politics and social strata of the village.

The second part, where Mae goes to the city and enters a research facility is where it all goes pear shaped. The talking dog was light relief but a bit silly, a part where Mae walks through a chain link fence by using the power of Air felt like something out of The Matrix and was not explored further.

The third part where Mae tries to warn the villagers of a possible coming flood was so tedious I would have given up if I hadn't been reading this, at my suggestion, for my local book group. It went on and on and on. In great, turgid detail. I think that it was supposed to be a metaphore for how the coming of "info" will affect the villagers in turn but I was so bored by it I skim read this part just to get through it.

And the final chapter, set in the future / an alternative reality / fantasy?? felt tacked on.

I felt there was a really good book to be written about the coming of the Internet to remote villages but this wasn't it. Ryman really needed a good editor to say - No. Stop getting bogged down, introduce fewer ideas but develop the ideas you leave better and cut about 150 pages.

A real missed opportunity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2010 12:15 PM GMT

JPod
JPod
by Douglas Coupland

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing postmodern tale of amoral Canadians, 16 May 2007
This review is from: JPod (Paperback)
I admit I'm a fan of early Coupland so I was very eager to get my hands on this book.

The first time I read it I was SO disappointed. Its like a rehash of Microserfs. And what is it with Coupland and recycling character names? There just didn't seem to be a point to the book.

Then, for some reason, I re-read it. And loved it!

Once you realise that all the characters, except the central character Ethan (recognise the name from Microserfs?), are totally amoral it becomes very funny.

I wouldn't start reading Coupland with this book. Read Gen X, then Microserfs, then jPod and you will appreciate it more.

Team America: World Police [DVD]
Team America: World Police [DVD]
Dvd ~ Trey Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly well crafted, 12 Feb 2006
Yes it a bit scatalogical and yes it's a bit simplistic but this is a surprisingly well made film.
The makers of South Park have made a slightly more adult film spoofing Thunderbirds and various films and satirising American foreign policy and the political posturing of self important actors.
It is funny, and the language is crude but there's a point when one of the puppets is killed and the others are mourning that I thought was quite touching. There's another bit where the team has been attacked and they head off almost on a suicide run that is also quite sad.
Don't think this is celebrating American ignorance. Quite the opposite and the stereotypes on the team is a deliberate mock of simple Hollywood films.
Overall the film comes over as having been an absolute party to make and that makes it a joy to watch. Check out the use of domestic moggys as panthers and a dog fish as a shark mauling Hans Blick - inspired!

HTML: Definitive Guide
HTML: Definitive Guide
by Bill Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably readable, 14 Oct 1999
This review is from: HTML: Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Not only does this book cover almost everything I wanted to know, with useful examples, but the authors have a dry wit and there is a smattering of sarcastic footnotes and droll observations that make the book an easy read. This is my first O'Reilly book. If they are all like this it will not be my last.