Profile for M. G. Collins > Reviews

Beaverdale (30 Bt) Wine Kit - Cabernet Sauvignon
Beaverdale (30 Bt) Wine Kit - Cabernet Sauvignon
Offered by BiggerJugs

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a very nice wine, 29 May 2014
I've had this before and it makes a nice wine fairly quickly.
If you rack off at an SG of 1.010 then make sure it hasn't dropped much below that. I did one with an SG of 1.008 and the fermentation stopped and was not easy to get it going again. I did the latest at 1.010 and kept the less for a day and the racked wine soon started bubbling nicely. I was also able to rack off a bit more fairly clear wine from the lees and top up the main vessel so that's win win isn't it. My girlfriend thinks as these mature they're on a par with the not very expensive wines from Naked Wines and better than the cheaper ranges from supermarkets. If you want better then get your wallet out I guess.
I'll stick with the Beaverdale and similar quality kits and add artificial sweetener if they're too dry for my taste.

Tiger Keyboard Bench with Adjustable Stool
Tiger Keyboard Bench with Adjustable Stool

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy construction but not as high as stated., 29 May 2014
I like the seat and it adjusts well but as mentioned by Shah the adjustment range is not as stated. I measured mine at maximum giving 52cm and that is just fine for my height with the keyboard (white keys) at 74cm. A shorter bodied person would find this too low, or the keyboard too high.
With a fixed height keyboard I suppose you could use an extra layer of cushion or foam but that's not ideal.

Makita 193533-3 Battery BL1830 3.0 Ah Lithium Ion
Makita 193533-3 Battery BL1830 3.0 Ah Lithium Ion
Offered by AHC Powertools

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement battery at a better price., 29 May 2014
Li-ion batteries are known for getting their charging circuits in a tizz. The newer Makita batteries are supposed to be better.
This battery arrived pretty much fully charged and was tipped up in no time really. I've only used it a few times and it's holding it's charge well enough. Time will tell I suppose but it's a much better price than my regular trade supplier.

200 X 6" SQUARE PEGS FOR FIXING ANCHORING SECURING WEED CONTROL FABRIC LANDSCAPE MEMBRANE FLEECE
Offered by Gardener's Dream Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 29 May 2014
Based on how they clip down weed control for the Strawberries at a local National Trust property I used these at two foot (60cm) intervals to clip down my strawberries and it's looking good. I can usually just push them in by hand after wiggling the point through the fabric but may use a light mallet where the soil's a little more compacted.

Digital LCD Temperature Humidity Meter Alarm Clock Calendar Temp HTC-1
Digital LCD Temperature Humidity Meter Alarm Clock Calendar Temp HTC-1
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 29 May 2014
I bought two of these meters and on delivery I opened them up. The one on top gave a much higher temperature reading than the other but after a while out of the sun they settled down.

The temperatures displayed where within a degree at worst and the relative humidity was a good match.
I set them next to a decent quality thermometer display and the three were pretty close all the time.
I reckon they were both less than half a degree out and what with the humidity display too I think it's difficult to find fault other than they don't show changes very quickly which is not much of a complaint is it!

On reflection - Very good for the price!

Corsair CMX4GX3M2B2000C9 XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2000 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster than bog standard., 17 Sep 2013
My Gigabyte motherboard didn't want to go this fast but when told to it did the job as it is in the range allowed. I could have tried faster memory but the price starts to get silly for limited benefit. I'm happy with this, once installed I ran memory tests overnight and, as expected, no errors. What more can you ask for?

Monacor CLUB-1TOP PA Speaker Cabinet Pair
Monacor CLUB-1TOP PA Speaker Cabinet Pair

5.0 out of 5 stars Great on stands with a subwoofer., 17 Sep 2013
I use these on stands to get the height above the dancers and they perform very well as mid range and top end speakers. They're well made, feeling very solid. I like the tone and the speaker connectors are 4 pole Neutrik so won't fall out.
They must be used with a separate subwoofer. I got these to replace a couple of smaller speakers and kept my subwoofer and they go well together. I use these at a small dance venue and customers have commented on how well it all sounds so I'm a happy DJ.

25 Litre Fermentation Vessel / Bucket / Bin + airlock
25 Litre Fermentation Vessel / Bucket / Bin + airlock
Offered by BiggerJugs

4.0 out of 5 stars Seals very well., 17 Sep 2013
It says to use petroleum jelly round the seals and rim, so I put some Vaseline (other brands are available) round the bung and the airlock and it fitted in very easily. (Now who would have guessed that?) I also used some round the rim and that may have made it a bit easier to get the lid to fit. It does take a bit of effort to click it on all the way round but the seal is spot on, unlike many other bins.

The down side is that there are no level markers and you can only just see the wine level through the plastic. That's not an issue if you measure what's going in of course or if you're transferring from another bin.
I liked them enough to buy another two.

Kärcher 15m Pipe And Drain Cleaning Kit - Pressure Washer Accessory
Kärcher 15m Pipe And Drain Cleaning Kit - Pressure Washer Accessory

3.0 out of 5 stars Try getting a spare nozzle, 18 July 2013
I bought one of these a few years ago and with care it works quite well clearing 4" pipe though it does struggle getting round bends in smaller pipes and won't go through traps. At some time it must have got some grit in the line which blocked one of the jets and wore part of the brass nozzle away. I managed to remove the grit and get it working after a fashion but tried to get a replacement nozzle from Karcher.
First I was told that they didn't sell them, then after chasing them I got a part number and the price was £38.57 which is absolutely ridiculous. I can buy the 7.5m kit which includes the nozzle for less than that.
My solution for a replacement is to buy an adaptor (about £11) for the Nilfisk 15m pipe cleaner which looks like it handles thinner pipes better and is half the price of the Karcher 15m kit. As a plus I can use most Nilfisk accessories too.

Branx Fitness Foldable 'Cardio Pro' Treadmill - 20km/h, 5hp, 0-20% Auto Incline
Branx Fitness Foldable 'Cardio Pro' Treadmill - 20km/h, 5hp, 0-20% Auto Incline
Offered by BRANX FITNESS

3.0 out of 5 stars Good machine but keep it away from your router., 10 April 2013
I ordered this machine for a lady who was due a triple bypass and had to walk on the level and not in the cold.
This looked the ideal machine as it would do for us both when she's fitter too.
It was ideal as on the first day out of hospital she was able to try it then on day two could walk at between 1 and 2 kph and stop as required. It was easy to increase the speed and just stop when the distance covered was enough.
The instructions were in Chenglish but good enough for the basics but didn't cover the 48 set modes. It needs a better manual on site for new and existing customers.
The down side was that when we re-arranged the room it would interfere with the cheap router which dropped out and was slower on reconnect. The effect was reduced by placing a dry laundry basket between the motor end and the router. I also tried it with my TP-Link router when I brought the machine home and it was similar there but not quite as bad though the router was less than 6 feet from the motor so maybe I'm asking too much.
Overall I'm pleased with the treadmill as it does what we want and would recommend it, just don't have it too close to a router.

EDIT. I should point out that in both cases the machine was equally close to a Freeview TV and didn't affect either so no need to get worried about that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 11:44 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2