Profile for M. G. Collins > Reviews

Content by M. G. Collins

M. G. Collins (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Corsair CMX4GX3M2B2000C9 XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2000 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster than bog standard., 17 Sept. 2013
My Gigabyte motherboard didn't want to go this fast but when told to it did the job as it is in the range allowed. I could have tried faster memory but the price starts to get silly for limited benefit. I'm happy with this, once installed I ran memory tests overnight and, as expected, no errors. What more can you ask for?

Monacor CLUB-1TOP PA Speaker Cabinet Pair
Monacor CLUB-1TOP PA Speaker Cabinet Pair

5.0 out of 5 stars Great on stands with a subwoofer., 17 Sept. 2013
I use these on stands to get the height above the dancers and they perform very well as mid range and top end speakers. They're well made, feeling very solid. I like the tone and the speaker connectors are 4 pole Neutrik so won't fall out.
They must be used with a separate subwoofer. I got these to replace a couple of smaller speakers and kept my subwoofer and they go well together. I use these at a small dance venue and customers have commented on how well it all sounds so I'm a happy DJ.

25 Litre Fermentation Vessel / Bucket / Bin + airlock
25 Litre Fermentation Vessel / Bucket / Bin + airlock
Offered by BiggerJugs

4.0 out of 5 stars Seals very well., 17 Sept. 2013
It says to use petroleum jelly round the seals and rim, so I put some Vaseline (other brands are available) round the bung and the airlock and it fitted in very easily. (Now who would have guessed that?) I also used some round the rim and that may have made it a bit easier to get the lid to fit. It does take a bit of effort to click it on all the way round but the seal is spot on, unlike many other bins.

The down side is that there are no level markers and you can only just see the wine level through the plastic. That's not an issue if you measure what's going in of course or if you're transferring from another bin.
I liked them enough to buy another two.

Kärcher 15m Pipe And Drain Cleaning Kit K2 to K7 -Pressure Washer Accessory
Kärcher 15m Pipe And Drain Cleaning Kit K2 to K7 -Pressure Washer Accessory

3.0 out of 5 stars Try getting a spare nozzle, 18 July 2013
I bought one of these a few years ago and with care it works quite well clearing 4" pipe though it does struggle getting round bends in smaller pipes and won't go through traps. At some time it must have got some grit in the line which blocked one of the jets and wore part of the brass nozzle away. I managed to remove the grit and get it working after a fashion but tried to get a replacement nozzle from Karcher.
First I was told that they didn't sell them, then after chasing them I got a part number and the price was £38.57 which is absolutely ridiculous. I can buy the 7.5m kit which includes the nozzle for less than that.
My solution for a replacement is to buy an adaptor (about £11) for the Nilfisk 15m pipe cleaner which looks like it handles thinner pipes better and is half the price of the Karcher 15m kit. As a plus I can use most Nilfisk accessories too.

Branx Fitness Foldable 'Cardio Pro' Touchscreen Console Treadmill
Branx Fitness Foldable 'Cardio Pro' Touchscreen Console Treadmill

3.0 out of 5 stars Good machine but keep it away from your router., 10 April 2013
I ordered this machine for a lady who was due a triple bypass and had to walk on the level and not in the cold.
This looked the ideal machine as it would do for us both when she's fitter too.
It was ideal as on the first day out of hospital she was able to try it then on day two could walk at between 1 and 2 kph and stop as required. It was easy to increase the speed and just stop when the distance covered was enough.
The instructions were in Chenglish but good enough for the basics but didn't cover the 48 set modes. It needs a better manual on site for new and existing customers.
The down side was that when we re-arranged the room it would interfere with the cheap router which dropped out and was slower on reconnect. The effect was reduced by placing a dry laundry basket between the motor end and the router. I also tried it with my TP-Link router when I brought the machine home and it was similar there but not quite as bad though the router was less than 6 feet from the motor so maybe I'm asking too much.
Overall I'm pleased with the treadmill as it does what we want and would recommend it, just don't have it too close to a router.

EDIT. I should point out that in both cases the machine was equally close to a Freeview TV and didn't affect either so no need to get worried about that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 11:44 AM BST

Water Blaster XLR Water Cannon
Water Blaster XLR Water Cannon
Offered by Dave's Emporium Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Gives a good range, 10 April 2013
Like others have said it dribbles a bit so hold it pointing up a bit and only fill it when you want to use it. However I reckon I got close to 60 feet range using an elevation of about 40 to 45 degrees.
Now where is that pesky cat? :)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 28 Feb. 2013
The goods arived promptly and the laptop memory modules were subjected to Memtest 86 and all worked.
I would use them again.

Cuisinart ICE30 Ice Cream Maker
Cuisinart ICE30 Ice Cream Maker

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Good Ice Cream, 18 Aug. 2011
I've had this for a week or so and made 3 varieties of Ice Cream with it. The recipes are supplied though I did make a plain coffee flavoured one using granules and that was "Yummy".
I made strawberry using the supplied recipe which neglected to tell me to put the half of the strawberries that were puréed in the mix.
I did and 5 minutes before I expected it to be ready I added the chopped strawberries. There wasn't enough room so I had to scoop some out and pop that in the fridge whilst that in the machine finished off. After scooping out the ice cream I put the surplus back in for 6 minutes and that made good ice cream too.
I found the bits of strawberry a disappointment as they were a bit like icicles in the ice cream so next time I'll purée the lot as otherwise it was super.
I've made some with Crème Fraiche and it worked well.
My only complaint is that it is a bit noisy but you can take the edge off that by draping a towel over the machine whilst it's running.

I'm pleased with my purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2012 4:25 PM BST

Basics Roof Construction (Basics Series)
Basics Roof Construction (Basics Series)
by Tanja Brotrück

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the DIYer, 16 Jun. 2010
I'm building a garage extension and wanted to know things like how the woodwork ties in with the brickwork and the construction of joists and rafters.
Also how to make it waterproof at the edges where I want to put in lead flashing. This book does not have that information.
It claims to be for the student architect etc which it may well be. It does have some interesting information about different types of roof and dormers which is good.
If you want to find out how to do it then get a different book.

Page: 1 | 2